which slr

Edit My Images
Yes
hi i am looking to buy my 1st SLR can anyone point me in the direction of what is best value for money as i really have no experience with slr's at all

many thanks

First question is how much are you willing to spend? and second do you want new or would you be happy with second hand?

Right at the moment the Sony Alpha 200 is a cracking deal, but frankly you need to get out and try some yourself.

There are bargains to be had, but it's worth giving some serious thought to going second hand - the quality you can pick up is just awesome.

Cheers,
James

thanks for speedy replies :D am thinking of going 2nd hand as would seem get MUCH more for £sss i have a budget of around the £400ish bracket +/-

ps i notice on for sale thread people asking 'how many shots' a camera has used

is this important?

I got my canon 400d with a 18-55mm lens kit for £289
It was brand new from an ebay shop.
Search them on ebay.
Clearence Bargains
Great value! Got here very quickly, no problems.
Was a bit worried about buying off ebay, but after some research it turns out there a branch or somehow linked with argos.
Safe bet in my eyes mate!
:)

I'd say go for something like a second hand Canon EOS 400D with a couple of lenses. You should be able to get that for under £400 now. Any ideas what sort of photography you're looking to do? I.e landscapes, sports, motorsport, wildlife, portraits etc? What you intend to do should influence your choice of lens, which is ultimately more important than the camera body itself.

I'd say go for something like a second hand Canon EOS 400D with a couple of lenses. You should be able to get that for under £400 now. Any ideas what sort of photography you're looking to do? I.e landscapes, sports, motorsport, wildlife, portraits etc? What you intend to do should influence your choice of lens, which is ultimately more important than the camera body itself.

:agree:

thanks again ...

my main interests will be in marine fish, dogs and my soon to be new born son followed by scenery etc

Right, so you're going to want something like a 17-85mm lens for the fish, dogs and your son, and possibly a 75-300mm telephoto lens for the dogs. You should be able to get all that for under £400 easily.

thanks richard is there thread/s on here that i could browse that tell me what the differences in lenses are?

The best thing to do is go into a camera shop and have a play with the camera's and lenses they have. If you have any questions about a particular lens, make a note of it's details and stick a post on here asking about it. People will be happy to offer advice. Once you've bought a camera, read the manual so you have an idea about what all the different settings and modes do, and get out there and take some photos. With practice you'll soon learn what everything does and how it will affect the final image.

£400 would get you a nice set up from new

but as used, you will probably find your chosen new model with extra lens, or an upgraded body

i bought my first dslr used, and it was ace, nikon d40, but now on sony alpha range

ps i notice on for sale thread people asking 'how many shots' a camera has used

is this important?

As with anything mechanical, the internals of a SLR have a finite life. People often refer to shutter actuations like the mileage of a car. The minimum number of shutter actuations to be expected before failure will vary from camera to camera.

For a camera in your budget, 100k-150k actuations might be typically quoted as the expected point of failure.

Any figures provided will vary as some will fail before they reach their number and some will just keep on going.

I use a Sony a200 with the 18 - 75mm kit lens and I have to say its a great camera. Its built in SSS (Super Steady Shot) stability system allows the user to purchase lens that do not have expensive in-built image stability (IS). Sony produce some fantastic lenses and other third party lenses are openly available. For your £400 you would get a 10.4mp, 3 x frames per second, Raw + Jpeg camera and still have enough left over to purchase a cracking high quality lens to start you off. Sony a200's are going for really good money at the moment (£269) new and it is a fantastic camera for the money. Having said all that, go out and handle a selection of cameras and go with the one you feel comfortable with. Good luck with your choice.

Back