Which solid rucksack to ski with?

Name
Mitch
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. Hope everyone had a good christmas!

I know everyone is yawning at yet another 'which bag' thread but I have no clue what I'm looking for if I'm completely honest.

First off, and most importantly, it needs to be solid, and protective for when I go skiing!

Next, it doesn't have to be big, it has to hold my Sony A230 & 1 lens, my ipad and a few little bits, so basically it needs to have a little compartment/space for accessories and bits and pieces!

Edit: a cheaper Think Tank maybe?

Last edited:
Last yeah i took mine out on the slopes on a couple of days just in the top of my Camelbak (the Mule), just stick it in the top lens-up, since you're very unlikely to fall and hit the top of the bag - it's usually the bottom that takes the knocks.

That said, i did only take it out on a couple of days when i was skiing a bit more, errr, "gently" than usual, just sticking to blues and slow reds - i wouldn't dare take my DSLR out with me like that when i'm doing off-piste, moguls, or jumps - don't think it would last so long. So i'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone's got any more protective suggestions!

But don't discount a normal bag if you're taking it gently. I take a Panasonic FT1 (one of the shockproof/waterproof cameras) on the other days, and still get some great shots with that. Not got my photos organised yet so haven't got them to post as an example, but with waterproof camera you can get some awesome shots - i've got one of someone sliding to a stop in front of the camera and all you can see is the piste, a wall of flying powder, and a few trees and sky above it. Will try to remember to dig it out when i get home.

David

Back