Which radio transmitter for EOS 5D used with older Bowens GM500 (none radio) monoblocks?

Edit My Images
No
Just bought some Bowens GM500 strobe heads that are non-radio, but have a sync socket on the back.

To be used with Canon EOS 5D.

From what I can gather the GM500 heads have a cell built in so detect flash from other heads so I will need a radio transmitter to fit on hot shoe of Canon and a receiver to plug into the sync socket of just one of the heads to allow me to trigger them all.

Somebody said PocketWizard, but they seem pricy for a simple electronic device that simply sends out a quick signal. They might have features and functions I don't need, see my requirements above.

I don't want cheap crap that is built like crap that won't work, will break or be totally 'twitchy' and unreliable.

I know there are cheap brands out there: Godox, Neewer etc, no idea if these are any good though.

Can anybody recommend a budget make/model that I could buy. Also, for future, I'd also like recommendation for a higher quality make/model that I can upgrade to if the lesser one proves unreliable.

Thanks.

PocketWizards are expensive because they were the best at one point, there's not really much reason to spend a fortune on them now given the alternatives but it is impressive how long their kit has lasted although it's not that expensive to buy a couple of used Plus I or Plus II triggers.

I think the cheapest branded option is a Yongnuo RF-603CII, you'll need to add a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter to plug it into a Bowens head. I don't know if it's especially better than the generic Chinese radio triggers.

Another option you may want to consider is an IR blaster, it's just a device that sits in the hotshoe and sends a powerful IR signal which'll trigger the optical sensor on your heads, one like this works reasonably well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263121113700 it's powerful enough the IR signal will work fine in most indoor settings.

I used the older RF602 I think it was or 3. They are currently sat in a drawer somewhere so if you can be a little bit patient whilst I find them, I’m happy to stick them in the post. I don’t use them. I had a receiver connected to 1 strobe and the other was triggered by the photocell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pixel-Ki...180423&hash=item3d8e9304fe:g:WCcAAOSwRgJXkhS2

I bought from this seller the nikon version and it is fantastic. not only transmitter and receiver but also the transmitter allows a flash to go on top. some don't.

Mine also was advertised as the mk2 version but when it came it was the latest mk 3 version
b9rWdRS.jpg

Mine

Last edited:
That only has transmitter,,the one I suggest is rx and tx if you get the latest version. Well mine does anyway

Last edited:
I used Yongnuo poverty wizards or at least tried them out a couple of times on my 5D, flashing wasn't for me

ok sorry didn't or don't know that radio setup. Just posted new link new with a huge range 300 mtr claimed. I have tested mine up to 70 mtr and works fine no delay or anything

Last edited:
I would recommend you just get one of these which are made for the job:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless...149062&hash=item25626ff22b:g:FBcAAOSw88RbDn57

The receivers are mains powered (they sit in-line with the power cable), very robust, and they are meant for studio heads. There are no settings, no startup or "connecting" to do, and nothing to configure or set up. As they are held in place by 3 cables, they don't tend to flap about as much at the back of the light either. The battery powered ones are really meant for speedlights: they do usually come with a sync cord for a studio head but it's just one more thing to go wrong tbh (more batteries to fail). As your lights are not remote controllable for power, there really is nothing to upgrade to anyway. You could attach a Pixel King, YN622, etc but they won't do anything extra (well the YN622's will do shutter delay for tail sync but that's just not a road to go down now, with so many HSS capable outdoor flash heads these days). Plus they all need batteries - and fail in interesting ways when the battery gets low.

I used 4 of those sets on my lights for years without any problems (I often tended to be shooting alongside others at various shows and locations so I had receivers on all the lights and the cells turned off, but if you're on your own, you can get away with one receiver and optical slave cells).

I would recommend you just get one of these which are made for the job:-

This is precisely what I use for my GM500s. No batteries, no messing about. I've had mine for a good few years and they get used regularly on many different cameras with no issues.

This is precisely what I use for my GM500s. No batteries, no messing about. I've had mine for a good few years and they get used regularly on many different cameras with no issues.

Not forgetting the small battery in the trigger, it's an annoying as it's a size never used in anything else.

Not forgetting the small battery in the trigger, it's an annoying as it's a size never used in anything else.

Heh, I'd forgotten about that... I've had my triggers for at least 2 years now. Used them on portrait "nights" for my evening classes and day long workshops on a number of occasions and they're still going strong. I guess this term will be my downfall now you've said that! Must get some spares...

True - but they are readily available, and if it stops working, you know what needs replacing, as there's only one battery involved. I found they easily lasted over a year with moderate use. It would be perfect if the trigger took 2xAA's instead :)

I think it's an MN21 battery? They are about £3 for 4 and last for years. If I remember rightly it's 12v (I might be wrong)

Back