Beginner Whitby

Edit My Images
Yes
Found myself with a couple of days to myself this week, so have booked three nights in Whitby, which is a part of the world I have never been to. I really fancy the idea of trying a bit of landscape photography, hence going to Whitby. Any suggestions as to anywhere specific to try my hand?

The classic spots are from the piers, mainly West Pier, a few nice viewpoints round the Abbey and steps up/down to it.
Sandsend a mile up the coast is nice and less stupidly busy.
At Saltwick Bay a mile or so south is a wreck on slippery rocks, worth considering - be aware of tide times.
You won't be short of inspiration, lots of small details along the old fish quay areas, old bollards etc - and street candid portrait photos are relatively easy

Was there recently....
The Von trump as 4wd alluded to is quite a sad story, and more so if you do visit be super careful of the tide, its one of those that get behind you before you realise it, leaving you with 3 options. Wade through it, retreat to a ledge and wait it out for 8 hours (if the standing wave height isn't to high ) or drown, people have lost lives to it.

The tide gets the beach in the image here, before it gets to the wreck, and it does so quickly! Well worth a visit though.

Admiral Von Tromp Shipwreck
by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

Depending on the weather it could be worth spending a day wandering about in the North Yorks Moors
just a short drive inland. Unlike most upland area's the roads tend to run along the tops - less boggy
presumably so you get a lot of views straight out of the car.

The Abbey is nice if a bit b**dy expensive for a ruin.

Whitby Abbey - spooky by Stephen.Palmer, on Flickr

If i remember right there is a church at the top of the steps .Inside part of it looks like something you would see on an old whaling film. Whitby was once a whaling departure port i believe.Others may know more about this .

A run up the coast to Staithes is worth the trip if you have time......

Yup but I think the best of all in this part of the world is Saltburn where there's a beach, pier and funicular rail lift.

OP.
If you haven't been and gone yet and if it's not too late remember that fish and chips is a must :D The Magpie is the most famous place to eat but I don't think there's any difference in quality eating at the less popular fish and chip places very close by.

You might take a look at the glass and Whitby jet shops too especially if there's someone in your life you might want a present for.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Found myself with a couple of days to myself this week, so have booked three nights in Whitby, which is a part of the world I have never been to. I really fancy the idea of trying a bit of landscape photography, hence going to Whitby. Any suggestions as to anywhere specific to try my hand?

I'm a real sucker for the cliche pier shots. Get there before sunrise and if the light is good you'll capture a belter.

Cheers.

Robin Hoods bay is worth a look

Whitby abbey is closed until April for improvements to the visitor facilities. Plenty to do elsewhere as others have suggested though.

Another vote for Whitby Abbey and I do agree about it being expensive. Although the Abbey is part of English Heritage, the car park and toilets are run by the local council so that means twice or three times if you need a wee.

Whitby Abbey II by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Back