Who’s the best for trade in’s these days

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
hi all, as per the title, who the best online for purchasing (and perhaps trading in) on line gear these days ?

I’ve decided to have a clear out of some little used M/43 camera bodies with their respective grips (OMD EM1 MK 1 & my nearly new Panasonic DC-G9).

I always used to use MPB and tbh they were great, but over the last year I’ve had some less than stellar service from them, with them backing out of agreed trade in values and always trying to find a fault and knock the price down. On the last occasions where I wanted to sell my Fuji X-T2 and 6 lenses ( which in my honest opinion were all boardering on mint (or excellent at worst), and on receiving the package they tried to knock (nearly £400) off the whole bundle for things that I just didn’t agree with. In the end I’d had enough and asked them to return all of the items to me (which they did), and I had to then split the sell up over a number of companies including a few items on here, and not one other person disagreeed with my condition assessment and all were happy with the condition. After that I swore I’d never use MPB photographic again, and I haven’t.

I also know there’s WEX, and TBH their prices aren’t too bad, but trouble is you don’t get cash, just WEX credit (which at times I just don’t want or need).

So question is are there any other reputable and reliable online retailers that give good service don’t try and screw you over ?

Thanks in advanced.

A recent thread to this still seemed to favour mbp but a few people rated camera jungle.
My recent dealing with mpb was fine.

Thanks for that. TBH I used to love dealing with MPB, but the story above isn’t an isolated incident and over the last year I’ve had 3 potential sales that they tried to knock me down significantly. Now I’d like to think I’m an honest bloke, and there’s no point in me describing my equipment in any better condtion than it is as I know it will be checked over, so I’d like to think I’m accurate and honest with my descriptions, as I do really look after my gear well.

Maybe they’ve come full circle again ?

Thanks for that. TBH I used to love dealing with MPB, but the story above isn’t an isolated incident and over the last year I’ve had 3 potential sales that they tried to knock me down significantly. Now I’d like to think I’m an honest bloke, and there’s no point in me describing my equipment in any better condtion than it is as I know it will be checked over, so I’d like to think I’m accurate and honest with my descriptions, as I do really look after my gear well.

Maybe they’ve come full circle again ?

A few did report mpb offering less than the original quote and tbh I expect they were honest in the condition of their gear.
In some cases mpb offered more as they felt the gear was in better condition.
They agreed with me so I was happy with the price.
If I remember correctly mbp offered less than the original quotation because they claimed there was dust in the lens so the seller asked for it back as he knew it was free from dust and sold it for more elsewhere.
Most complaints in the recent thread was about the delay in mpb checking the gear and paying up.
In 2011 I bought a used Canon 100-400L IS from mpb which had a focusing issue so it went back to them for repair and I waited 2 weeks to get it back.
In hindsight I should have asked for either a refund or replacement .
I wasn't pleased forking out 800 quid for a faulty item and it made me wonder about their inspection on lenses.
I know some people shy away from ebay but I've previously bought lenses and again recently with a Canon 70-300L IS without any problems.
Asking the right questions and asking for additional information and / or photos should be no problem with an honest seller.
Besides anyone stupid enough to be dodgy will be out of pocket because they have to refund the user the sales price and original postage and return cost.
This reminds me that a couple of members on the previous thread said just wait for one of ebay £3 listing deals although PayPal will take their cut.

MPB have never given me a favourable quote, and so I have always used eBay to sell stuff - and lately only with the £1/£3 fixed selling fees.

I bought a lens for £2800 a month ago from MPB, then I got a quote for them to buy it back, I wasn't expecting great things, they offered £1905.00

I put it on eBay on a fixed £1 sale fee, sold it for £2800 - just had paypal fee which was about £70.

Makes me wonder who traded it in for £1905...

Last edited:
If you think MPB knock valuations down, try Camera Jungle! They are complete pirates.

With CJ, do you mean as in lower valuations, compared to others, when you get their quote or the contact post inspection email that disagrees with your description???

Last year, I sold my 500f4. MPB were the lowest. Significantly higher were Mifsuds and just below them Clifton. I asked MPB to reconsider, no dice. I went with Clifton in Gloucestershire as they were much closer. Had I been trading, I would have used Mifsuds.

I have had the same problem with WEX quote one thing and when they get it something completely different. I think they rely on the fact that once you've sent it you wont want it back !. I think the Ebay low listing fee is the best way to go. As long as you document the items well generally you do ok.

Just sold a 6D to MPB. Was offered a price and that’s what they paid me. I think a lot of people are just not honest about the condition of their gear. Not that they are being dishonest but just that they think it’s better than it actually is.

I’ve sold a couple of camera to them no and got the quoted price on both occasions.

I have sold stuff to MPB in the past but I was not retired then and I could post it off; it worked well. I think they rely on this quite a bit ie convenience.

With CJ, do you mean as in lower valuations, compared to others, when you get their quote or the contact post inspection email that disagrees with your description???
Post-examination price drops, which I never got from MPB. Won’t deal with CJ again. MPB are reasonable, though their service has dropped.

