Who is your favourite landscape photographer?

For me probably Joe Cornish............... but I am getting tired of all over processed HDR, lifted shadow rubbish that we're force fed in the photography world.
Some of the guys who use large format produce some good looking natural stuff though.

As well as people like Charlie Waite and a couple of other well known names, there's so many amateurs at a pro level such as Lee Acaster, Mark Littlejohn (although pro now I believe), Scott Robertson, Damian Ward, John Finney (maybe semi pro) and Jeremy Barrett to name a few. I feel I'm doing a disservice to leave out so many others

Just had a quick look at the Dave Ward website, Excellent stuff

For me it's Mark Littlejohn or Lee Acaster.

I find both of them very inspiring and think they produce some wonderful natural looking stuff.

Fay Godwin.

As well as people like Charlie Waite and a couple of other well known names, there's so many amateurs at a pro level such as Lee Acaster, Mark Littlejohn (although pro now I believe), Scott Robertson, Damian Ward, John Finney (maybe semi pro) and Jeremy Barrett to name a few. I feel I'm doing a disservice to leave out so many others
Scott Robertson is my favourite, his stuff is outstanding , makes some of the "pros" look a little bit silly :)

Elia Locardi puts out some great travel images. I like his style too.

http://www.elialocardi.com/Galleries/Landscapes-Nature-Atmosphere/

His images tend to look processed to my eye.

So while visually they are attractive most tend to fail my 'wall test' which is "would I pay to put one on my wall?". I think his urban shots and landscapes shots with buildings or villages tend to look better simply because the processing applied tends to work better than the 'plain' landscapes.

Last edited:
His images tend to look processed to my eye.

So while visually they are attractive most tend to fail my 'wall test' which is "would I pay to put one on my wall?". I think his urban shots and landscapes shots with buildings or villages tend to look better simply because the processing applied tends to work better than the 'plain' landscapes.

I'll take that. Bar Ian Cameron and Colin prior most of the names so far edge towards the hyper real and are biased towards the "dark and overly vivid" end of the spectrum. An increasingly modern trend and not one I'm personally keen on.

Elia Locardi's best is his travel/urban and some of his Rome work is breathtaking.

I'll take that. Bar Ian Cameron and Colin prior most of the names so far edge towards the hyper real and are biased towards the "dark and overly vivid" end of the spectrum. An increasingly modern trend and not one I'm personally keen on.

Elia Locardi's best is his travel/urban and some of his Rome work is breathtaking.
In that case please check out Scott robertsons stuff very very good , he relies on light rather than photoshop sliders

For me personally David Ward, his work is superb.

Wynne Bullock's stark tree and Peter Dombrovskis' giant kelp and myrtle grove photographs I love especially.

I also really like John Robinson, Mark Littlejohn, Russ Barnes, Alex Burke and David Baker to name a few.

Alister Benn is worth taking a look at and besides the portfolios his website has a wealth of information about seascapes and exposure blending.

http://alisterbenn.com/portfolio/scotland/

They're good but they all have that hyper real slightly too dark to them that so many think is good. Ian Cameron and Colin Prior still stand out as producing better images.

Even our own landscapers like @stumeech @LongLensPhotography @Neil Burnell etc stand out as having great looking landscapes.

Last edited:
This is an excellent thread, it's given me a lot of names to check out, I'm another Ian Cameron fan I bought one of his books some years ago, another name that springs to mind is John Blakemore for his wonderful black and white images.

Reactions: ST4
I am from Middle East, and i was lucky and honoured to meet Ian Cameron personally in Scotland and took a 1-to-1 workshop with him, he didn't give me much of tips because i was good enough, just little guides and i was ready, and in one day i was able to take my best shots from Scotland because he took me to the locations and i didn't waste time, i was contacting him time to time but i stopped since about 2 years ago, hope he is still alive and he still remember me, i was in Scotland in 2007, and i was joking with him that he still using film, i ended up to buy film in 2009 even i didn't use it seriously much yet.

My favorite landscape photographer was and still Marc Adamus, but i got onto some photographers based in USA/Canada and they have blowing mind breathtaking photos from USA mostly PNW and PSW, because of them i am planning to travel to USA again since my last travel to there in 2009 but in NYC and LA for non landscapes, this time if i will travel i will use all my skills and my best gear to do as they did or closer if not better, i have full set of gear so i don't lack anything except the luck and the location guide and maybe the right time if i travel at best time, and hope one day if i get more money to travel then i have my name as a travel/landscape photographer as well.

They're good but they all have that hyper real slightly too dark to them that so many think is good. Ian Cameron and Colin Prior still stand out as producing better images.

Even our own landscapers like @stumeech @LongLensPhotography @Neil Burnell etc stand out as having great looking landscapes.
Cheers for the shout out, Steve.

I know what you mean about the slightly dark look at the moment, I think it's in with a lot of people. They are very fine images, so I can't take that away from those who shoot them at all, and if you are shooting more as a high end amateur / semi professional then you can get away with shooting more for yourself with a slightly arty look than the nice bright well lit type.

I personally like the nice bright well lit type, that's why I shoot them myself - I associate dark with being at work! I've tried processing shots with a darker look to them, but feel I keep copying others so best to stick to your own style.

As for my own favourites? I've always loved David Noton's work (his is the first pro's work I looked at and probably not a coincidence I go for nice brightly lit work like a lot of his is) and of the newer pro generation I think Adam Burton, Mark Bauer and Andy Farrer are all excellent.

Of the very talented part time crowd, I would definitely agree about Lee Acaster (his work is always outstanding) and Mark Littlejohn, to mention just two.

Last edited:
Cheers for the shout out, Steve.

I know what you mean about the slightly dark look at the moment, I think it's in with a lot of people. They are very fine images, so I can't take that away from those who shoot them at all, and if you are shooting more as a high end amateur / semi professional then you can get away with shooting more for yourself with a slightly arty look than the nice bright well lit type.

I personally like the nice bright well lit type, that's why I shoot them myself - I associate dark with being at work! I've tried processing shots with a darker look to them, but feel I keep copying others so best to stick to your own style.

As for my own favourites? I've always loved David Noton's work (his is the first pro's work I looked at and probably not a coincidence I go for nice brightly lit work like a lot of his is) and of the newer pro generation I think Adam Burton, Mark Bauer and Andy Farrer are all excellent.

Of the very talented part time crowd, I would definitely agree about Lee Acaster (his work is always outstanding) and Mark Littlejohn, to mention just two.

I like the nice, bright, well lit look myself.

This emphasis on darkness as it somehow conveys mood is often misjudged. It's a trend I just don't like and a look I don't care for.

The more I look at Ian Camerons images the more I realise that I hate this dark style we now see.

I'll continue to process as I've been doing ;)

I like the nice, bright, well lit look myself.

This emphasis on darkness as it somehow conveys mood is often misjudged. It's a trend I just don't like and a look I don't care for.

The more I look at Ian Camerons images the more I realise that I hate this dark style we now see.

I'll continue to process as I've been doing ;)

I'm sure it'll be a phase, like all 'new' styles of landscape photography - remember 5-6 years ago when everything was 10 stop, square and B&W? Don't see nearly as much of that now.

Reactions: ST4
Back