Beginner Whitley Bay Lighthouse

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I joined the forum this week and after introducing myself I thought I'd post some of my work

Flickr

I'm pretty new to photography and was pushing myself to improve last year, however, following some personal issues I stopped and am just starting up again. A site like this is great and I've been really interested viewing the amazing images people have taken.

Rob.

I like this. I like the way that the lighthouse is in the brighter section of the frame and the surrounding area is somewhat darker. It draws your eye into the main focus of the image very nicely.

My only, slight, critique would be I find the small blob (rock, or similar) to the right of the lighthouse to be slightly distracting and I'd be inclined to clone it out.

I joined the forum this week and after introducing myself I thought I'd post some of my work

I'm pretty new to photography and was pushing myself to improve last year, however, following some personal issues I stopped and am just starting up again. A site like this is great and I've been really interested viewing the amazing images people have taken.

Rob.

Agree with you on the helpfulness of this forum very much in the same boat (y) Have some filters in the post so images of yours make me very impatient

A great way to introduce yourself to the forum, Mark. Lovely shot :)

Thanks for the comments, I am very grateful you've taken the time to respond.

Nick - I hadn't noticed the 'blob' on the image but can't take my eyes off it now :) - I'm going to have to get into Photoshop and see if I can remove it without destroying the image (which is my normal MO! ;))

Rob.

Agree with you on the helpfulness of this forum very much in the same boat (y) Have some filters in the post so images of yours make me very impatient

Yeah, I was in the same boat, I have a 0.9 Grad, 0.9 Solid and the big stopper. Love the effects they allow me to achieve. I am in danger of over using them at the moment though :)

Rob.

Nick - I hadn't noticed the 'blob' on the image but can't take my eyes off it now :) - I'm going to have to get into Photoshop and see if I can remove it without destroying the image (which is my normal MO! ;)).

Thank Rob, the 'blob' should be easy to remove in photoshop. Good luck.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images posted on here for feedback. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Nick, appreciate the welcome.

Karl - I enjoy taking pictures of the Lighthouse but it feels like every angle has already been captured, challenging trying to come up with something new.

Rob.

I like the composition of this shot. The ramp & reflection lead you nicely to the lighthouse & if your eye wanders left the railing is there to direct you back. The blob is slightly distracting but can be easily removed. I think I would definitely revisit the composition when there a bit more drama in the sky.

Nicely done!

Its good to see an early morning shot without the plethora of oranges & reds, not that I dislike those shots but this is a welcome change. I like how the long exposure has given the glass like look to the sea and some movement in the clouds and the reflection on the jetty is a nice touch. Just looked at full res on flickr and its even more impressive with excellent definition on the rocks and lighthouse. (y)

Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do like the blues in the image but would have liked a more dramatic sky. I've been really unlucky, every time I head out with my camera there are no clouds etc.

Gonna have to brave some bad weather I think to get some more interesting shots.

Rob.

Thanks for all of the comments, I really appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to viewing some of the other work on here and posting some more of my own images. Following advice, I've had a go at removing the 'blob' - What do you think?

Flickr

Rob.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Mark, BTW by removing the blob wheres me cormorants going to sit. My favourite place on earth, i never tire of seeing photos of St Marys Island.

Thanks for the welcome, Brian.

I had to google what a comorant was :) I presume you're local to Whitley Bay too?

Rob.

Thanks for the welcome, Brian.

I had to google what a comorant was :) I presume you're local to Whitley Bay too?

Rob.

Yes not far away Killy, do a lot of bird and wildlife surveys down there and took my fair shre of lighthouse photos. :)

Nice... Wildlife photography isn't something I've tried to be honest, closest I've come is a few snaps of my wife's cats ;)

Rob.

Back