I part exed some equipment with MPB last year, one of the items was a Canon zoom lens i had bought new and never used, when they got back to me they said that particular lens had lots of dust inside and tried to knock money off the agreed price.

I told them to cancel the trade and they immediately offered the agreed amount.

MPB have been very slow in paying up for some time now, they've basically admitted as much in the lengthy thread in the shopping forum. I've used them fairly consistently once or twice a year pretty much since they started up, I'd like to think I've not changed in my honest assessment of my own gear, but there has certainly been a trend in them knocking down quotations once received in the past year or so.

If you're happy to risk eBay (and wait for a cheap selling day) it's very, very unlikely that you'll make less than a quote from any of the companies. Just send by tracked post and keep the receipt for a couple of months on the off chance somebody tries it on.

As far as MPB are concerned, I'm not happy with them. Had to ring twice on one item as very slow to pay. On two other items they knocked down the price so much that i refused the offer and got £150 more through ebay.

Post-examination price drops, which I never got from MPB. Won’t deal with CJ again. MPB are reasonable, though their service has dropped.

Well, FWIW I sold some gear to CJ. I stated Mint for the lenses of varying ages and Excellent for my 7D body.

I added in the notes section re boxed, manual etc. They agreed my condition statement and money in the bank 48hours later. NB looking back ~ if I had buffed up the 7D mount IMO i may have been better describing it as mint.

I surmise I would have gotten more money selling privately but that would possibly have taken that much more time and maybe more 'hassle'?

If you're happy to risk eBay

What is the risk?
I've bought and sold lenses with no problems whatsoever.
I recently bought a Canon 70-300L IS in immaculate condition for £500 and I was willing to pay up to £600, try getting it for that price from the likes of mbp.
As a buyer ask the seller question or more photos of the items, a respectable seller would be more than happy to answer them.
As a seller, you can look at a potential buyers feedback, this will give you a good idea about them.
I've been using ebay long before paypal arrived, I never had any problems paying by cheque and waiting for it to clear before the seller sent the item to me. I also did the same on here before banks introduced the faster payment service.
Yes I have read a couple of posts on here where users have had problems via ebay but I've read far more on here about unscrupulous people ripping users off.
You also have ebay protection but they tend to favour the buyer than the seller I think you have to be quite unlucky to have a bad buyer wasting your time.
As per my previous post, mbp sold me a faulty lens whearas over the years I've bought and sold 8 lenses via ebay without any problems one of which the user sent via rmsd Saturday service without any additional charge.
If you think how many transactions go through on a daily basis I expect the ones with problems are a very small percentage.

Last edited:
What is the risk?

I sold a Nikon 85mm 1.4, on day 89 or whatever it was right on the limit of any potential comeback they claimed non-delivery. To my shock had I not still had the RMSD receipt I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. During the investigation that money (£1k) was removed/frozen in my PayPal account despite it being empty, so I was effectively showing minus £1k.

I sent a lens to MPB last year. It was almost mint. After inspection they came back with a reduced price claiming it had particles inside the lens. Having inspected the lens myself before posting it to them I was 100% sure that this wasn't the case so I asked them to send it back. I inspected the lens after receiving it and still couldn't see any particles inside the lens. I decided to send it to main manufacturer for cleaning and the lens was sent back to me saying there was nothing wrong with the lens and doesn't need any cleaning.

As mentioned above, I think they rely on people just accepting the new value because they have already sent their gear to them.

I sent a lens to MPB last year. It was almost mint. After inspection they came back with a reduced price claiming it had particles inside the lens. Having inspected the lens myself before posting it to them I was 100% sure that this wasn't the case so I asked them to send it back. I inspected the lens after receiving it and still couldn't see any particles inside the lens. I decided to send it to main manufacturer for cleaning and the lens was sent back to me saying there was nothing wrong with the lens and doesn't need any cleaning.

As mentioned above, I think they rely on people just accepting the new value because they have already sent their gear to them.
That's very true of most "buyers". The exception, in my experience, being Ffordes. True, their outright purchase prices are not as good as some of the original offers from the likes of MPB, etc, but if you let them handle it as a commission sale and are prepared to what a while, then they offer a very good deal. And they are honest.

Use Gumtree app on your phone it couldn't be easier it takes 5 minutes and its free. My record on the quickest sale was on a sony nex5. I had the money in my hand in less than an hour of posting the listing. The likes of MPB should be last resort you're just throwing good money away. Facebook marketplace is also very good to sell on. You just join a few local groups to post in.

Last edited:
Use Gumtree app on your phone it couldn't be easier it takes 5 minutes and its free. My record on the quickest sale was on a sony nex5. I had the money in my hand in less than an hour of posting the listing. The likes of MPB should be last resort you're just throwing good money away. Facebook marketplace is also very good to sell on. You just join a few local groups to post in.

