White studio portraits

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning fellow photographers.

I am a long time professional studio photographer, with 2 studios within my building, one white, one dark we also have gardens which we use during the spring summer months.

The question I have, the white studio, the one everyone still wants to be photographed in, is doing my head in!
To mix it up I have lots of different types of seating, which i can take in & take out where needed.
What can we do? I use the lighting in different ways, drop shadows ect also...
It just seems that every photo shoot is the same & this is now for 15 years....
Don't get me wrong, we are still well booked & people still give us great feedback & they repeat book for their other children ect...
But I am fed up with the same old stuff all the time, i'd love to hear your thoughts on this 1st word issue in photography.

Sincerely Andrew, a new member....

Welcome to TP. I see you have no answers yet and I can’t help, but maybe this would be better in the Talk Lighting and Studio section?

As I read this, it’s the age old conundrum.

The OP wants to run a successful business, creating images that are artistically rewarding. But the market wants images that are commercially satisfying.

IMHO it’s a business question, but not one there’s an easy answer to.

I think the complicated answer is to promote the hell out of the king of work you’re happier doing, in the hope that creates demand. The simple answer is just to refuse the white bg shoots, and get used to living on beans on toast.

Phil's reply is the unfortunate reality. If the white shots are paying your bills, they're doing their job despite being artistically unrewarding so until people start wanting other things, I'm afraid you're probably stuck with them. Maybe a load of alternatives framed in the reception/waiting area might help (when such areas are more populated!)

maybe hire some models to create a new series from the dark studio to promote that option and develop your "dark studio" market?

I almost almost always choose a white background in the studios I hire. If I need a different background, it is easy to add later but often I keep it simple. Your doing the same old stuff is one reason why I am glad I am only an amateur photographer as I can do what I like. A Club member who used to organise our studio sessions and train the models eventually decided to turn professional. When it came to paid work all he could get was photographing plastic industrial oil tanks. He gave up after 6 months. Your set up sounds better and another member who was a professional retired from a lifetime of portrait photography a relatively wealthy man.

Dave

Your customers keep coming back.
So you are doing something right..

Why not take a few in each studio of more cooperative sitters, as a free add on, to get some good examples to show what you can do.

Weight your framed samples you have up on your reception, towards more dark shots than white.

We always had a number of backgrounds we could pull down.

Thank you all very much, for your time in writing back to my post.
I have tried to promote the dark studio in ways you have mentioned above & also through social media.
It's not the end of the world & I still do like to make people happy, giving them what they really want.
I just thought maybe speaking with other photographer & hearing there view might give me inspiration.
Here are some images I made during 2021.
Thanks again & hopefully I can get involved in your fantastic Talk Photography forum.KZ2A9815.jpgKZ2A9892.jpgKZ2A9892.jpgKZ2A0033 (1).jpgKZ2A0033 (1).jpg

Welcome to the forum Andrew,

Why not invest in coloured drop down Backgrounds as opposed to just White or Black? As some customers may prefer them

I have several from this company - plenty tp choose from and far more attractive than plain mono in my opinion

Lovely images by the way

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like neither black nor white backgrounds to an image.
Just about any color or tone background can be achieved with a white ground by lighting and exposure.

This was perhaps more easily achieved in the days when we were using Large Studio Spots and floods for lighting.
But flash modifiers work too.
For a time I worked in a studio equipped with six 3000W fresnel spots, mostly they were used partially flooded and dimmed as needed.
gave a cinematic look. You could cook your Sunday roast on the dimmers.

I like neither black nor white backgrounds to an image.
Just about any color or tone background can be achieved with a white ground by lighting and exposure.

This was perhaps more easily achieved in the days when we were using Large Studio Spots and floods for lighting.
But flash modifiers work too.
For a time I worked in a studio equipped with six 3000W fresnel spots, mostly they were used partially flooded and dimmed as needed.
gave a cinematic look. You could cook your Sunday roast on the dimmers.
I was about to say something similar. A white background will give you anything from white to (effectively) black depending on how you light it (or don't). If you're using flash to keep it white you could try some coloured gels during the session to mix it up a bit, too.

Thank you for the last few posts, I have never used coloured gels before, could be an option.

Ill let you know how i get on.

Many thanks Andrew

I think.. you might be approaching the problem from the wrong end.

I choose a background to suit the mood or context required from a shoot.

Judging by your images, your business is that of providing bright, cheerful, minimally processed imagery. If you want to extend your business into other areas then you need to identify them first - and then suit the style to those areas.

If you do stick with the white then - again judging only by the images posted - you could do a lot more with the white background you have, that might make life more interesting for you. e.g.
- go for pure white
- vary the amount of flare
- add some rim lighting for a more pinup look
- combine high contrast and white background
- play with shadows
- go for really dreamy, soft focus high key (in camera)
- go really quirky & angular, include the backdrop in shot
- add hints of colour
- add swathes of fabric
- keep it bright and cheerful but try to create something which looks more like soft natural light.

hth

Back