White Water Rapids & canoes (Advice please) Pt 2

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Please leave a comment you like them or not......
I have been to the South Lakes this morning getting some shots for these guys.
This is a small cross section of what I have taken.
Now my problem is I would like to impress these guys as they want copies and I want another invite back to shoot more with them doing Rodeo, more white water etc etc. So please vote good or bad.

No1
TPC_6820.jpg

No2
TPC_6756.jpg

No3
TPC_6733.jpg

No4
TPC_6885.jpg

No5 (I know it gets boring about now but ive finished) (y)
TPC_6744.jpg

Thankyou for your time CC please Ive never shot this sport before (y)

Probably number five, out of all of them ... it's the easiest one to see his face in, and you feel involved in the action. The others all seem either too far away, too busy (i.e. can't see who's doing it - no personal connection), or look like no effort is being expended (not good for an adrenaline sport!).

Just my opinions ... hope they help and don't hinder!

1 and 5 for me(y) number 3 does not look right i think its his face as with number 4 its like their saying come on then take the pic. only my opinion though:shrug:

Hello Dakid I understand the face contact now, but do you think 5 might have swayed you with the size of the picture, only I find number 1 similar type of picture ??
I must get tighter in during the shooting and probably work faster as in a lot of shots the faces are hidden with the arms sholders etc
Thanx for the comments brilliant (y)

Hello Pokey number 3 was shot from a bridge so I need to get lower, ok thanx for that (y)
number 4 yes I thought that each time he passed he kept looking towards the bank at each set of weir`s so I have a lot of shots from a lot of the blokes looking towards me.
(Hopefully I have a set of 1s & 5s type shots of most of the blokes)
Thanx for the input.... more work to do, first time and all that (y)

tpC_68211.jpg

Nice group of shots, #5 is the best though...try not to hide their faces with the paddle or spray, and keep down at water level. Personally, I like the sense of action when they have one blade of the paddle dug in to the water (like #5), and a serious look of concentration!

Looking at the exif data, it seems 135mm is your top end - 18-135mm Nikon lens by any chance? A longer reach would give you more play and scope for photos as the canoists come down the river towards you...

Hello RDD Thanx for the info.
very helpfull thanx (y)
Its a lot to get together paddle, face, spray and hopefully a look of concentration :thinking:
I think I need the motor drive on high for each section of the run for each bloke just to try get all mentioned above, its not as easy as it looks :shrug: is it....
I was using 80-200 f2.8
The problem I had was I was trying to chase the canoes very little riverbank access and they (canoeists) were under the water or covered by the flow of water from the weirs so half the time I was guessing where they would come up :shrug: and the auto focus was fixing on the splashes and not there faces :shrug:

1 are 5 are the best for me. I shoot Wild Water Racing and Canoe Slalom, and a high frame rate is a must if you want to get the canoeists face without a paddle across it., you'll also need quite fast shutter speed to stop the paddle blades blurring.

Hello RDD Thanx for the info.
very helpfull thanx (y)
Its a lot to get together paddle, face, spray and hopefully a look of concentration :thinking:
I think I need the motor drive on high for each section of the run for each bloke just to try get all mentioned above, its not as easy as it looks :shrug: is it....
I was using 80-200 f2.8
The problem I had was I was trying to chase the canoes very little riverbank access and they (canoeists) were under the water or covered by the flow of water from the weirs so half the time I was guessing where they would come up :shrug: and the auto focus was fixing on the splashes and not there faces :shrug:

I would say youv'e done very well!

I had a go at this last summer when my son tried it. It's very hard for all the reasons you quote above. I wasted a lot of time trying to keep up with them and finding good riverbank locations. He is going to do it again this year and I have decided to spend more time sussing out good locations along the riverbank. I have over 200 sharp shots of him and a friend with a paddle covering the face or looking the other way or failing that, the autofocus is on a splash of water.

Whiteflyer hello. :wave:
Where is the photo ?? :shrug:
I need as much help as possible. Could you perhaps look over my pt 1 lot (if you dont mind) :)
Anymore tips (y)

Do you know any of these blokes (Cumbrian group)

Thanx for the tips

Admirable. Thank for the kind comment, looks like were in the same boat so to speak. (y)
Good luck
I have quite a bit to learn. With the few tips Im picking up as they come in I`ll be better equipped when I go out again. :clap:

I have found this stretch of river will be shut to the canoes because of the fishing rights, untill later this year or early next year :thumbsdown:

I've had a look or two through these shots so here's my 2p's worth.

The last is probably the best of the bunch. It's close in on the action, it's a simple blend of strong colours and the composition is nicely dynamic.

I think with any subject like this one the best shots are going to mostly fall into two main groups. The close in on the action ones like you have a great example of there and wide shots showing the person/activity in the wider context. So lots of mad white and dark water with the canoe placed at a power point in the frame. You know, making it look dangerous and vulnerable.

Some excellent shots there, in what looks like tricky light conditions (y)
No 3 is the best of the bunch for me. It has it all, good paddle position, eye contact and action. It's a shame his clothing, paddle and helmet aren't as colourful as the others.

Hello Dazzajl, ok 2p well spent thankyou, comments taken on board. (y)
I have a bit of work to do next time I`ll try some different shots next time try mixing it a little :bang:
(Its just I have to chase them down the river banks and there isnt a lot of access it was my first time there so hunting for places to catch them at the weirs was not easy)

Question for you and (IF) anyone who reads this do you think it matters too much if part of a paddle or part of the boat is missing in the shot ?? Because I have one or two quite close in and due to this bits of the boat or paddle are missing in some of my shots (I might post them) :shrug:

Hi Benroy thanx for that number 3 (umm thats thrown a spanner into the works):D
just got to make sure they wear bright colours and stop looking at the camera :D and paddle slow :naughty:
I could do with some (or A ) friends who paddle so I can order them about the river and save me running about :LOL:

do you think it matters too much if part of a paddle or part of the boat is missing
Nope, not at all if the shot is balanced, the composition is good and it looks right. After all, go look at all the fashion type mags and see how many chop off the top of the models head on the cover. If it gets you closer to the subject, it's all good.

Nope, not at all if the shot is balanced, the composition is good and it looks right. After all, go look at all the fashion type mags and see how many chop off the top of the models head on the cover. If it gets you closer to the subject, it's all good.

Brilliant thanx for that (y)
Ok Im going back thro my folder and have a good search for parts missing.... and that will be the new thread title parts missing if Ive saved any :LOL:

dazzajl is spot on, you don't need all the boat or paddle in the shot.

sowerby.jpg

Perfect example, that's a great shot.

As a sport it really lends itself to strong composition up close. (y)

dazzajl is spot on, you don't need all the boat or paddle in the shot.

sowerby.jpg

I see what you mean, the focus is on the person the focus on the face......(Great shot) (y)
Thanx for sorting the above shot out for me.
Helps out quite a lot (picture and a 1000 words etc)

Back