which tablet/ ipad

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at buying a samsung 10.1 tablet, or one of the latest ipads to carry around with my gear mainly for checking out photos when I am away from home home, open to suggestions, I might add ipad air and the retina display are both well up my list unless some one comes up with reasons to change my mind

Unfortunately this will end up like a mac vs pc thread.

They're much and much the same except the Samsung can expand the memory with micro sd (?) , otherwise have a play in a shop with both.

I must agree with Neil. Check em out and choose the one you like best. I've an iPad Air and find it excellent for photo viewing. I use the 32Gb version and haven't found that I need more storage. However if you go down the iPad route make sure you choose the correct storage size as Neil has said you cant add extra.

Also be aware there are rumours ( and I stress it's only rumours) of an updated iPad air coming this year. Announcement probably at Apples WWDC in June. Might be worth the wait!

I'll chime in and say take a look at the Asus Transformer T100. Full Windows 8.1 (so you can run whatever s/w you like on it), 10+hour battery life, microSD card slot so you can expand storage, HDMI out, keyboard and USB slot so you can plug in any card reader.

I've not used my Nexus 7 since I bought mine in January. See: http://www.stuff.tv/asus/asus-transformer-book-t100/review

PS. I don't use it for photo processing, so have no view on how usable/good the screen is for that....

Just to thank you for replies, I had two trips into Cardiff, and after a couple of hours playing with Xperia Z2, Samsung tab 10.1 pro and IPad Air, I decided on the IPad, though it was a close run between the IPad and the Samsung.
First indications and observations are good, my flikr album is completely different, I can see details I didn't know we're there when viewing with my ultra book.
I have to say though it was a very difficult choice in the end.

I'd also consider the Nexus 10" 32Gb. Seem to be very good deals on this at present and the screen is excellent. Has limited storage, but there are ways around this, such as an app allowing you to connect a USB memory stick to it and move files between the Nexus and the stick.

I have just sent back my ipad air and am sticking with my nexus 10 . Ipad was ok if every other device you own is apple . Apple very controlling of there hard ware . Couldn't even communicate with other Bluetooth devices to transfer files? Nexus 10 32gb all day for me. And I do beleave I gave the ipad a good unbiased go while I had t for the month, some good + points for the ipad but just to many bad points

plus sharp top edges on the bezol of the ipad air was uncomfortable to hold for long periods nexus feels so tactile in the hand .

Last edited:
plus sharp top edges on the bezol of the ipad air was uncomfortable to hold for long periods nexus feels so tactile in the hand .

a mandatory case would have solved it, but the software "issues" are harsher

I have just sent back my ipad air and am sticking with my nexus 10 . Ipad was ok if every other device you own is apple . Apple very controlling of there hard ware . Couldn't even communicate with other Bluetooth devices to transfer files? Nexus 10 32gb all day for me. And I do beleave I gave the ipad a good unbiased go while I had t for the month, some good + points for the ipad but just to many bad points

You can use dropbox, email, icould etc to transfer files. Files belong to apps. It is different that is all. It took me a while to get my head around it

You can use dropbox, email, icould etc to transfer files. Files belong to apps. It is different that is all. It took me a while to get my head around it

It is a right pain most of the time. I own an ipad for 2 years now... It's a fancy internet browser terminal and a note taking device, that's all. You can read news, check email, buy new shoes or rent media from itunes. That is about all most "normal" people should ever use (according to the Californian company with a fruit logo)

I do a lot of work on my iPad. I use One note, pages, numbers and some other bits. It also helps that a lot of our software is cloud based

Back