Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just getting back into photography after a 10 year break.
No doubt this has been asked a lot but what tripods would people recommend for general landscape photography that is also able to accept a star tracker for astro?

I would like carbon fibre if possible.

I have seen the K&F concepts tripods and they look pretty good for the money.

Are there any others that I should take a look at?

Thanks!

Adam

For use with a large camera and/or star tracker thing, then I'd suggest something quite sturdy, and I don't think you're going to get anything in carbon fibre for that money, not new anyway. I own a few tripods, amongst them a CF Sirui Traveller 5C, and a heavier but tougher Manfrotto 190. Consider also a decent head; many better tripods come without one and there are many types and models. The Sirui is very lightweight but not all that sturdy; ok for a ML camera and smallish lens, but not so great for a bigger camera say with battery grip, and a big zoom or tele lens on it. Strong, Light, Cheap. Pick any two.

For use with a large camera and/or star tracker thing, then I'd suggest something quite sturdy, and I don't think you're going to get anything in carbon fibre for that money, not new anyway. I own a few tripods, amongst them a CF Sirui Traveller 5C, and a heavier but tougher Manfrotto 190. Consider also a decent head; many better tripods come without one and there are many types and models. The Sirui is very lightweight but not all that sturdy; ok for a ML camera and smallish lens, but not so great for a bigger camera say with battery grip, and a big zoom or tele lens on it. Strong, Light, Cheap. Pick any two.
Thanks for this. Would you say my budget should be, say, £200 ??

Cheap, Light weight, Sturdy.

You can pick two of the three.

A cheap, carbon fibre (light weight) tripod won't be very sturdy.

For £150 you might find something decent in Aluminium (Manfrotto) but for CF you're probably looking to double your budget and that may not include a head.

The Benro Mach 3's are pretty decent but you're looking at £300 just for the legs.

My tripod is a very sturdy. light weight tripod but its's £500 for the legs and another £500 for the head and that's not considered to be an "expensive" tripod.

Last edited:
Well, it all depends on what you need. If you need sturdiness and weather resistant qualities, then you'll be looking at a lot more than £200, for a CF new tripod. An older aluminium Manfrotto or similar can be had for £150 or so; even less. Here's one for under £60 inc postage (the head isn't great but can be replaced with something more versatile).

I'd recommend Manfrotto as a good all round inexpensive tripod; well made, nothing fancy, but a good system with different heads etc. Better than plasticky stuff found in Jessops andArgos etc. My 190 must be around 30 years old now, still going strong. I replaced a leg section as it got dented once; they are rebuildable.

My tripod is a very sturdy. light weight tripod but its's £500 for the legs and another £500 for the head and that's not considered to be an "expensive" tripod.
I think most people would consider £1000 to be pretty expensive! Of course, video tripods are another matter. They can cost silly money.

I think most people would consider £1000 to be pretty expensive! Of course, video tripods are another matter. They can cost silly money.

Yes it is expensive, my wife will attest to that but compared to some Gitzo legs which are £800+, it's a relatively cheap tripod. I'm talking about the legs here.

Heads don't have to be expensive but it depends on what you need it for. A basic ball head can be £100-150 but some of the Acra Swiss Cubes are over £1.7k .

Have a look at the artcise tripods on amazon. You’ll get cf in your range and a decent tripod. I’ve got as as90 and an as80

if you’re looking for a ‘name’ then have a look at the used sections at ffordes, mpb

£175 without a ball head

Yes it is expensive, my wife will attest to that but compared to some Gitzo legs which are £800+, it's a relatively cheap tripod. I'm talking about the legs here.

Heads don't have to be expensive but it depends on what you need it for. A basic ball head can be £100-150 but some of the Acra Swiss Cubes are over £1.7k .
Sweet Jesus of Nazareth; just had a look at some of those Arca Swiss heads. You could buy a camera for that! :ROFLMAO:

Sweet Jesus of Nazareth; just had a look at some of those Arca Swiss heads. You could buy a camera for that! :ROFLMAO:
Depends on the camera - the sort of person who buys an Arca Swiss Cube isn't using an entry level camera with kit lens (and the Cube is probably sitting on a set of Gitzo legs that cost as much as the head!)

Have a look at second hand sellers, ideally shops rather than ebay.

Back