John
Edit My Images
Yes
presently i have a mint 'blue spot' black EM with

Nikkor 28mm 3.5
Nikon Series E 50/1.8
Nikon Series E 100/2.8

my EM is Aperure priority - camera selects speed
which model would be a logical step-up to obtain manual aperture and speed - same as the Canon 35mm AT-1

thinking it will be FE or the FM series -------- too many choices..:)

i have looked at the F8** and the F90 series - neither ring my bells

Add the FG into the mix as well.

About the same size as the EM but with allthat you're looking for.

The FM and FM2 will feel like the appropriate step up - better built, a bit heavier, and perfect if you want all manual controls.

Add the FG into the mix as well.
About the same size as the EM but with allthat you're looking for.

thanks - was planning to move up in build quality too, so been looking at the FE/FM series

duh..........F3

FM's are sweet but surely the F3 is the beginning and end of that particular line.

and don't listen to the rantings of visually impaired, half of that lot are trying to ruin a perfectly beautiful c35.......for no reason at all..:D

even if you don't think the F3 is sex on a stick (I of course do), the thing is still the dogs danglies on every other front..:)

which model would be a logical step-up to obtain manual aperture and speed

Forget Nikon kit and get an M-4 :D

Dirt cheap and up from the EM is the F80 .....but it is plasticy and nothing like as classy as the FM FE F3 series, nonetheless it offers a whole host of controls, manual, aperture priority etc etc ......I have one atm ;), and it pairs nicely with the digi D80 as the controls are very similarly laid out.

The F80 is a nice camera but it won't meter with non CPU lenses like he has. Also prone to the sticky plastic problem if my one is anything to go by.

Agree with the suggestions for the FG, FE, FE2 & F3. If you want a cheap option look at the F301. Paid under £15 on ebay for mine IIRC.

Could do a lot worse than an F2A, but it would be manual only.

Last edited:
duh..........F3

even if you don't think the F3 is sex on a stick (I of course do), the thing is still the dogs danglies on every other front..:)

guess wot i sold just three years ago....................:eek::eek::(.......................

Last edited:
guess wot i sold just three ywars ago....................:eek::eek::(.......................

lol.......well if you just fancy a change, FM2's bounce off tarmac and keep on chugging........least, mine did

personally, I'm very suspicious of cameras that aren't dented, scratched and/or held together with black tape and plasters..:)

guess wot i sold just three ywars ago....................:eek::eek::(.......................

Still working and taking photograph,s very well too.:D:D(y)

The F80 is a nice camera but it won't meter with non CPU lenses like he has. Also prone to the sticky plastic problem if my one is anything to go by...............

guess wot..?
i still have a [working i think ] Weston Master V meter from 1960's - but thats a step too far backwards methinks.......:)

You can also get light meter apps for a mobile if it's lost its sensitivity over the years. If it's a selenium meter it might have. The F80 would give you a focus confirm light in place of the split image. Don't think I would want to try using mine with MF lenses unless it was a last resort.

The F80 is a fine camera. I have 2.

But, it is a similar experience to using a current digital camera, so it depends what the OP wants, I suppose.

I don't use 35mm much these days but I love to use the F80 with my 11-16mm lens for silly super wide stuff.

FE is lovely, I think its a classic design and great to use. Used to have an F80 and while very good, it was like using a digital to a degree. Anyway, I am selling my FE, with an M2 and rolleicord it doesnt get much of a look in. In the classifieds if interested.

You can also get light meter apps for a mobile if it's lost its sensitivity over the years. If it's a selenium meter it might have. ......t.

surprise surprise.....:)

still working after all these years -- checked EV against D5000 - spot on.!

hand-held with the Nikon 55-200 AF-S DX VR just received from @mbscad -- pleased..:)

Last edited:
Chinese proverb, Man who have a light meter know how to set camera, man who have two light meters never know how to set camera.:D

一鸟在手胜过双鸟在林(yī niǎo zài shǒu shèng guò shuāng niǎo zài lín) - a bird in the hand is worth [more] than two in the bush

:)

A meter in the bag is worth a dozen in the car (an hours hike away)

it could only happen to you Steveo!:D

I guess by the time you got your meter and returned to the photo location, you needed a FLASH meter:ROFLMAO:

it could only happen to you Steveo!:D

I guess by the time you got your meter and returned to the photo location, you needed a FLASH meter:ROFLMAO:

I had to rely on my skill and experience, then used the one in my phone and got lucky!

FM, FM2, FE or FE2 as above. Excellent cameras, and the only decision you have to make is whether you want automatic (aperture priority) exposure capability. If you'd like a further step up, look at the F2. It was one of the truly iconic pro cameras in its day. The F3 is also an option, but I prefer the completely manual/mechanical F2. You really can't go wrong with any of them!

Never had an EM but had a Oly OM10 which was it's competitor at the time, so know what it is about. True, back then, the FM2 (which I have). FE2 and such like would have been logical upgrades back in the day, but nowadays the F3 is much cheaper in relative terms than it was back then and that would be my choice. The F2, although a great camera (I have one of those too) is old and heavy and a bit of a tank, and probably costs more than the F3 with less nice stuff. I much prefer my FM2 to my F2 and if I wanted to upgrade I'd be after chasing a mint F3 from the likes of Grays of Westminster or similar reputable dealers like a dog going down a rabbit hole.

Last edited:
............ I'd be after chasing a mint F3 from the likes of Grays of Westminster or similar reputable dealers....

looked at GRAYS..............:eek:................but I'll look for an F3 elsewhere

looking at my Bank balance I dont know wether to 'like' your post --- or NOT....:(

FM, FM2, FE or FE2 as above. Excellent cameras, and the only decision you have to make is whether you want automatic (aperture priority) exposure capability. If you'd like a further step up, look at the F2. It was one of the truly iconic pro cameras in its day. The F3 is also an option, but I prefer the completely manual/mechanical F2. You really can't go wrong with any of them!

And this guy will keep your F2 going forever:

http://www.soverf2repair.webs.com

FM-2 and a 50mm 1.4 Nikorr lens, and let the magic begin.
or keep your 50mm 1.8 and let the magic begin.
Weight distribution from EM to FM-2 is sexy
never mind them blue spot editions .
B

Back