Which way up does a TLR expose film?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Strange question I know but, I've just got a roll of Provia back from Peak and noticed the same small black shape on the bottom right of every shot that I saw on the last last roll (my first through the camera). I initially thought it was some over-hanging flocking that I'd fitted but looking again, the edges are perfectly straight and always in the same place so that wouldn't be the material.

I've just taken another look and there's nothing between the elements and the aperture blades are opening fully. However, looking from the rear of the camera, the rewind for 35mm film (it's a dual format Yashica 635) looks to be a match for the shape on the film. It's top left on this image;

View attachment 39833

I can pull the rewind knob out and lock it but just wondering if anybody else has shot with a 635 and found the same issue? I'll upload an unedited example when I scan the slides.

Yes, that would make sense..... RTFM you muppet. :D

But to answer the actual question - a lens will always produce an upside down mirror image of the subject, so the top left of the image as you view it will be recorded on the film at the bottom right. Assuming no mirrors, prisms or other optical jiggery pokery is involved.

Thanks Stephen, that definitely means it's the 35mm rewind release in the way.

Also, thanks Andy for your never ending wisdom and knowledge ;0)

Happy to help matey.:D

I had some negs from Nicks TLR the other week, I assume it was a TLR, they didn't half cock up my method/workflow, I'm used to negs shot across the frame, these were shot down the frame so nothing fit my lines on the easel and I couldn't view the scene the right way up, it was all a bit....odd

I had some negs from Nicks TLR the other week, I assume it was a TLR, they didn't half cock up my method/workflow, I'm used to negs shot across the frame, these were shot down the frame so nothing fit my lines on the easel and I couldn't view the scene the right way up, it was all a bit....odd

Yeah, film runs vertically through all of my cameras, save for my Holga, which can make things awkward in the darkroom sometimes, as everything is turned 90 degrees.

Back