Which tripod for the 40d + 17-85mm IS USM lens

Edit My Images
No
Dear all,

I would like to get a Tripod for my 40D + 17-85mm lens, that will be light enough to take travelling but decent enough to last me as I don't want to be buying another one in a year or two. I bought a Velbon cx540 from Jessops but think I was talked into it by sales man, not sure how good/bad these are??

Can anyone suggest a good one that won't cost a newbie the earth.:help:

Erm, so you have already bought the CX540? Are you looking for another or selling the CX540 to fund a new one?

I'm confused :thinking:

Yes I already bought the Velbon CX540 the other day but will be returning it and want to get one that will last me.

Sorry for confusion, any ideas?:help:

I love my Manfrotto XPROB and RC2 Head. They make a great base for a 1d and 17-85IS so will last you. Cost about £130 on fleabay all set to go. Failing that you can go a step up to Carbon Fibre but then your talking £300+++. I have heard good things about Gitzo but apparently they are geared more to the top end CF pods.

Overall I like the Manfrottos for their strength, durability and lockable (adjustable) legs. Being able to tighten them over their life seperates them for the Velbons etc... they are made to cost more in the first instance but not have you buying a new one every year!
They do a vast range. Your best bet is to choose your legs based on budget, then chose a suitable head for your equipment and usage. Ball heads are popular for their versatility, but you can also get more traditional pan heads too.
A bag is also a worthwhile investment!

Good luck! (y)

Ball Head is TB-12+QR plate
Tripod is TRI-283 Alloy 3-Section Tripod

Cost me just under £100 for both, delivered

Back