Which used xxD model?

Edit My Images
No
I recently sold my EOS 400D (Rebel XTi) body, with a view to upgrading.
I've kept my lenses.
I was hoping there would be a 60D by now - a successor to the 50D, but my understanding of the situation is that it may or may not materialise some time soon!

I've decided not to buy the 50D as I don't want it to be obsolete soon after I buy it (please don't reply to this post trying to persuade me to buy the 50D as I've made my mind up on that!)

So I thought I'd hang on and wait - maybe see if a new model comes out some time this year.

In the meantime I'm suffering serious withdrawal symptoms and want a DSLR to tidy me over until I buy a brand new camera.

So I'm considering buying a used 10D, 20D or 30D and then selling it (for hopefully not much less than I paid for it) when hopefully a 60D will eventually be available.

Any thoughts on which of these models would be a good buy?

You won't lose much/any money on any of those cameras....so buy the best you can!! My money would be going on the 40D....which it did!! (y)

the 20D looks great value to me, dirt cheap and a really capable camera

7D?? ;)

I think the gap between the 550D and the 7D is getting narrower so squeezing a 60D in there may be tricky to market.

I have a 40D and think it's fab and a huge step up from my 350D which is not too distant from your 400D. They hold their value well and you can pick up a very decent one for £400.

Be aware that your lenses (if they're EF-S) won't work with a 10D. Grabbing a good 20-50D won't lose you much, if anything, when it's time to move it on.

Bob

I personally can't really see where the 60D would fit in. If it is released, I imagine it's RRP would be more than the 7D sells for now anyway!

If you don't want to be talked into getting a 50D, go the whole way and get a 7D!

As a side note, just because a model gets replaced, doesn't make it obsolete. The 50D is still a great camera, regardless of whether there's a better model around. A friend of mine blew my shots out of the water with his 350D a few weeks ago, I was not impressed ;) :LOL:

What lenses do you own?
If you have consumer lenses then a 60D is not going to make massive difference in the image quality.
I was going to get a 7D with 1 L lens or perhaps wait for the 60D.
However, for me the move from a 40D to 50D has it's advantages and it also means I can buy 2 L lenses.

I agree with what Chris has said and it's going to be interesting to see what the price is when the 60D is released.
It's going to have to sit somewhere in the £700 - £900 price bracket and I can't see it being released at the current average 50D price of £700.
From £800 and upwards it will be to close to the 7D's price.

No doubt the 60D will include a new AF system similar to the 7D but as I said above with regard to the IQ between the 50D and 7D, Canon can not release a 60D that produces better IQ because the sales of the 7D would fall and 7D owners will be annoyed at the price they paid.

I'm honestly not trying to sell the idea of a 50D to you, just pointing out perhaps investing in lenses first and consider that the cost of the 60D not give a huge improvement with the IQ.

I've used xxD camera's for the past 5 years and they're absolutely cracking (y) started with a 10D, which got replaced by a 40D, and i now have a 50D while the 40D sits on the desk with all my other unused equipment :thumbsdown: should really sell it all but i never get around to advertising it etc :bonk: i'm now finding these a bit limiting (maybe your reason for upgrading?) so i'm now looking at upgrading to the xD camera's, 5D got ruled out fairly quickly ... 7D has put me right off with all the focussing issues, so i'm now looking at upgrading to a 1D :love: ... just waiting for the MKIV to come down a bit in price :LOL: If i were in your position right now, i'd have a 40D in my hands by now (y)

As a side note, just because a model gets replaced, doesn't make it obsolete. The 50D is still a great camera, regardless of whether there's a better model around.

I bet that if you couldn't have afforded to buy a 50D you would have gone for a 40D and still be happy upgrading from your 450D.

Chris is bang on here, look how popular the 40D is, there is plenty of demand for this camera in the secondhand market because bang per buck, it continues to offer a great camera for the price.
Obsolete products is a way of life in the electronics market but it doesn't mean the products can't carry on do a good job.

I've been through 40D, 50D and now 7D. 40D is now my wifes, and 50D is my 2nd body.

7D focussing has lots of options and configurations and you do have to sit down, read and understand the manual as to which focus mode to use. I bet a lot of the reported problems are by people who haven't done this.

