Which RAW format compact camera?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Looking to buy a compact camera to take fishing with me. My slr is too big. I have a Ricoh R6 7.1x Optical Wide Zoom. 28-200mm 7,2 Macro/Vibration Correction/ 1cm Macro which has conked out on me 2 years ago.

Now I'm wanting something to replace it.

I would prefer RAW format if there is such a camera that does it?

Needs to be a macro of 1cm.

An idea of how much you want to spend may aid others in helping you. ;)

If you know most of what you want in the camera you can do a search for features here to narrow down your choices.

I know some Panasonic TZ compacts are very good at macro.

Not sure really. I haven't thought about the price. Probably below £200.

Do any cameras use the .raw format ?

I'm not sure there even is a .raw format, they all have different file types e.g canon is .cr2 and others are .dng
My Canon S100 does them, the latest will be an S120 but various other small cameras do raw.

Probably the most popular compacts among anglers (and anglers who write for magazines) are the Canon G series - the ones with flip out screens for self-takes. There should be one available used in your price range. I'm currently using a Nikon P7800 which is about double your budget, unfortunately.

I don't use raw myself but the baby X Fujis can save raw data. X-20 and XF-1. XF-1 might be available from Currys/PCWorld if they have any left but the X-20 might be over budget. Both have 4x optical zooms, the XF goes from 25-100 and the X-20 28-112 (both in 35mm EFL).

I should mention that I would also use it for macro photography when taking photos of flies, and I'd take some landscapes too.

+1 for the Fuji XF-1. RAW format and macro. And well under budget at £130 new from PC World/Currys.

Have to say that the macro function is one where I turn to the X-20 rather than the XF-1. It allows you to get a LOT closer to fill the frame with the subject.

In all honesty I'd steer clear of a Fuj X series for fishing (Fuji bridge cameras are good though). I have a Fuji X10 as well as the P7800. The P7800 is a far better camera for fishing than the X10, and I don't know anyone with a Canon G series who is disappointed with it, although I can't comment on their macro quality.

Much depends on how compact the camera needs to be. Prior to the Nikon I had a Panasonic G2 (which was also a good fishing camera), so another option might be a used Panasonic G2 or G3 - shove a close up 'filter' on the front of the lens and the close ups are good.

All in all I'd suggest a used Canon G11 if it'll do the close-ups.

Nearly forgot about this post.

After taking some photos with my Samsung S3 phone this week, the camera sucks and I really need a new compact.

I said that I needed a camera capable of taking shots as close as 1cm because I want to be able to shoot flies, such as ..... https://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/sets/72157633396321496 .. These are approx 1.5" long, but I would take photos of smaller flies!!

I also want to take photos of some of the fish I catch https://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/sets/72157642598930524

The camera needs to be able to fit in my pocket.

Also needs to have a viewing screen on the back of the camera.

I may go back to Ricoh, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited:
I said that I needed a camera capable of taking shots as close as 1cm because I want to be able to shoot flies, such as ..... https://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/sets/72157633396321496 .. These are approx 1.5" long, but I would take photos of smaller flies!!
Can I just clarify what you mean?
  • You don't really care how close the lens is to the subject; but,
  • You'd like to be able to fill the frame with a subject 1cm in length.
(because it reads like your only concern is getting the subject as close to the lens as possible, rather than absolute magnification)

It sounds like you have two specific requirements:
  • Riverbank photography - catch recording, general landscape, close-up of fish (rather than true macro), fishing companions
  • At-home photography - macro/close-ups of hand-tied flies, etc.

If you *need* to take the fly shots on the riverbank all bets are off. But if quality counts why not use your DSLR and a macro lens to take the fly shots in a dedicated micro-studio either at home or in the boot of your car? - you wouldn't need anything larger than a cardboard box, and a couple of battery powered LED banks would meet the lighting requirement. That would free up the choices when it comes to a more general compact riverbank camera to fit into your pocket.

nikon coolpix P340? shoots raw. fast f/1.8 lens, decent sized sensor, macro down to 2cm , low ISO 80, tiny size ideal for the pocket, 5x zoom ( 24- 120 ), SP, AP and manual as well as usual full auto and presets.
no idea if its any good in comparison to others but seems to fit the criteria and its around £200.

Any of the Canon G range. A used Canon G1x, or if you can afford it, the G7x or G1xii.

It sounds like you have two specific requirements:
  • Riverbank photography - catch recording, general landscape, close-up of fish (rather than true macro), fishing companions
  • At-home photography - macro/close-ups of hand-tied flies, etc.

