Which tripod

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hi ive started to take up photography and have got to the point i could do with a tripod. I think I've got it down to either a new redsnapper RSF-284M & RSH-61/30 Ball Head or a used Manfrotto 055PROB & 496 Ball Head.
Part of me say go new, the other says go for a better brand... What do you think?

Last edited:
Is the 496 head 496RC2? If you have any heaviish lenses blah blah blah look for a head with a bigger mounting plate. That mounting system (200PL) was fine when cameras had metal bottoms and zoom lenses were not that popular [Caveat I did not have any zoom lenses back then].

Last edited:
Hi I have the option of the rc2 or non rc2 - I was going to get the rc2.
Currently both are fine for my kit nikon d50 and 70-200 sigma lens - in fact my whole bag weighs 2.5kg so I'll be fine.

Go for the cheapest and spend the rest on a monopod also.

Just my 2p!

I have never been happy with Manfrotto ball heads and the RC2 QR system is a wee bit wobbly! If you want a really rigid ball head that locks solidly with any lens (well maybe not a 1200 F5.6 L!) then have a look at the Triopo RS3. Add a cheapo Arca type clamp and you will have a ball head that makes large Gitzo tripods look a bit bendy! This combo will set you back around £40/45 quid on FleaBay. I can't speak for the longevity of this tiny little head as I have only had mine for about 7 years but my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS is still too light to test it and Canon don't, currently make anything bigger! Yes read that again - the lockup on this silly little Chinese ball head really is that good!

As to tripods? I like Gitzo - but I do not like spending money! Ideally I would suggest a 2 series Gitzo but they are silly money new! Other brands (Feisol, Benro, Induro etc) are making some nice alternatives but they are still pricey. I would suggest scouring the used market (+ auction sites) for a used Gitzo - after all if it is only 20+ years old it will outlast me and, probably, you?

Got an 055B sized Mabfrotto and head here you can have for a song. Following my smash I won't be using anything for a long time. Going to clear out what is left to pay bills while I get fixed.

Last edited:
Got an 055B sized Mabfrotto and head here you can have for a song. Following my smash I won't be using anything for a long time. Going to clear out what is left to pay bills while I get fixed.
Is it a 3 section or 4 section?

I cant remember and cant see from my bed....I'll get Anna to look for me - also a CarbonOne with magnesium head, similar size and an 075B, biggy with cranked column and stayed legs - used it for RZ67.

Going to have to shift everything while I get fixed, wont be working for some monyhs.

I bought this a good solid tripod at the right price
s-l140.jpg
sold by UK_smartlife on eBay.

I recently purchased the Benro Mach3 TMA47AXL Aluminium Tripod and I am very pleased with it. Solid sturdy and easy to use/adjust. Highly recommended.

1573990.jpg 1573990-5.jpg

Back