White Backgrounds are Dead !!! - new image added

The image looked slightly familiar to me - then I recalled the David Bailey shot of Mick Jagger in a fur hood. Was there any intention to reference that image Dave?

Anthony.

The image looked slightly familiar to me - then I recalled the David Bailey shot of Mick Jagger in a fur hood. Was there any intention to reference that image Dave?

Anthony.

:clap::clap::clap:

Well seen m8

We had a club comp a few years back entitled 'In the style of' - and I did a version of the Bailey shot then, though much more contrasty as per Bailey's own of Mick

This was just revisiting it, but less so on the drama side

As you obviously know, the Bailey original is very contrasty and very blown - my version a few years ago was also very contrasty and very blown - and the camera club peeps hated it, for being... very contrasty and very blown :bang::bang::bang:

The In the style of idea seemed to completely pass them by :LOL:

DD

Anthony.

Seems to be quite a common portrait style, seen lots and lots of fur hoods on flickr.

Gary.

Seems to be quite a common portrait style, seen lots and lots of fur hoods on flickr.

Gary.

Anything that frames the face is commonly used in portraiture, and as 'Parkers' are back in fashion it's an obvious one to go for - so I'm not surprised, but I do suspect many of the younger togs are 'inventing' the shot rather than copying Bailey's

Not much is new really is it :shrug:

DD

Hmm...

The sharp fur soft face doesn't work for me simply because the fur draws me away from the eyes, the other way around would work better, fur is soft and fluffy so being OOF "feels" right. I think I would have gone and broken a few more rules here too, get the subject near 45deg, very shallow DoF and focus just on the eye peering out from behind the soft OOF fur, have to be in colour almost high key with strong, deep colour in the eyes.

Just another opinion for the pot ;)

Commercially, parents love it so job done, money in the bank, next please and that's what it's about - providing a product the customer wants (y)

Hmm...

The sharp fur soft face doesn't work for me simply because the fur draws me away from the eyes, the other way around would work better, fur is soft and fluffy so being OOF "feels" right. I think I would have gone and broken a few more rules here too, get the subject near 45deg, very shallow DoF and focus just on the eye peering out from behind the soft OOF fur, have to be in colour almost high key with strong, deep colour in the eyes.

Just another opinion for the pot ;)

Commercially, parents love it so job done, money in the bank, next please and that's what it's about - providing a product the customer wants (y)

That's close to my post of...

'Shoot it completely differently by a different photographer'

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

But a good and valid PoV too - thing is, there's only so many McDonalds' meals I can afford or would like him to eat - and despite being mine, he's remarkably reticent (perhaps sick of even :D) getting in front of the camera

What's a dad to do :shrug:

DD

I have to agree with Pixl8, so far its been the most constructive comment so far imo..

Im not TOO keen Dave, its a nice shot and im quite a fan of Diffused glow too, but in THIS instance its just not quite there.. MY thoughts are if the eyes were sharper it would work, iv found that i like the diffused look on images that are not so close up.. as it is, IMO it has made the eyes look lack lustre.. if it had been taken further away so the eyes were not such a big part of the image it would have looked great.. maybe just a little more glow..

I like images that break rules.. i wish I could be more creative! my images often break rules but dont get the "Status" they deserve!! lol.. oh well..

So, i 'get' the picture, but its just not there, ONLY because of the eyes...

I hope this has been a nice constructive crit... (y)

Last edited:
Heck, he'd have to repolulate Barnsley at that rate Janice.

Fraggle that's a great point you made about keeping the eyes sharp. :)

Thanks AliB, iv tryed the process in the past as i do like the soft focus look, but when ever i have kept the eyes sharp they just look mad!! too 'in your face!' obvious! :shrug:

Im not good enough with PP to really say WHAT would be better..

Thanks AliB, iv tryed the process in the past as i do like the soft focus look, but when ever i have kept the eyes sharp they just look mad!! too 'in your face!' obvious! :shrug:

Im not good enough with PP to really say WHAT would be better..

Points all well taken - and Frag - you can crit the live out of my work - I don't mind and may benefit from it too

Funny thing here is... the eyes have NOT been softened in any way, they've just not been sharpened

And... my Lord (ess) and obvious master has seen a 'sharper' one and prefers this - and so do I (though there's a fair argument that says that's to keep the peace :D)

Some you lose, some you can't win

:LOL:

Never EVER think you can't pass a neg comment though - Bailey, Shutterman, Ansel et al all produce 'crap' from time to time in some eyes (y)

DD

DD no crit from me I just like the shot....but I did wonder how it would look with a tighter crop so had a play.... it doesn't work, but it does make your lad look like he is wearing a tina turner wig :)

On a side note the thread has certainly been an interesting read.

Lee

Ms Turner eh ???

You should have posted it :)

Interesting read - yes - I think it kinda turned into a wider debate in parts, unfortunately, a couple seemed to think I'd been throwing teddies when they are all safely seated beside me

I guess not everyone can appreciate moi's sense of wit & sarcasm :shrug:

DD

DD

well its the last time i give your threads any of my honest thoughts...

from now on its a (y)

followed by i like it

md;)

Depending on how that was meant...

:razz:

:love:

(y)

DD

I think the thread has so many examples of "lost in translation", its insane! Keep it light hearted and fun at all times, never take any of it too seriously, and the jobs a goodun! :D

G.

Ms Turner eh ???

You should have posted it :)

DD

Here ya go, Joe in Tina Turner/ Barry Manalow wig :D

Joe_in_hood_TTcrop_-_web.jpg

Interesting read - yes - I think it kinda turned into a wider debate in parts, unfortunately, a couple seemed to think I'd been throwing teddies when they are all safely seated beside me

DD

As Gary said I think a lot of comments got taken the wrong way, but from how I read what you said you can hold ya head high :)

Here ya go, Joe in Tina Turner/ Barry Manalow wig :D

Joe_in_hood_TTcrop_-_web.jpg

As Gary said I think a lot of comments got taken the wrong way, but from how I read what you said you can hold ya head high :)

Cheers for that comment m8 (y)

And I think this shot may be... Simply the Best

I'll see if he wants to borrow his sister's little black dress and high heels for the full TT look :eek:

DD

DD

Cheers for that comment m8 (y)

And I think this shot may be... Simply the Best

I'll see if he wants to borrow his sister's little black dress and high heels for the full TT look :eek:

DD

DD

Now there is a shot he could look back at and feel proud!! im sure his future GFs would love it:LOL:

I think pros should be banned from posting pics on TP, it brings out the worst in some people..................:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think pros should be banned from posting pics on TP, it brings out the worst in some people..................:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm sure that was in jest - but it may not be a bad idea :p:p:p

Everyone who posts an image is risking being shot at - it's just with Pros everyone uses bigger guns :D

DD

PS - kidding !!! Just for clarity ;)

Back