Which Zoom Lens?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I'm quite new to DSLR photography, I bought a 400D a couple of months ago which came with an 18-55mm kit lens, and I've since bought a 50mm prime. The camera was originally bought to get some good shots of my child, hence the 50mm, but I have a hankering to try out some new things.

I want to try a zoom lens, don't want to spend much and have seen a couple on ebay. First is a Canon 35-105mm 3.5-4.5 and the second is a Canon 80-200mm 4.5-5.6. Obviously different focal lengths but I'm wondering which I should go for? I'd like to capture typical kid in the park type stuff, maybe some outdoor portraits of kid and wife.

Both lenses are between £50-60. Fair price?

Your camera takes EF-S lenses and EF lenses, before you do anything check that these are not the older FD mount lenses, if there are they will not fit without an adaptor and will not autofocus.
Save your pennies and buy a 55-250 IS , have a look on MPB Photographic, they have them for £120-150. Link at the top of the page

Last edited:
They are EF lenses but I think they're pretty old. That lens you mention looks good, but people seem to be taking mostly sports and wildlife with it - maybe it's a bit long for what I want it for?

Purely in terms of reach the choice would be 80-200. 18-55 is covered. The 35-105 takes over at 55 through to 105. The smallest gap is 25 i.e. 55 to 80.

I have ignored the crop factor.

Back