Critique Whitley Bay and Saltburn

I find the first one is a bit of a "Formula" shot.
Rule of thirds, foreground interest etc., it's following all the guidelines and consequently a little boring.

I'm always a sucker for a good sky and for that the second one is my favourite.

"3 Saltburn Sunrise" is a good postcard shot, but generally a but "ho hum." The lighting on the foreground seems a bit flat.

I find the first one is a bit of a "Formula" shot.
Rule of thirds, foreground interest etc., it's following all the guidelines and consequently a little boring.

I'm always a sucker for a good sky and for that the second one is my favourite.

"3 Saltburn Sunrise" is a good postcard shot, but generally a but "ho hum." The lighting on the foreground seems a bit flat.

Thanks for the critique Brian, most appreciated. You're absolutely right about how I composed the first one.

In #3, the sun hadn't yet broken the horizon so there wasn't any direct light on the foreground. I was therefore mindful during PP not to make the foreground too light, and hence make it look too HDR like. I did lighten up the pier and the two carriages for the 'lift' to try and direct some attention there, but perhaps I need to look at the lighting on the foreground again.

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide some critique :)

Thanks again.

Simon.

I don't find the first boring at all.
Definitely the favourite for me.

For me it's the first one too, closely followed by the second. The first fits the 'rules' but the content still has to be there.

I agree that the lighting in the third is a bit lack lustre in the foreground but considering the epic sunrise it will struggle to compete.

I think the first one could be improved by going a little wider and lower. The middle third is quite separated from the bottom third and the rocks lead my eye off to the right of the frame but not back to the lighthouse.

I really like #2 two, nicely processed and atmospheric. Again with the leading lines..if you had gone a little to the right you could have used the line of the railing and the ramp to lead your eye in towards the lighthouse but it still works well and is a solid image.

Lovely colours on #3, I'd like to see more of the flowers in the foreground or cut them out. I think I would have been tempted to simplify the scene and compose without the cliffs on the right and had the pier a little more central but that might be down to personal preference.

Well done though, a nice set of images.

1st one is OK, although I'd like it to be a bit brighter. I know it would print very dark on paper.
2nd one I feel is a bit too cloudy personally and the fence doesn't quite do whats intended. Perhaps it goes too deep in to the shot and starts having the opposite effect.
3 - now that a proper sky although as said the foreground doesn't fully do it justice. My instinct would have been to go down and try something with that pier close by.

Back