which walk about lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Which walk about lens would you recommend with a budget of £250 new.

Canon fit, prefer with Image stabaliser if poss.

IQ has to be good and sharp, macro capable (not essential though)

i did notice this at a reasonable price but unsure on IQ.
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro

any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a similar dilema at the moment - not happy with the 18-55 IS kit lens and have a 70-300 Sigma but need something a little shorter for walkabout and the Sigma 17-70 looks favourite for the money - but very little seems to be said about them.

chaz why is the canon preferred? I currently have the 18-55 non IS and although i can get nice out doors, doing some thing indoors close up its not that nice.

I do like a bit of macro, but my general style is a little of every thing.

really looking for a nice IQ without killing the bank acount (for now).

Are the likes of Tamron/Sigma etc stay aways and edge towards own brand?

is worth me selling the 18-55mm non IS for a IS version? Or stay with it and get a Nifty?

Also it could be user error with the camera. new the 40D.

example image.
4049986294_efe85fc1c4.jpg

Larger Version

chaz why is the canon preferred? I currently have the 18-55 non IS and although i can get nice out doors, doing some thing indoors close up its not that nice.

you realise the 17-85 IS and your 18-55 are quite different lenses other than the IS dont you?

have a read here

yes i am aware.

I impulse bought the lens from here as i was picking the body up and didn't own any canon lenses.

Just wouldn't mind a upgrade with IS or equiv and more of mm range.

oh i see, it would be nice but some convincing maybe needed to the wife. (This means nothing "constant f2.8" to her)

one that doesnt attract attention and can take wide angle and macro and up to around 80mm for the odd 'portrait'
you have to just not take the ones you cant..

Back