which tripod and head?

Name
ian
Edit My Images
Yes
lets open a can of worms:nuts:, what would people reccomend as a good set of legs and a good head for landscape work.

Well my two would be a Kenro HT-1730, as recommended very highly in an edition of Photo Plus and a Giottos (forget the model number, but is aluminium and comes with a pretty smooth ballhead). IIRC, costs around £150.

Think this is the one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1017920

Superb value for money IMHO and also recommended by the staff in the Warehouse Express showroom (all very good photographers)

look at Redsnapper for a tripod. I have one coming this week, to go with my 804RC2.

So I will let you know they are like. But the previous reviews on here have been very favourable puting it on a par with the Manfrotto. And £45 for TP members, you couldn't go far wrong.

But someone done a review of the tripod and head last week, on this forum. It would be worth a look for less than £100 delivered.(y)

thanks guys, i will look at the redsnapper, but seem keen on the 190 & 804.

I was going to go for the Manfrotto 190xprob and the 804rc2, however, I went into Devon Camera Centre to have a play with it fully erect and it wasn't as sturdy as what I imagined. I need it for mainly landscape like yourself, so checked out the 055pro version which seemed much better as the legs at the bottom when fully extended are a fair bit chunkier. I'd say worth a visit to check out for yourself. Im glad I did and will be buying the 055 and the 804rc2 head to go with it. Devon camera centre had it on offer it you want me to dig out a link for ya?

I've got a redsnapper and I can't fault it, although it is the only tripod i've ever had so I can't compare it to anything else. It's very sturdy though and well built.

:plus1: Mine arrived yesterday and whilst I haven't used it in anger yet it certainly seems sturdy enough for your purposes.

I`m going to put this in my sig............The Redsnapper tripod holds my 600 F4,TC and D300 on a Manfotto 393 head with ease........Yes, there are more versatile tripods, ones that are lighter and ones that go to the floor, but at £50, I regard the redsnapper tripod as excellent value for money, for my type of photography it is ideal.

Oooo I linky to my thread, famous at last :D

I honestly can't fault the Redsnapper and for the price it's very good value for money.

Don't let the fame destroy your life.:D

Great review, worthy of sharing with the masses(y)

Just got a Manfrotto 055 pro with a 322Rc2 joystick head and it's fantastic! Holds a D80, nice chunky lens and multiple TCs. Cost £180 all in all I think....

:ty:ordered the red snapper tripod and from ffords a manfrotto 460mg head, both for under hundred quid.
so thanks for everyones advice(y)

Ian

I too have just ordered a redsnapper tripod to go with my Manfrotto 029 head after reading all the comment here. So thanks from me also.

190XPROB and 804RC2 my fav setup!! very good quality and you can always find good deals now on the manfrotto setups

looked at Manfrotto 190 series today - not that stable on the wooden floor of the shop and i'd need a donkey to carry it, never mind with a head attached.

I'm going redsnapper route, although was very impressed with a Velbon Sherpa 200R and head on offer at £60. very stable when new.

I use a gitzo 1128cf and a velbon magnesium ball head.

I've been looking at a few, and done a bit of looking about and Im hoping to get the Manfrotto 190XPROB with 804RC2 head very soon, it looks quite sturdy.
I got this from Morris Photo and think it's excellent (y)

The 190XPROB is a nice weight for carrying, but it's not as sturdy as the 055 version. I found the 055 a bit heavy to carry about all day, hence why I bought the 190, but there is no doubt it the "better" tripod.

Back