White-Tailed Eagle problem.

This is the reality.

I imagine that a case could be made out, by a sufficiently determined pressure group, that culling other wild species to protect a bird species is inhumane. How would the RSPB fare if they found themselves on the receiving end of a campaign to save rabbits from predatory birds?

Sometimes, it's necessary to use a reductio ad absurdum to expose the fallacies in a widely held belief.
Some people aren't very good with reality :-(

The RSPB already have problems with pressure groups complaining about them killing things for conservation purposes. I know of members who have resigned their membership on discovering the RSPB were managing species in this way.

As an aside, I think landowners have a legal requirement to control rabbit populations on their land, and a more interesting issue is dealing with something like Goshawks eating red squirrels. or otters eating rare ducks.

I find it very sad that some humans want to kill anything that reduces their profit, foxes, badgers, dogs, Birds, Bees ... when will we learn to live in harmony with nature.

I’m not sure what you would mean by that, there isn’t really any “harmony” in nature, possibly you might think we should all live as hunter gatherers but that’s not possible with the numbers we now have. As soon as you start planting a crop you find that everything else wants to eat it and so here is conflict :(. It’s wrong to blame, in the current case, farmers for what we require them to do.

From memory there have been occasions in the past with "Golden" Eagles have been confirmed as taking live lambs.

This seems to be individual birds who develops the skill, and licenses have been issued to kill these individuals.

Sad as this is, I suspect this is a better approach for the species survival, than a flat refusal to issue licenses, which might just encourage illegal indiscriminate killings.

I don’t know why folk find it unlikely that Golden Eagles may take live lambs given that we’ve seen them taking foxes in Mongolia (? or Kazakhstan?) on TV and reputed to take wolves. Perhaps there are very robust Asian GE and scrawny Asian wolves. I think WTE are also used in falconry and I doubt that would be to catch fish.

I’m not sure what you would mean by that, there isn’t really any “harmony” in nature,
That Tennyson bloke got it right...
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

This looks very odd to me.

I know the press will want to make as much as possible of the story, but -

"The golden eagle can be seen grabbing on to the fawn’s neck as it attempts to make a getaway"

is rubbish. The first photo is very clearly not a fawn, it is an adult deer.

Dave

"The golden eagle can be seen grabbing on to the fawn’s neck as it attempts to make a getaway"

Dave

Dunno, it’s described in the text as “young deer”. It does look young to me but no expert. My first thought was that the deer was lying down in the heather and perhaps looked smaller than it was* but I think big birds of prey are “chancers” and can (almost) always fly off if the strike doesn’t work. I say “almost” because of those ospreys that try to catch fish that are too big and get drowned because they can’t release their talons.

* though birds’ visual acuity is against that, maybe it should have gone to Specsavers?

Dave
Journalistic incompetence. They're always making mistakes with captioning wildlife photos.

Coming from someone who can't see the difference between farming and

that's a trifle.....,.... erm........ rich.
I have to ask: what on earth are you on about? :thinking:

It's really crystal clear to me. see Post no 27.
Of course I know what I wrote and I stand by it. What I fail to understand is what you think you mean.

This thread seems to have lost its way a little with a couple of posters battling it out.
Lets get back to the eagles and quit with the ad hominem type posts.

Back