Beginner White Out / Loss of Colour GoPro

Edit My Images
No
I'm doing aerial photography using a multirotor (drone) and at the moment a Gopro which I've changed the lens for one that doesn't give any fish eye and ever since the colour in the photo's has varied dramatically and I'm trying to find out what's causing it.

I've attached 2 photos, both were taken within 5 seconds of each other although I had tilted the camera up more which is the one that has the richer colours.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated as I'm losing a large number of the shots taken to the washed out effect.

I appreciate a GoPro isn't the best camera for stills but without spending a heap more money you can't attach many other cameras to multirotors easily.

These aren't the worst pictures some of them are more pronounced but Muphy's law when you want to find them you can't.

In case I decide to change the multirotor / camera, would most other cameras deal with this sort of situation better, I didn't used to get it before I changed to the non fish eye lens teh colours and light management used to be vibrant.

If I fit an ND filter to the Gopro what effect might that have / would it help?

You need to learn the basics of exposure, and that will be affected by how much bright sky is in the image. But with these two shots, I'll take a punt and say it's lens flare, possibly caused by a finger-print or smears on the lens? Also, if you have a protection filter on there that won't help either. Use a lens hood.

I'm no expert on these things, but a friend has a six-rotor jobbie and gets great results with a Sony A7, stills and video, after he dumped the Go-Pro.

Last edited:
I'm doing aerial photography using a multirotor (drone) and at the moment a Gopro which I've changed the lens for one that doesn't give any fish eye and ever since the colour in the photo's has varied dramatically and I'm trying to find out what's causing it.

You probably changed the lens for something with a poorer coating and/or generally poorer optics than the original.

Contrast, colour fidelity and flare handling are all properties of the lens. Switch to a poor lens and you can expect the results to be worse than before.

You need to learn the basics of exposure, and that will be affected by how much bright sky is in the image. But with these two shots, I'll take a punt and say it's lens flare, possibly caused by a finger-print or smears on the lens? Also, if you have a protection filter on there that won't help either. Use a lens hood.

I'm no expert on these things, but a friend has a six-rotor jobbie and gets great results with a Sony A7, stills and video, after he dumped the Go-Pro.

Certainly I've heard excellent things about the A7 but they're a ton of money !!

I am considering upgrading maybe to an Sony RX 100 or possibly an A6000, the RX has a distinct weight advantage which is critical for the multirotors.

The lens was about £200, there's a link here
http://www.vd-shop.de/54mm-10mp-meg...nsholder-for-gopro-30237-for-gopro-p-560.html

Is there any way to tell if it's poor quality??

Well, there's no mention of any coating on the lens and it's sold as a "10 megapixel lens". For £200 I'd expect a multi-coated lens (and for your type of use I'd definitely want a coated lens), and I'd personally be questioning what "10 megapixels" has to do with lens specifications..

A simple fix that's worth trying would be to add a lens hood.

Well, there's no mention of any coating on the lens and it's sold as a "10 megapixel lens". For £200 I'd expect a multi-coated lens (and for your type of use I'd definitely want a coated lens), and I'd personally be questioning what "10 megapixels" has to do with lens specifications..

A simple fix that's worth trying would be to add a lens hood.

I'll try and give it a clean and as you suggest a lens hood, I saw a video a while back where someone made a really light one so it doesn't upset the camera gimbal / balance

Thanks for both your input !!!

Back