white on white...

Name
Nattelie
Edit My Images
Yes
Using a home studio setup, is it going to be possible to light white on white meaning a white background and someone wearing a white dress?

Easy way out is obviously to shoot black background, but was wondering if it really would be too much hassle doing white one white? :thinking:

if you get a good white background, plenty of light and expose the subject properly, no reason why not. the more detail the dress has, the more perceived separation you would have

Yes you can do it. To get good separation it may be adviseable to either provide some backlight to the white subject or use black panels either side to subtract light and provide edge definition but yes it is possible, just not as easy.

There are many shades of white, next time you are in B&Q have a look in the paint section. The key is to make sure you get your exposure absolutely spot on to give the process a chance of showing the seperation between your white background and the white clothing

The main thing is to have enough distance between your background and the subject so no light from the background can destroy the edge detail of your subject.

If your subject is then properly exposed you will have seperation.

It can be done ..

Here is a example.

white_on_white.jpg

MD

That's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen! Why would anyone want to dress their baby like that, photograph or not? :wacky: :D

That's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen! Why would anyone want to dress their baby like that, photograph or not? :wacky: :D

Christening .... !!

Each to there own

MD

He looks like a little butler from the future! Good example though!

EdBray's right, so long as they're not too close to the backdrop you don't risk the light spilling onto the front of your subject.

The space that I have isn't very big.

This is why the HiLite was invented! I used it to shoot a portrait recently in their living room where two of the girls had white tops on. It seemed to come out well and they ordered extra copies in 16 x 12 so must have done something right.

As has been said, it's a very common theme and one that sells well, especially with babies in plain white vests. If it's got a shine to it then you have to watch your light levels a bit more and the positioning but you should be fine... don't worry about it. (y)

A quick example
fe8c4be5.jpg

Back