Forget what or what isn't coming around the corner, buy a good used 30D/40D/50D, learn to use it and enjoy taking pictures. Photography is not about buying the latest kit. Cameras don't become obsolete just because a new one is released. I sometimes wonder if actually taking photos is secondary to spending a fortune on the latest kit these days in the naive hope that it'll somehow make you a better photographer. Maaad. It's maaaad I tells ya.:wacky::D:naughty:

There is no hint that a 60D is actually the next step for the xxD line, let alone any news as to when it will be released. So you could end up getting yourself a 20D and then waiting forever for something that may never materialise. Like others have said, get what you need now, and in that respect I'd look at the 40D, 50D and 7D. The 40D was so not rendered obsolete when the 50D came out, nor was that on the scrap heap as soon as the 7D arrived. During the development stage of digital SLRs in the early 2000's, where megapixelage was limited and each new version brought huge gains, I can understand the view that each new version rendered the older model obsolete, but not now. All three of the bodies I've mentioned could last most people for years, and it would be a long time before you'd really hit their limitations. I think it's a mistake to right off the 50D, to be frank.

I had a 400D which I, like you, sold. That was around 8 months ago, so I bought a 40D with the kit lens (17-85mm IS) and the result requires no thinking - go and buy one. I bought mine on Friday and it came yesterday - I still can't sit still.

It is a massive step up from a 400D, and a massive step up for me.

And I think he's put off by the 50D just because it's the one that's going to take the hardest fall - the 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D have all already lost money in their original values according to release date, and with the 60D released the 50D will have at least a few quid knocked off the price tag just because it's "out of date".

I can't understand it, I think old things are just fine. I buy used books because I know they read well. My father bought a notebook yesterday and was persuaded into Windows 7 instead of Windows XP because Windows 7 is "the latest". I would have chosen XP because I know it works.

"So I'm considering buying a used 10D, 20D or 30D and then selling it (for hopefully not much less than I paid for it) when hopefully a 60D will eventually be available."

I have a 20D and had a 10D. I think that the 10D is perfectly useable but that the 20D is a better buy, if you have the option, as it's much more responsive in use. Also, a 300D or 350D may also be worth looking at if you spot a bargain.

OK thanks for all the advice so far.
Lots of very useful pointers.
I'm leaning towards a used 30D - looks like I can pick one up for about £250. 20D's look like they're about £180, and 40D's seem to be levelling at about £400 (tell me if I'm wrong there?!)

Any good lens bargains out there in the second hand market?
These are the lenses I have:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0
and an older, slower Canon lens (from old EOS print film days):
EF 80-200 mm 1:4.5-5.6

Any recommendations for good quality, good value 'walkabout' lens - say 18-135, 28-80 something like that- better quality than the kit lens- doesn't have to be Canon?
I don't have a 'speciality' - like taking portrait shots, street scenes, buildings - no great urge to take landscapes or macro shots.

Is a 30D worth that much more than a 20D? They have the same chip as far as I know although the 30D has a bigger screen, but that doesn't matter to me.

30D has a bigger screen, afaik, nothing else is different compared to a 20D. I had 2 20D's for nearly 5 years, and they were both brilliant, never failed, constantly good results. I have just picked up a 40D in good condition for £385 from here.

As far as I know the 30D shutter is rated for more actuations and it also has in between ISO steps but from what I've read some say that they are not as good as the usual 100, 200 etc.. ISO settings.

Not sure exactly what you mean here - you don't want the 50D because you think it will be obsolete but will take one of the earlier versions :D

It does sound a bit bizarre, doesn't it? :p

Each to their own. :)

However, I think the 50D can quite easily hold it's own against any new cameras on the market for a few years to come, just like the 40D did even when the 50D came out.

I don't think you can get a better camera for the price of a second hand 50D, at least.

I think Canon hit quite a high peak with the 40D - usefully better than those before it, and not hugely improved upon by the models that followed IMHO. From the above it seems quite a few other peeps agree.

I sold a minter a few weeks ago for under £400. New 7D £1200... :shrug:

I am in exactly the same situation you are in. I do still have my 400D and will sell it on when the 60D come out. I wont sell my 400D for now. Ill wait for the 60D. If there is nothing by the end of the year then i "might" get a 7D if the bank account allow it :)

Personally I thought that the 7D was the upgrade to the 50D :thinking:

As you just want a stop gap camera by the sound of you post until canon releases its next generation of bodies, I would go for the 20D. The 30D was a complete waste of money and offered you nothing as an upgrade to the 20D. The 40D was a good camera and a step in the right direction, especially with more control of ISO compared to the 20D, the 50D has got caught in the megapixel race and hence has noise related problems and the 7D seems to require the better optics to produce the better image results once you've understood how to set up the camera. The 20D was and still is a great camera, still use mine today as a second body as the 1.6x crop comes in handy for motorsport and with a camera body price of £200-250 its a bargain.

Any tips on buying a used camera?
I'll due whatever due dilligence I can to assess the reputation of the seller, but what about things like actuations? How do I verify this, and how many is acceptable?
Anything else to look out for in this area?

Back