Which SSD Drive

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to hear from anyone who has experience with SSD drives. From my initial look around, it seems that OCZ and Crucial are the most popular ones but is there one particular one you would recommend? I'm after a 120Gb drive for under £200. Any suggestions appreciated.

I bought a Crucial 64Gb for an oldish Macbook, really improved the experience by speeding it up, shame my wife then accosted the Macbook ;)

BTW - 90G OCZ Vertex 2 here....

Thanks for the feedback. I went for the OCZ 120GB in the end.

One other question. When you setup the OS, do you move the entire user profile to a normal HDD or just parts of it like Pictures, Videos etc?

Thanks for the feedback. I went for the OCZ 120GB in the end.

One other question. When you setup the OS, do you move the entire user profile to a normal HDD or just parts of it like Pictures, Videos etc?
Yes.

I moved mine using the registry method and creating a couple of internmediate accounts. It's a bit long winded, but done only once and points ALL new accounts to the new drive. See: http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista/

I've also moved my system restore for the C: drive to another volume. See: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1549471&page=9 and moved the pagefile (I have 16G of memory so...) http://mintywhite.com/vista/vmaintenance/performance-boost-move-page-file-to-another-physical-drive/

Ive been looking at SSDs and I will be waiting to see what the new Sandforce 2000 and 3rd Gen Intel drives bring in terms of speed and bringing down the prices of the exisitng gen SSDs.

Vertex 3's and new Intel Elmcrest's are out now I believe bringing even sillier speeds....

ive got an OCZ vertex 60gb and so far (7-8 months) its been faultless.

i have been toying with getting another and striping them just for ****s and giggles :LOL:

If you stripe them then you lose the ability to use the TRIM function on them (the thing that keeps them working as quick as factory fresh) and the speed will slowly degrade over time.

This is presuming that your already running on Windows 7 and that AHCI is the enabled transfer mode and not IDE, as thats the only way TRIM works at the moment.

If you stripe them then you lose the ability to use the TRIM function on them (the thing that keeps them working as quick as factory fresh) and the speed will slowly degrade over time.

good point, forgot about that.

This is presuming that your already running on Windows 7 and that AHCI is the enabled transfer mode and not IDE, as thats the only way TRIM works at the moment.

yup and yup :)

Avoid the Crucial C300 drives, I'm on my third. They seem to fail after about 3 months use, Crucial swap them without hesitation but that doesn't help if you can't trust the drive to last.

Well my OCZ 120GB was delivered yesterday about half an hour before I had to leave for work in Brussels so zero time to play :( Can't wait to get home tonight to get started with the reinstall. Thanks for all the advice :)

Avoid the Crucial C300 drives, I'm on my third. They seem to fail after about 3 months use, Crucial swap them without hesitation but that doesn't help if you can't trust the drive to last.

That is unlucky... 3 drives?! Maybe there is another reason they are dying.

I'll be waiting for the third-generation Intel drives before I think about upgrading my 160GB G2.

Well I got it installed and the performance is better but not quite as good as I expected. Does anyone have any views on whether to use AHCI or IDE for the drive?

Excellent - thats what I went for :)

That is unlucky... 3 drives?! Maybe there is another reason they are dying.

It's a common problem with that drive, the controller fails, they keep upgrading the firmware to try and fix it, my first was rev1, 2nd rev3, third rev6. It's now relegated to a usb caddy as a portable back up drive.

Had mine about 6+ months with no problems at all........ Hope i've not jinxed it.

I went for a patriot inferno 120GB, rock solid, fast, cheap(ish) :)

I went for a patriot inferno 120GB, rock solid, fast, cheap(ish) :)

let us know how it goes...

I had problems with mine OCZ...lost all data on it...read forums...not happy and it looks like I wasn't the first one, so I have doubts in OCZ...
am on a lookout for 120-160gb now

Back