Which Sigma wide-angle?

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, oh knowledgeable ones :)

I will be buying a Sigma 10-20mm soon; something I have wanted for a number of years. My question is this: which version of the lens should I plump for, the f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM or he f/3.5 EX DC HSM? I know the former is a tried and tested lens, well-loved by many, but I have been out of the loop so long in terms of photography that I don't know much about how the latter has been received. I would have thought that it would be better to go for the f/3.5 EX DC HSM, but wanted to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Firstly, if there's any possibility of you moving to FF in the future, I would recommend their 12-24 instead of the 10-20 but if you have no plans to make the move, the 10-20 is the next best thing. Not sure where I saw it but I'm sure I've read that the older variable aperture version of the lens is better than the faster one. Since wide angles (especially UWAs) tend to be used stopped down a bit for deeper DoF, the advantage that a faster lens can offer is to some extent negated. The slower lens is probably cheaper too!

Will you be using 3.5? I ask because I rarely use mine wide open, normally when doing landscape style things I stop down. Even if my lens could open up to 2.8, I'd still be stopped it down to at least f/8 most of the time.

If you're going to be using it for landscapes then I recommend you save a bit of money and go for the f4 variety.

Couple of examples from the 'old' 10-20 I'm still using.

Gardens by the Bay
by ACW#, on Flickr

Westminster Park Plaza Hotel
by ACW#, on Flickr

Singapore Skyline
by ACW#, on Flickr

Marina Bay Sands and Skytrees
by ACW#, on Flickr

Valid point about whether you will be going full frame. However, I've recently added a full frame body to my gear, but am still using the 10-20 on my crop body and loving it.

Last edited:
If there's any chance of going FF then look around for the 15-30. No longer made, but a better lens in every respect than the 12-24 that succeeded it, and you'll hardly notice the 3mm missing bit. Sharp as any L series lens. Second hand models go for £200-£400 depending how lucky you get.

personally ive got the tokina 11-16 f2.8 which i'd highly recomend. Prior to that i had a sigma 10-20 (the variable apperture one) which was fine , but not great at focussing in low light (its easy to forget that big max apperure isnt just about using that f stop, its also about light gathering to assist the AF and viewfinder image.

I'm not sure i'd concur with using a 15-30 on a crop body (where it will have the effective field of view of a 24mm on FF), i suspect you'd see quite a large difference between that and a 10-20 at 10mm. (though the 15-30 would be excelent on a FF body)

Thanks for the input :) I very much doubt that I'll be moving to FF anytime soon, and I now am seriously unsure which to get.....

Also - do any of you have experience buying from DigitalRev? Are they as good as I hear? No customs charges? They seem to have the best prices....

I'm making no comment on Digital rev (that can be like combining a match with a glass of petrol) suffice to say that a search of the supplier forum will bring up several illuminating threads.

Imo if you have the money (or can find a good one second hand) I'd get the tokina , second choice would be the f3.5 , and third choice wuld be the f4-3.5 (tamron make a variable as well which is okay) , have a look at MPB for second hand ones. http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...es/sigma-10-20mm-f/3.5-ex-dc-hsm,-canon-fit-/

Whatever you get be aware that it will vignette witha cokin/lee filter holder at its short end, however you can get round this by carefully cutting two slots off a holder with a thin hacksaw blade, so that it is just one slot wide

Last edited:
Thanks for the input :) I very much doubt that I'll be moving to FF anytime soon, and I now am seriously unsure which to get.....

Also - do any of you have experience buying from DigitalRev? Are they as good as I hear? No customs charges? They seem to have the best prices....

Bit of a shady area. No personal experience, but that kind of question will usually get you mixed responses. A lot of grey importers lie on the import note and say the value of the package is £15 or so.
Some of the companies say they will reimburse you should you get caught by customs and have to pay the relevant fees / duty. However, as technically you are the one importing the lens I believe they are under no legal obligation to cover the charges, meaning there is a chance you'll get stung for any extra costs.

Consider buying second hand? You can't access our classifieds yet, but there are many other places to get decent prices on used lenses. Avforums perhaps?

I think I'm going to go with a UK supplier. Just scouring the internet for options. I (rightly or wrongly) have decided that I want to buy new rather than used, so am now Googling and thinking of all the camera retailers I can. :)

Really appreciate the input.

if you want to buy new in the Uk I can highly recomend clifton camera, they may not always be the cheapest but they have excellent customer service in my experience. (for cheaper prices probably WEX but their custormer service is variable, and for the love of god don't take one of their finance deals... unless you fancy paying high apr - be aware that some places that seem super cheap are either out an out con artists, or are actually selling grey imports and pretending otherwise)

Last edited:
Have a look at Panamoz's prices. I've bought from them several times and have always had a good experience.

Back