Which telescope

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm after a telescope to connect to my 5d mk 2 . Wanted for planet photography , can anyone recommend a good one , Between £200 / £400 price .. (y)

Try http://www.stargazerslounge.com/

Planetary is normally done with high sensitivity webcams taking video (to get around atmospheric distortions) and SCT 'scopes with very long focal lengths (think several metres effective). You also need a decent mount if you want to do anything other than catch a small blob....

It's also expensive! (and I speak from experience....:D)

hi roger i used to have a skywatcher 130p which was quite good,but never really got time to use it,the only thing i would say is no matter what size you get you will want something bigger,so go for the best you can afford,there is also a 150 and 200,which are even better,these are the specs for the SkyWatcher Explorer-200P/1000 EQ5 which has a decent mount which you will need and a Direct SLR Camera Connection(which might help
)

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x40, x80, x100, x200

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x400

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 200mm

Telescope Focal Length: 1000mm (f/5)

Eyepiece Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

x2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor)

Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser

Parabolic Primary Mirror

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

9x50 Finderscope

Direct SLR Camera Connection

EQ5 Deluxe Heavy-Duty Equatorial Mount

Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder

1.75" Stainless Steel Pipe Tripod with Accessory Tray

77% more Light Gathering than 150mm

Box Contents

SkyWatcher Explorer-200P/1000 EQ5 Telescope

10mm & 25mm eyepieces

x2 Barlow lens, 9x50 finderscope

EQ5 Deluxe Heavy-Duty Equatorial Mount

Stainless Steel Pipe Tripod with Accessory Tray

Cheers , have to say SkyWatcher Explorer's look to be good value .. I just brought a Canon 24 - 70 mk 2 . So have £235 cash back coming , so thought i would add a little bit to it .. It's for me and Our little lad ...So need it big enough for me and good enough to keep him interested (y)

Make sure you get a good mount - an ok telescope on a good mount will be fair better than a great one on a flimsy mount. It's even more important for you as you want to try astrophotography.

the only problem is size they are quite big things so you will need a spare corner to keep it safe,and the down side is the better nights for viewing are usually the colder ones,but looking at the moon was superb and with my 130p i just managed to get the rings of saturn,which was amazing,there are some good second hand deals for the 200p,which you could always sell on when youve done with it

Make sure you get a good mount - an ok telescope on a good mount will be fair better than a great one on a flimsy mount. It's even more important for you as you want to try astrophotography.

the only problem is size they are quite big things so you will need a spare corner to keep it safe,and the down side is the better nights for viewing are usually the colder ones,but looking at the moon was superb and with my 130p i just managed to get the rings of saturn,which was amazing,there are some good second hand deals for the 200p,which you could always sell on when youve done with it

Cheers guys , I said to our Lad , the problem is the best nights to View are winter .. :) ..This won't be easy , there are so many , I can see the budget getting bigger , Still i might be selling some old glass now .. With the 24-70 mk2 and the 70 - 200 mk 2 .. I can get rid of the 24mm the 24 - 105 and 24 - 70 sigma , last two wedding i have done i havn't even bothered taking them with me .. (y)

I have an old telescope with an equatorial mount - is it relatively simple to motorize this?

I'm trying to do a bit of astrophotography on a tight budget :p

TBH, I'd avoid trying to photograph anything and just go for the visual. It takes an age to setup and can quickly get boring when you don't have the right equipment (and by that I mean a decent mount which is several £hundred on its own).

Better to go with as large a Dobsonian as you can get with some decent eyepieces and just see if you enjoy standing outside in the cold and damp ;)

Back