I don't know about the UK GT, but the Irish one is full of dodgy chancers. There's been all sorts of scams through the years, car thieves in particular arranging meet us in iffy places. Just look up 'Gumtree criminials' - if you use your head and can sniff out any dangers, then it can be fine I have used it myself. Luckily there's a much more reliable sale site here called Adverts.ie, I have over 50 sales/purchases through there, not had one problem. You just have to use your head, if someone asks to meet down a dark alley at 2am maybe it's not worth that £50 saving :D

MPB have never given me a favourable quote, and so I have always used eBay to sell stuff - and lately only with the £1/£3 fixed selling fees.

I bought a lens for £2800 a month ago from MPB, then I got a quote for them to buy it back, I wasn't expecting great things, they offered £1905.00

I put it on eBay on a fixed £1 sale fee, sold it for £2800 - just had paypal fee which was about £70.

Makes me wonder who traded it in for £1905...

With the greatest of respect, this is just normal business. MPB (or any of the others) sell lens on with a warranty having checked it, photo'd it, listed it. They have premises to pay for, staff to pay, tax, insurance etc... and after all that, they'll also hope to make a little profit.

Their value comes from making it easy for their customers to sell their gear. You do not have to deal with ebay non-payers, ebay last minute charge backers, Gumtree no-show, the 'what's your best price brigade', tyre kickers and all of the other things that make selling anything privately both risky and a pain in the arse. It should never come as a surprise that you can sell for substantially more privately.

I get that Graham, and that's the reason why perhaps the likes of MPB aren't going to necessarily give you the very best trade in price. The offset to that is that usually (well up until the last few months), its a very easy transaction and makes selling your unwanted gear painless (that's what you typically get for getting maybe slightly less from MPB than say others that don't for example pay postage etc).

My problem is when companies like MPB seem to be "baiting" you to send them your gear with claims of reasonable trade in figures, then when they get it try and drive the price down further. It's been mentioned on here (by me and a couple of others), that sometimes their claims that something is not as described (i.e. dust in the lens etc), just aren't warranted, and it does make me wonder if they were ever prepared at times to give the price they offered, and just relied on the fact that most people will reluctantly accept the revised offer to save the bother of getting it all back and relisting it or selling it elsewhere? Its a worrying trait.

It's a real shame as up until the last few transactions, I wouldn't go anywhere else (even if I could have got a little more elsewhere), and had been using them for over 7 years (totally trouble free) and always recommended them to friends and colleagues.

I get that Graham, and that's the reason why perhaps the likes of MPB aren't going to necessarily give you the very best trade in price. The offset to that is that usually (well up until the last few months), its a very easy transaction and makes selling your unwanted gear painless (that's what you typically get for getting maybe slightly less from MPB than say others that don't for example pay postage etc).

My problem is when companies like MPB seem to be "baiting" you to send them your gear with claims of reasonable trade in figures, then when they get it try and drive the price down further. It's been mentioned on here (by me and a couple of others), that sometimes their claims that something is not as described (i.e. dust in the lens etc), just aren't warranted, and it does make me wonder if they were ever prepared at times to give the price they offered, and just relied on the fact that most people will reluctantly accept the revised offer to save the bother of getting it all back and relisting it or selling it elsewhere? Its a worrying trait.

It's a real shame as up until the last few transactions, I wouldn't go anywhere else (even if I could have got a little more elsewhere), and had been using them for over 7 years (totally trouble free) and always recommended them to friends and colleagues.

Yep, that's a shame if things are heading that way. It's a while since I've sold anything to them and they always used to be great. Hopefully a temporary blip.

I sent a lens to MPB last year. It was almost mint. After inspection they came back with a reduced price claiming it had particles inside the lens. Having inspected the lens myself before posting it to them I was 100% sure that this wasn't the case so I asked them to send it back.QUOTE]

Out of curiosity who paid for the return postage?
I may be about to send a few items off to them hence the question...

Last edited:
They ve sent back at no extra cost. I m sure that this is how they operate (just like other retailers) they collect and return for free

I recently traded some kit in at my local LCE, their offer was over 10% less than WEX had offered by email. I went with it because I couldn't be sure that WEX would honour that price, I was able to walk into the shop with my old kit and walk out with new kit, but most importantly it is good to have a proper local camera shop, so it is worth supporting them!

FWIW

There are AFAIK only MPB and Camera Jungle that will buy outright but also some shops will sell on a commission basis........other shops will also(only?) entertain part ex deals.

From what I have over the years experienced and heard "we" all have had good and not so good experiences. For me I have had mixed experiences with trade in/part ex and that has soured my opinion of Park but as my brother had nothing but good dealings with Camera Jungle I used them this time for my very rare times when I sell any gear.

FWIW

There are AFAIK only MPB and Camera Jungle that will buy outright but also some shops will sell on a commission basis........other shops will also(only?) entertain part ex deals.

From what I have over the years experienced and heard "we" all have had good and not so good experiences. For me I have had mixed experiences with trade in/part ex and that has soured my opinion of Park but as my brother had nothing but good dealings with Camera Jungle I used them this time for my very rare times when I sell any gear.
Ffordes will buy outright, but certainly not at the best price - normally. Always worth a call, though.

Back