Whitening Studio Backgrounds

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Guys

I wonder if anyone out there could give me a few hints and tips....

.... as you are probably aware both myself and Glitter are doing a lot of studio work at the moment (which we are both really loving) - however on some shoots, when the lighting has not been quite right we have a slightly grey background.

I have been shown a few ways to get this to white but all of them destroy the shadows cast on the floor? It also needs to affect only the background as I want control over the levels etc. on the person?:thinking:

Can anyone help????????:thinking::thinking:

Thanks
Converted(y)

If its going to white then the following could be of use.

In photoshop CS3>
Open image>
Image - Adjustments - Replace colour>
Whilst holding ****, click all the background area>
Then with the lightness slider take it across to the right.

This should give you a clean white background.
All you need to do then is touch up and adjust your levels.

Hope this helps.
Phil

Thanks for that - i'll give it a try, but whats the '****' key? lol!

"Whilst holding ****, click all the background area>"

Steve

In PS

Open new Levels layer
Select on the right hand eyedropper
Click on a "white" area of your image (try different areas until you are happy) then OK
Use the Dodge tool at about 2% highlight to clean up any remain areas

I then create another Levels layer and push the sliders all the way to the right hand side to show up any areas I have missed

I use the dodge tool set to highlights with an opacity of about 2-3% then just paint it over the background, zoom in and use a smaller brush near to the subject.

Why dont you boys get your background lighting right and save all this trouble!!!! ;) :LOL:

Why dont you boys get your background lighting right and save all this trouble!!!! ;) :LOL:

We can't be perfect all the time
pictureflash2bz.gif

so should i use a mask? (not while shooting, Janice)

I agree with Janice, spend a bit more time getting the lighting right will save a lot of time in front of the PC.

However - if you need to, try this. I use lightroom 2 which has a groovy new mask tool. Use the brush to paint a mask over the areas that are not pure white (burnt out), then adjust exposure slider (on the mask tool) to burn out these areas.

I saved a couple of images on a recent shoot I made using this technique, with one light on the background, no reflectors and two 5 year olds in a crampt bedroom studio getting the background 100% white was a challenge too far.

Back