Which would you buy...50D or 17-55 lens

Edit My Images
No
Currently have 30D with kit lens, and I also have a 50mm 1.4 lens but find its too tight to fit a group of people in, so I use the 18-55 kit lens instead, but I'm not happy with the quality of prints (especially when I crop pictures)??

I have a budget of £1000 and have come down to two options ...upgrade to the 50D or buy the 17-55 2.8 lens for the 30D. Both roughly £800.
Other suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

How about buying a 40D and the lens both secondhand and still be in budget?

I would say get the lens, if you can find a good s/h one then maybe a 40D too.

40d or 50d + 17-85is kit lens?

40d or 50d + Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 18-50 f2.8 both cracking lenses by all accounts

Or keep the 30d and get some nice 3rd party glass. £1000 will get you a couple of nice F2.8 zooms

I got the 17-55 2.8 and 40d I would do the same again.

What about the 24-105 instead of the 17-55? Depends if you need the wide end I suppose? You can then use your 50 1.4 for low light situations, and the zoom as a walk-about lens.

I've got a 30D and would struggle to justify paying extra for a 40D, I'm 99.9% sure it wouldn't improve any of my pictures.

I would be (and am) looking at the 24-105 or 24-70 as my next lens upgrade.

Thanks for all the replies, my preference is to stay away from secondhand equipment and look at getting the Canon 50D with Tamron 17-50.

I've got a 30D and a 50D, I'd keep the 30D & buy the glass :)

You could buy a 50D
But you will still have to use the 18-55 lens to get everybody in. So you will still be unhappy with the quality.

Get the glass.

BTW, Ask Kerso for a price on a 50d. I paid for one yesterday for around the £700 mark (Forgetting postage)

But i don't think he has any more in stock atm..

I got both.
I would get glass first then a new body, thats if ** not getting the Tammy.
A kit lens on a 50d is :thumbsdown:
U really need good glass for the 50d.

I would get a Canon lens. Good glass holds its value for much longer & in a year or two you will be able to buy a newer body secondhand for a couple of hundred quid. You can't say that about a £1000 lens.

Personally, I wouldn't get the 17-55mm because it's EF-S and I want to go FF someday (when secondhand 5Ds are a bit cheaper). But if you're always going to be happy with a 30D, 40D, 50D, whatever then I don't think you'll regret the 17-55mm

Stroller.

I would get a Canon lens. Good glass holds its value for much longer & in a year or two you will be able to buy a newer body secondhand for a couple of hundred quid. You can't say that about a £1000 lens.

Personally, I wouldn't get the 17-55mm because it's EF-S and I want to go FF someday (when secondhand 5Ds are a bit cheaper). But if you're always going to be happy with a 30D, 40D, 50D, whatever then I don't think you'll regret the 17-55mm

Stroller.

Yes I'm also thinking I might upgrade to the 5D in future (when they get cheaper), is there an equivalent lens to the 17-55mm that would work on both the 30D/50D and a 5D ?

Canon 24-70 will give you roughly the same focal range on a F/F, but it may not be wide enough for the 30D.

You sure that you cant pick up a 5D classic for £1000 ???

I think the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 is so good that there will always be a strong 2nd hand market for it, so you can safely go with that until you are ready for FF. Just make sure you keep all the packaging safe as that is important for resale.

the 17-55 IS is a lot of money.
I want one.
however, I do like my 17-50 Tamron
With the 40D I find the two work very nicely for walkabout, portrait, indoor and fight-night shots.

personally if I were upgrading I'd be wondering if it would be cheaper to get a 40D over a 50D..
also personally I like first hand DSLR bodies but buy 2nd hand glass quite happily

Back