which sigma macro option?

Name
simon
Edit My Images
Yes
could someone please explain the pro's and cons of the following 2 options?

105mm with kenko tubes or
150mm without

price works out comparable, but i havent a clue on why one would be better than the other!
cheers folks

Both lens will give 1:1 macro but the 105mm with tubes will be approx 2:1, the

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens weighs 450g and has a minimum working distance of 122mm and the 150mm weights 895g and has a minimum working distance of 194mm.

The 150mm also is sharper and has a better bokeh, but is more difficult to hand hold.

the 150mm macro is superb - haven't used the other one - samples available if you want to see shots taken with it.

when I get to my desktop machine in the morning . . .

with the sima 105mm

dragon.jpg

with the 105mm & tubes

dragon2.jpg

and one with the 150mm

spider9.jpg

the tubes seem to be good value.
the statement (i read somewhere) "turn any lens into a macro lens" i guess is to be taken with a large pinch of salt?

Thanks (y) these were all taken with a off camera sb600 fitted with a lambecy diffuser .

i take it from this , that a dedicated macro flash , is not an absolute must?
which is good for me as i also need a standard flash.
thanks again

the tubes seem to be good value.
the statement (i read somewhere) "turn any lens into a macro lens" i guess is to be taken with a large pinch of salt?

I dont know about any lens :LOL: but if you use them with small focal length primes 28mm - 30mm-50mm etc you will get 1:1 or bigger and with the 105mm macro you'll get @ 2:1 , as there's no glass in them IQ is not affected but you will lose a little light. If you get a set make sure there auto like the kenko ones or you will lose aperture control from the body.

i take it from this , that a dedicated macro flash , is not an absolute must?
which is good for me as i also need a standard flash.
thanks again

As long as its off camera and diffused you should be OK - its just a bit of faffing about either holding the flash or trying to place it close to where you need to use it

thanks again for the info.
i am going to order a set of the kenko tubes. hopefully they will help me get better close-up shots of my marine fish.
i am edging towards the sigma 105mm now to go with the tubes, after seeing your pics.
one final question (and this could end up costing me money:D)
have you used the 150mm with the tubes?
cheers
Simon

thanks again for the info.
i am going to order a set of the kenko tubes. hopefully they will help me get better close-up shots of my marine fish.
i am edging towards the sigma 105mm now to go with the tubes, after seeing your pics.
one final question (and this could end up costing me money:D)
have you used the 150mm with the tubes?
cheers
Simon

Yes they work fine but you get less increase in magnification approx 1.5:1 and it gets harder to hand hold.

awp
still really keen (even though i think i have made my choice) to see your samples using the 150!
cheers

great that was the answer i wanted. another plus for the 105mm (more wallet friendly option)
cheers

Ha Ha you've got no chance i started with a 105mm sigma from ebay then tubes then flash then the 150mm then bellows then a R1 flash kit etc etc on a Nikon D300 then sold the lot and went to Canon :wacky: now i have a 150mm sigma, tubes and the MP-e65 :love::love:. this macro lark is very addictive.

Ha Ha you've got no chance i started with a 105mm sigma from ebay then tubes then flash then the 150mm then bellows then a R1 flash kit etc etc on a Nikon D300 then sold the lot and went to Canon :wacky: now i have a 150mm sigma, tubes and the MP-e65 :love::love:. this macro lark is very addictive.

please dont show me any pics from the canon/mp-65.
her indoors will spot the name on the camera changing from nikon to canon, and the rest will not be pretty!!!!:LOL:

i always wondered if ants had a hairy arse. and now i know!
as for no2, surely you cant get any closer without eating the thing!

this question must have been asked before:-
why dont nikon (or others) make a lens to compete with the canon???????

i always wondered if ants had a hairy arse. and now i know!
as for no2, surely you cant get any closer without eating the thing!

this question must have been asked before:-
why dont nikon (or others) make a lens to compete with the canon???????

:LOL::LOL: - As for why no one else makes a lens to compete with the MP-e i have no idea :thinking: which is a shame really as i prefer the Nikon D300 to the Canon 50D i now have.

awp
still really keen (even though i think i have made my choice) to see your samples using the 150!
cheers

as promised!

awp3575.jpg

awp3582.jpg

w4.jpg

Maybe not my best ones but I'm in a rush this morning - maybe have another look later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson
awp
cheers

as promised!

Maybe not my best ones but I'm in a rush this morning - maybe have another look later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------awp
Hope i can get this good (new to macro)

oldson.....flash wise,this is the setup i now use...

S4300008.jpg

and with my sigma 105 macro,produces shot's like this....

dragonfly2.jpg

as dogfish magnet says..this macro mularkey is blimmin' adictive...i'm now looking to get either a 150 or 180 macro lens now :LOL:

sounds like your fed up with the 105, can i have it?:D

have you experimented with tubes?
cheers

btw
thats a nikon in the pic, have you still got the alpha 700 too?
i nearly opted for a sony before deciding on the nikon. how do you rate them in comparison?

btw
thats a nikon in the pic, have you still got the alpha 700 too?
i nearly opted for a sony before deciding on the nikon. how do you rate them in comparison?

i should have explained it more clearly...that isn't MY setup,but mine is similar to it.i was just showing how i use the flash (y)

i love the A700..it's a great camera that's available for just over £500.i've not used any other make of camera,so can't comment on them.i have a set of kenko extension tubes,and did use them once or twice last year,but will do so a lot more this year...watch this space ;):LOL:

Yes they work fine but you get less increase in magnification approx 1.5:1 and it gets harder to hand hold.

this is probably a stupid question, but here goes......

why do you only get 1.5:1 using tubes with the 150mm sigma, and 2:1 with the 105mm??

Back