Whitby Gothic Weekend 2013

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a selection of images from the recent goth event at Whitby. Some of the outfits are really amazing and it's great that everyone we came across were more than happy to be photographed. Here's the link to the full set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltaskies/sets/72157637703612946/

Whitby-Goth-2013-04
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Whitby-Goth-2013-08

Whitby-Goth-2013-10

Whitby-Goth-2013-11

Whitby-Goth-2013-14

Whitby-Goth-2013-17

Loving the characters you have captured here; focus is pin sharp and I like that you have gone for a range of headshots. the costumes and make up also look wonderful. Am off to look at your Flickr stream to see if you caught any ful length costumes.

A quality set on Flickr too! Is it me, or does there seem to be a lot of Steampunk there now? When I was there last - back in 2006 - it was all gothic with just a touch of victoriana.

I absolutely love, love, love this event.
It's been a few years since I got to visit, but your images evoke great memories.
They are sharp, colourful and show great connection.
Isn't it great to have such fabulous, enthusiastic subjects?

Yes, a very good set with more good ones on Flickr. Not sure which is my favourite, possibly 2 or 3, but the sharpness is great in all of them.

I like them but the crops/framing are very tight on some and it would of been nice to see a bit more of the subjects

Like em all Peter to be honest with you nice and sharp with good interaction with the subjects. A slightly less tighter crop would be good and I see there are a few on your flickr. Keep promising myself that I will go but a another year has passed me by :(

Steve

I thought about having a ride over, but the weather forecast didn't look so good.

Pleased someone managed a few shots, don't mind the tight crops as I know how fussy the backgrounds can be.

All good (except perhaps the last ), No 2 really shines.
It looks as though you spent some time up by the graveyard at the top of the steps.

Cracking set! Well done! I would love to go at some time but I think that I read somwhere (possibly on TP?) that the goths that the goths are getting a little fed up being hasseled by photographers?........

Loving the characters you have captured here; focus is pin sharp and I like that you have gone for a range of headshots. the costumes and make up also look wonderful. Am off to look at your Flickr stream to see if you caught any ful length costumes.
A quality set on Flickr too! Is it me, or does there seem to be a lot of Steampunk there now? When I was there last - back in 2006 - it was all gothic with just a touch of victoriana.
Thanks for the kind words Simon. I must admit to liking the steampunk look. Some of the costumes must have had hours of work gone into making them let alone some of the imagination the maker used to think up some of the contraptions they have.

I absolutely love, love, love this event.
It's been a few years since I got to visit, but your images evoke great memories.
They are sharp, colourful and show great connection.
Isn't it great to have such fabulous, enthusiastic subjects?
Thanks Paul. Some people go there for the music part of the weekend, some for the fact it is goth and some just to promenade up and down happily waiting for photographers to pounce :)

Yes, a very good set with more good ones on Flickr. Not sure which is my favourite, possibly 2 or 3, but the sharpness is great in all of them.
Thanks Ged. These were taken using an old Nikon 180mm 2.8 on the front of a D7000. I have to say it's an absolutely cracking lens.

I like them but the crops/framing are very tight on some and it would of been nice to see a bit more of the subjects
Thanks Nick. I decided just to use one lens - I was using a 180mm so because of that purposely went for in the main head shots. With so many people around it was difficult to stand back far enough and not get other people in the way.

Like em all Peter to be honest with you nice and sharp with good interaction with the subjects. A slightly less tighter crop would be good and I see there are a few on your flickr. Keep promising myself that I will go but a another year has passed me by :(

Steve
Thanks Steve. Go for it - it really is a great event. It took a while to get going on the Sunday though. I think at one point there were more photographers than goths :LOL:

I thought about having a ride over, but the weather forecast didn't look so good.

Pleased someone managed a few shots, don't mind the tight crops as I know how fussy the backgrounds can be.

All good (except perhaps the last ), No 2 really shines.
It looks as though you spent some time up by the graveyard at the top of the steps.
Thanks Les. Yes went up to the top a couple of times. I have to say most people up there were well behaved - including the togs. The worse we saw was a mother with three kids who obviously went to dance/acting school. They had nothing to do with the goths, just dressed in halloween style outfits/makeup. The mother was encouraging them to climb all over the gravestones for photographs. Given the TP POTY theme of "respect" this month I thought it was quite the opposite.

Cracking set! Well done! I would love to go at some time but I think that I read somwhere (possibly on TP?) that the goths that the goths are getting a little fed up being hasseled by photographers?........
Thanks Paul. As I've said above there's a big group who go just for the photographs. We've never had any problems although we are always conscious that someone might object in which case I'd be happy to oblige.

Back