Whitstable sunset

Name
Grahame
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this photo last night whilst walking along the beach.

I am still very new to this and must confess to using full automatic at times (this was one!)

I would like honest C & C please as I feel I am at the stage I need this to progress.

This is the first image I have posted so I am expecting some harsh comments.....I am ready lol.

And just before everyone tells me, I have been trying in AV and TV modes, but when I am in a rush, I seem to forget everything, hence reverting to auto mode.....but it is starting to sink in, however slowly!

Thanks,
Grahame

Whitstable.jpg

I don't think it's the best shot you could have got. If you had used Aperture priority and taken a reading from the sky, then bracketed the shots I think you might have got something a bit nicer. I'd have chosen a wider angle shot too I think (can't really tell unless you're there though). Perhaps waited for a seagull to land on a post, dropped down lower then got it in silhouette? :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that, this is what I am looking for, as it gives me ideas to try next time so thanks for your comments

I think it is well composed and the colours are absolutely fantastic.

I think the auto-exposure has done a good job here, as there is detail to be seen in the immediate foreground and the sky doesn't look over-exposed

The foreground/middle of frame both look a little bit soft however, did you shoot this handheld without a tripod?

Thanks for your comments iGiDK.
I had a monopod rather than a tripod.

Back