Beginner which to choose

Name
neil
Edit My Images
Yes
hallo folks.. not quite a beginner but haven't picked up my old 35mm for a while. I don't really want to go down any particular avenue of photography, but urban/street photography is something i am keen to explore, as well as going down to my local beach on wet and windy days. The problem is that I appear to have utterly confused myself.two cameras i keep coming back to are the OMD EM5 and the Ricoh GR, the latter for its discreetness while on the streets. Now do i pop for a decent spec DSLR (with a prime lens) and the Ricoh, or maybe the Olympus (the kit lens) and decent prime lens between 17 and 45mm. My budget will be around £1500. thanx for any advice... two DSLR's on my list would be a pentax K3 or the canon 70D.

Last edited:
Welcome to TP

What some like in the way of cameras others wouln'd touch. There is no decisive answer as to which to choose, all you can really do is look at cost-features-handability(if there is such a word) and decide for yourself.The best advice anoyone can give is go into as decent camera shop and get a hands on feel and also look at what is available to add to a camera in the future as in choice and cost of lenses -flashguns etc.
i started out originally with a cheap Kodak digital compact to see what all this digital photography was about. I soon discovered the camera limitations so consequently have up graded over the years as new models have been produced, and my limited experience and knowledge has increased.
So think about the future and what you might want to use the camera for later on and be guided by that

Last edited:
The E-M5 has the better stabilisation, but another cheaper relative is the e-pL5 which has the same sensor, and a similar flip-out LCD which makes stealthy street photography as easy as ... touching the screen.
Buy the M.Zuiko 45mm and you're laughing.
If you want SILENT get a Lumix G5 instead.

My advise would be figure out your budget and buy as much as you can afford. Remember that you are not only buying a camera you are buying a kit that you will add to for years to come. Staying with a major brand is recommended. So look at things like other lenses that you might buy down the road, what kind of flash systems they offer and so on. Others will disagree but I say do not go to the camera store till you are ready to buy. There are some really good sales people that can help you but there are many that will only confuse you with inaccurate information. All the facts are online so it's not necessary imo. As far as how it feels in your hand, well to me there is not much difference and that is not a deciding factor. Again, this is just my opinion.

Back