which sub £100 used CSC / Compact camera?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm in the market for either a small CSC camera or compact for when I don't want to lug around the DSLR .

Looking I've seen a few in my price range, these are:

Samsung NX1000
Panasonic Lumix GF5
Panasonic Lumix GF3
Sony NEX 5
Pentax Q

Does anyone use any of these? Are they good or bad? Also, are there any other small cameras that are in my price range and I've missed?

I would go for the GF5. It is such a handy size that I often put it in my bag or coat pocket when travelling light. You can get good quality small lenses to go with it. The GF3 is just as good if you want to save a bit of cash.

Fuji XF1 all the way (y)

Have a look on the Fooj refurb store and with voucher code PAYPAL12 you'll grab a bargain when they've got them in stock.. (y)

If not, have a look at the Fuji XQ1/XQ2 - again can be had at a decent discounted price from the refurb store along with a good guarantee :)

Last edited:
Panasonic G1 :D I still use mine a lot and at low to mid ISO's the image quality is very good and even the highest ISO's are useable with care. You don't mention a separate budget for lenses but a G1 and either a 14-42mm kit lens or a couple of manual primes such as 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 and an adapter might well come in under £100.

I have the original MFT 14-42mm kit lens and I'd say it's ok and at least with MFT you don't get any significant distortion or fringing as it's all taken care of :D so if you're happy with the focal length and aperture range I'd say it's a good buy but personally I'm happier with the legacy manual lens option.

Last edited:
Thanks both, appreciate the help!

The GF5 and GF3 I'm watching both come with the 14-42mm lens. As a kit lens is it any good?

It is okay but I find it cumbersome on the GF5/3. I use the compact x version or the Olympus 14-42 ( as it collapses when not in use ) if I want a zoom but really like a prime on the GF. Usually I have a 14, 20 or the sigma 30mm on. But then the price of all this starts to take a toll on the wallet.

The Nikon 1 system is well worth a look - the images never cease to impress and even the kit lenses are very good indeed.

I looked at them but what put me off was it was a Nikon mount and I kinda liked the way the micro 4/3rd mount is swappable with other brand lenses.

The Panasonic system is so confusing, how many cameras and they all seem very similar! GF1, GF2, GF5 and a GX1! Brain hurting! I prefer the look of the GF1 / GX1 with that command dial knob on the top and now a Fuji X10 has been wafted under my nose! What to do! It's a minefield!

The GF1 is a pleasure to use and you can add an EVF. The GF3/GF5 are still fun to use. When I first got my GF3 with 14mm I found it such a compact and versatile package that I used it a lot. I have other mirrorless cameras ( Sony & Fuji ) but the micro 4/3 have the advantage of smaller lenses. The Olympus cameras are also worth a look, the prices they can be picked up for 2nd hand have been too hard for me to resist.

Since you started this thread, I have just bought a refurbished XE-1 ( my old S5 pro has been giving error messages on every first photo so I think it may be on the way out).I love the image quality and handling. The GFs still have a use to me due to their small size & I like the video from the panasonic range.

The Nikon 1 system is well worth a look - the images never cease to impress and even the kit lenses are very good indeed.

hmm, tiny sensor and the model i tried felt bad in the hand. weatherproof one is interesting but the rest? :/

The GF5 and GF3 I'm watching both come with the 14-42mm lens. As a kit lens is it any good?
I have the strong opinion that Olympus' alternative will give you superior photos in most situations;
e-pL1 ... if you can get it at that price with lens.

Bah! Too late I see.

X-E1 plus lens hardly fell into the sub-£100 possibilities ...

Last edited:
hmm, tiny sensor and the model i tried felt bad in the hand. weatherproof one is interesting but the rest? :/

I was fortunate in that my V1 came with the popular third party grip glued on - made the handling fantastic. Sure there were some issues in terms of responsiveness, not being able to switch off image review and lack of direct access but the Lightning AF and IQ more than made up for it considering the price you can buy them for.

Yes, high ISO wasn't great but being Nikon the grain was rather aesthetically pleasing (and at normal print size is fine to 1600 and acceptable to 3200) and shallow dof was tricky even with the primes AND it was only 10mp but it's jpg engine was fab - just have a look in the 1 system photos thread.

I'm rather sad that it died and am rather tempted to get another as the wife loved it.

Back