White Tailed Sea Eagles

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from the Golden Eagle pics, here are some from a local pair of white tailed sea eagles. These are Europe's largest bird and are massive. Pics aren't brilliant - ISO1600 with -1ev compensation (so equivalent to ISO3200) with shutter speeds of 1/30th to 1/160th of a second on a 500. It really was nearly dark! But still an amazing spectacle.

1. Incoming!

NR7V9585_Edit.jpg

2. "If you think you're hard enough"

NR7V9610_Edit.jpg

3. Symmetry

NR7V9653_Edit.jpg

4. Sing for your supper (the golden eagle was still flying around, leading to a territorial display from these guys)

NR7V9656_Edit.jpg

5. Beak off, it's mine

NR7V9665_Edit.jpg

6. She's a big girl

NR7V9707_Edit.jpg

Again all EOS 1D Mk II and 500 f/4. All have been through Noise Ninja to try and help the noise problems...

Paul

I think these are fantastic. #1 I'm not so keen on due to the motion blur but still a once in a lifetime shot. The titles you have given them are very apt, and these are really amazing shots of such rare birds. Well done.

These ongoing pictures are just amazing.
You are very lucky to capture such a rare bird (in the uk).

Please keep us updated.

Thought they looked big. Not knowing much about birds I googled...

Wikipedia
The White-tailed Eagle is a large bird, 70-90 cm long with a 200-250 cm wingspan. Females, weighing 4–6.9 kg, are significantly larger than the males, which weigh 3–5.4 kg. It has broad "barn door" wings, a large head and thick "meat-cleaver" beak

That is a big bird :)

looking pretty good for low light shots :)

Hi,

absolutely superb, you lucky sod what an opportunity, it's a wonder any of them are any good as I have no doubt you would have suffered 'buck fever'

Kinda make my Tit's look insignificant, now where have I heard that before..... :D

Brilliant :clap:

Mike.

I like no5, No5 is pretty awesome, and not forgetting no5,-although all good -except perhaps no1 but I can see why you have included it in the sequence.

Noise under control (except No6)

Good work.

Stunning, simply stunning :clap:

Thanks for the feedback all. Just for clarity for those that haven't seen my golden eagle threads, these were taken in Norway and not in Scotland - so the birds are a little less rare over there...

It's interesting that no-one seems to like number 1. It's one of my favourites. I have been trying to get a more "dynamic" look in some of my pictures and so that is why the shutter speed was so low. I've noticed that a lot of the wildlife photographer pictures are using motion blur. I was talking about this with a Norwegian pro and he was saying that the British seem less keen on the look than those in Scandinavia - is it because they have to work in lower light levels I wonder?

Back