Who killed Jack Daw

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Watched over by his loved ones. Jack's last resting place by a Norfolk field.

Pentax K110D Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 manual focus. PP by Gimp.

5797619071_717b9433d0_b.jpg

A good graphic image and more so because of the B&W treatment but on a more serious note are such snares actually legal in the UK??? If not IMO that should be reported to the RSPB (or whoever oversees such matters)!

Edit - this got me Googling and so far it seems that setting snares for birds is illegal but allowed (limited methods???) for pest species on some lands such as rabbits & squirrels. The snare you show being so high off the ground does seem as if it could only have been for a bird!

Last edited:
It is indeed an interesting image, even if to highlight the use of snares.

Maybe it was a spring snare, now unloaded. Seems cruel whatever the legalities.

Andy

A good graphic image and more so because of the B&W treatment but on a more serious note are such snares actually legal in the UK??? If not IMO that should be reported to the RSPB (or whoever oversees such matters)!

Edit - this got me Googling and so far it seems that setting snares for birds is illegal but allowed (limited methods???) for pest species on some lands such as rabbits & squirrels. The snare you show being so high off the ground does seem as if it could only have been for a bird!

snaring birds is illegal (as well as being virtually impossible) but that aint a snare - what's happened here is somes shot the bird then tied it up arround the edge of the feild. (which some landowners do to deter other birds - tho personally i think the vdeterent properties are an oldwives tale)

for the record ground snares can be used to take animals that arent protected by the wildlife and countryside act (e.g foxes, rabbits etc) so long as reasonable care is taken not to catch non target species (so it isnt legal for instance to set them at waist height with the intention of btaking deer)

Jackdaws are on the general licence and thus can be controlled by humane means, and with good cause, by the landowner or their agents (or anyone acting with their permission) - however 'humane means' for birds is basically either shooting or larsen trapping.

Last edited:
A stark image which reminded me of the Gamekeepers Gibbets I used to see in the countryside years ago

Big soft moose is correct, this was not a snare, but a warning to other crows. Indeed, one of many such warnings alongside this field. Here was another photo taken in the same field, of a carrion crow:

5800670530_00c23237cf_b.jpg

I was just about to say that it isn't a snare, but it's already been said!
There are lots of things like this being done. Moles are regularly killed and hung up on barbed wire as they are paid per mole and it is proof to the farmer what the mole-killer(?) has caught. But yeah, I guess this works better than a scare-crow.

It's a good graphic shot you have here and the B&W works really well.

Both superbly moving images! Cracking moody and atmospheric black and whites!

Loving the background fields too!

I must add a regular site in fields around my way... and it works.

both well captured.... personally I'd lighten up the darker areas on the birds a bit, to bring out some feather detail......

Thanks for the added insight and background....as for whether it is a deterent I do wonder???

FWIW there are folk that put plastic Herons by their ponds thinking that will deter the real thing but I did read that yes Herons are very territorial but not 100% when it comes to a food source so such plastic ones are more likely to attract a real one than not :LOL:

Box Brownie said:
Thanks for the added insight and background....as for whether it is a deterent I do wonder???

FWIW there are folk that put plastic Herons by their ponds thinking that will deter the real thing but I did read that yes Herons are very territorial but not 100% when it comes to a food source so such plastic ones are more likely to attract a real one than not :LOL:

I think the fact that the crow is dead is a deterrent? Maybe not. Crows are territorial and will go for each other and that is how they are caught in Larsen traps.

Very interesting and graphic photograph Paul.
Liking it very much sir (y)
I've been planning a similar end to the wretched squirrels raiding my bird feeders but expect I wouldn't have enough sticks or garden :)
John

Back