Wales Whiteford lighthouse.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning a short trip to the Gower peninsular in my motorhome at the end of March or early April. I would like to photograph Whiteford lighthouse and the Mumbles. I think I have identified a campsite close by ( Kennexstone) but if anyone has any other suggestions I would certainly be interested. I would like to attempt a Milky way shot whilst there but as I am a novice at this Genre I don't even know if it is possible - once again any suggestions would be welcome. Looking at Google maps there appears to be a 24hr car park close to Whiteford beach. As you can guess I am fishing for ideas and advice! Any suggestions for photographic locations would be welcome bearing in mind that I will have a greyhound with me and I am closing on 70 years old very fast so long hikes and scrambling over rocky outcrops is not on my agenda! I am not particularly tied to time so once I have finished there a move to another location would not be out of the question.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

The lighthouse is well worth a look, but it's a fair way along the beach (a mile or so I'd guess). Theres not much scrambling really, you can just walk along the beach more or less from the car park (small hill with path in between) the lighthouse itself is on roughish ground but more or less flat (mostly shells and small stones) but you'll probably get your feet wet if your going close to it with puddles.
Keep in mind it's only high and dry for a short time each side of low water (and hour maybe less?), the rest of the time you can't get right up to it, you can still get pretty close though. When the tides right out you can walk right out and touch it.
For a milky way off the top of my head I don't think it'll work, theres light pollution from across the eastury (bury port) and I suspect you'd need to get the eastury side for the angle (not sure) that would limit your time on site and you'd have to fit in with the tides.

Swanseamale47 Thank you for your response it gives me an idea what to expect and be prepared for. The milky way would be a bonus but I am not surprised that light pollution may make it difficult. The Gower will offer plenty of scope without standing in the dark on a freezing night!

You can get milky ways from the gower, done it myself, but I'm not sure about by the lighthouse, places I've used are Rhossili right down the end by the coastguard hut (easy walk on path maybe a mile) not much for foreground though. Pennard castle isn't bad and Cefn bryn has a few spots (mostly the south gower side) away from the worst of the light pollution from the Burry port side. Theres a few other quiet spots but they involve a bit more cross county or longer walks.

My plans to go to the Gower peninsular to photograph Whiteford Lighthouse and the Mumbles have hit a small snag. Originally we had planned it for April when the majority of camp sites open however we now wish to bring that forward to early March but cannot find a campsite close by that is open. Does anyone know of a site (or pub car park) that is open this early?

Theres a car park with an honesty box at the entrance of the road thats nearest to Whiteford beach, I've seen people camp there before, I don't know if it's open or not at the moment though. Theres plenty of places for a camper van to park up for the night on the various roads around gower, pull in's and laybays etc. You could try contacting the Gower inn in Parkmill, I've never seen the car park there closed, it's not too far from Whiteford by car (20 mins maybe?) Again Oxwich bay camp site may be open, not sure. Theres a couple "bunkhouses" dotted around Gower, I don't know about the Covid issue but they used to be open more or less all year around.
One of my mates is in the hotel trade, he used to have a place near Rhosilli so I'll ask him if he's still got the place, it had a big car park.

Back