Which to get as a second camera - Canon M50 or Canon 77d

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been reading reviews until I am blue in the face it seems on these two cameras - which I am considering as a lighter backup camera to my 5d4.

Why do I need a second camera is the obvious question - mainly because there are occasions when I do not want to have to carry the heavier 5d and a few lenses around..

As I see it the two main plus points and differences in favour of the M50 - is the weight and it has 4k video. With the onset of arthritis in my wrist joints the weight could be a good factor

The main plus point for the 77d for me is that it has a normal viewfinder - my only experience with an electronic one was with a Lumix FZ1000

The downside as I see it is I will also have to buy an adaptor to be able to use all my EF lenses.

I would appreciate feedback and matters to consider in helping me make my decision.

If I buy the M50 is it worthwhile getting a kit with or without a lens such as the 18 to 150 I think it is. Does this lens give a true 18 to 150, or does the crop factor change matters - on occasion I like doing macro shots with my 100mm EF lens how does this lens compare to my existing EF

thanks
Andrew

The crop factor for both the M50 and the 77D is the same, they are both 1.6x

Personal preference here really, end results are going to be identical - I believe they use the same sensor? I would opt for the M50 as I prefer an evf, once you get used to using a decent evf it's hard to return to an OVF IMO. The M50 is also smaller and lighter which will make a difference when carrying all your gear. Also a quick check on comparisons tells me the M50 has more AF points across the frame.

The adapters are cheap enough, and EF lenses will work just as good as they will on the 77D from what i've seen

Someone who's used both can offer better advice, but I'd go M50

Last edited:
Hi Keith interesting what you say about the EVF, could you expand on why you find it so much better please as that would be useful knowledge

I prefer getting a preview of the exposure before taking the shot, for one it cuts down on chimping a lot. No wasting time with a bunch of testers to get your exposure correct, the view adjusts as you change settings in live view. You may see people refer to it as 'wysiwyg' [what you see is what you get] They're very decent quality these days too, some could be mistaken for an OVF they are that clear. In older or cheaper model ML cameras they might not be as good, my old Olympus em5 had an iffy evf, but it still gave me that exposure preview and I still preferred it to an ovf.

They allow you to 'see in the dark' too, this is really handy if you're using off cam flash in dark situations - you can set the evf to boost the view [usually here you will get a fuzzy/noisey image but it's just for composition, doesn't affect the actual exposure in this case] - on my X-H1 [which has a very nice evf] for instance, one swipe left on the LCD for me switches preview to not account for exposure, I get a constant preview that works more like an OVF but with night mode enabled :D You also have more options with an evf as to what information is displayed. Usually you get a number of options, you can set it from completely clear to having all the information possible displayed - with extras like the histogram, focus peaking, horizon guage etc ...

Also just bought an M5 to go with my 5Ds, cant praise it highly enough for my usage; excellent IQ, easy to carry and easy to use manually as it has an additional control dial that the M50 does not have.

I have the kit zoom, but have mostly been using it with the EF adapter, it is absolutely faultless in this respect, even with my big old sigma 2.8 zoom.

Back