If you *need* to take the fly shots on the riverbank all bets are off. But if quality counts why not use your DSLR and a macro lens to take the fly shots in a dedicated micro-studio either at home or in the boot of your car? - you wouldn't need anything larger than a cardboard box, and a couple of battery powered LED banks would meet the lighting requirement. That would free up the choices when it comes to a more general compact riverbank camera to fit into your pocket.

Yes taking close ups of the fish and close ups of the flies I tie at home!
I won't take any landscapes with a compact.

I'm not taking my dslr camera fishing with me because it is too bulky. I won't want it around my neck all the time and I hardly carry a bag any more, and even if I do take a bag there isn't room......so......... a compact camera is more convenient and 100% better.

I didn't say anything about taking photos of flies on the riverbank.

I didn't say anything about taking photos of flies on the riverbank.
So what 1cm long objects do you want to photograph on the riverbank? - that you want the compact to photograph.

And why can't you use the 450D in your sig equipment list for photographing the flies?

So what 1cm long objects do you want to photograph on the riverbank? - that you want the compact to photograph.

And why can't you use the 450D in your sig equipment list for photographing the flies?

Since I only want to take photos of two subject (maybe the VERY occassional landscape photo), I would go for a compact that shoots JPEG.

I don't want to take anything at 1cm (or higher) on the riverbank, only at home. I only want to take photos of fish on the riverbank.

I don't want to use the DSLR because I've tried with the current lenses I have and they were all rubbish, or not as good as I want them to be. I don't want to buy a macro lens or filters for the lenses I have.

Probably the most popular compacts among anglers (and anglers who write for magazines) are the Canon G series - the ones with flip out screens for self-takes. There should be one available used in your price range. I'm currently using a Nikon P7800 which is about double your budget, unfortunately.
Sorry for repeating myself, but this advice still stands - Nikon P7800 or a Canon G series. Will do the fish photos no probs, and easily manage to fill the frame with salmon flies. A bit big to fit in a trouser pocket but fine in a jacket.

DSCN2744-2.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

As I said too, Canon G series.

Or, just buy a used EFS 60mm macro for your 450d.

That's not actually that chunky, and you don't need it around your neck all day, just place it on the floor when you're not using it!

Out of interest, what lenses are you using on the dslr that you aren't getting along with?

As I said too, Canon G series.

Or, just buy a used EFS 60mm macro for your 450d.

That's not actually that chunky, and you don't need it around your neck all day, just place it on the floor when you're not using it!

Out of interest, what lenses are you using on the dslr that you aren't getting along with?

Like I said, I'm not taking my DSLR with me. and place it on the floor? Get it covered in water and dirt? No thanks.

Like I said, I'm not taking my DSLR with me. and place it on the floor? Get it covered in water and dirt? No thanks.

Not if you put it somewhere sensible, and on a jacket or something.

I'm just saying, as really a 450d with 60mm macro is no real chore to carry.

But if it really is, definately get a Canon G1x, G1xii or G7x. Heck, even an older G9 / G10 would be excellent.

Last edited:
What? Spend £500 on a camera I wouldn't use much? I don't think so.

Price must be £200 or less. (Less would be better)

What? Spend £500 on a camera I wouldn't use much? I don't think so.

Price must be £200 or less. (Less would be better)
Ok, new they're expensive but you can get a used g1x for £150.

I wouldn't worry too much, I shoot for fishing mags and the tackle company I work for and have only ever had two water-based 'incidents' with kit, both being my fault and not the elements ruining kit. If you're worried about dirt you'd have a fit if you saw my kit!!! :)

Anyway, for selfies I use a Nikon P7700 with has brilliant image quality but isn't the speediest of cameras. Still. .NEF files are great and it's fairly compact, has good zoom range and brilliant build quality. Also has a flip round screen.

A lot of guys I know have (at one point) owned a Powershot G and really recommend them. G12 or G1x are the pick of the bunch I've heard.

Why not look at one of the old LUMIX G bodies and get a cheapish lens? £60 for a body and I'm sure you'll get a decent zoom for the same...

The Olympus TG-3 has an amazing macro mode, 1.1 is no problem, then you have the tele macro option which is ridiculously close
waterproof with rear screen, no RAW on this one, but the new TG-4 does have it, but way over budget
I doubt you will find anything with all of the features you need for £200, the Olympus does stack up pretty well, and should be under 200 used, as 250 new
Here is a TG-3 user group on flickr
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2691003@N23/pool/
Also consider the Fuji X20 which also has a very good Super Macro mode, and does shoot RAW
and should be easily available at well under 200

Last edited:
I wouldnt touch the Fuji xf1. Seems quite a few have had lens errors with them. I would go Canon G series.

Back