White Tailed Sea Eagle

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I was walking back down the hill towards my house today when I caught sight of a large bird out of the corner of my eye.

I was delighted when I realised it was one of the Sea Eagles and even more thrilled when it swept down and sat no more than 20 yards from me in the field beside the house.

I watched it for abot 10 mins before it went up into the trees at the end of the garden.

At that point I dashed inside to grab the camera but by the time I came out it was away. :bonk:

I've managed a few flight shots of them over the last few years from the garden but this would have been extra special as the light was good and the bird was so close.

Last edited:
Ain't it always the way

I always try just enjoy the experience and the memory (pic would have been nice though lol)

I certainly enjoyed watching it.

I've seen them overhead here quite a lot over the years due to the East Coast Sea Eagle Project site being on the hill next to where I live.

There's no doubting the fact that you get a good show on Mull or from Portree but there's something quite startling about one just landing beside you whilst you're walking the dog.

The last release was August 2012 and whilst they stay very local for a few weeks - this is the first I've seen in a few months and certainly the closest experience I've had.

Most amazing wildlife experiences happen when you don't have a camera. My advice is savour them and enjoy the moment. But if you start to see them regularly then it might be worth carrying a camera with you on dog walks.

Lucky you to have them on your doorstep

Most amazing wildlife experiences happen when you don't have a camera. My advice is savour them and enjoy the moment. But if you start to see them regularly then it might be worth carrying a camera with you on dog walks.

Lucky you to have them on your doorstep

I'm seeing this one perhaps every other day now.

It's pretty much down to chance though.

I know if I go and sit by the trees in the field at then of the garden I will get buzzards providing I'm prepared to sit still for an hour or two.

The Eagle/s - I could sit there for 3 months and not get one. That said I could go out the back to hang out the washing and see one in the big tree at the foot of the garden as that's happened before.

All I can do is try and keep the camera to hand.

Last edited:
Back