Who uses a monopod & why

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a monopod but don't really use it, I use a 70-200mm f2.8L is, with sometimes a 2x on it. Mainly use it for Motorsport & some football.

I would like to know who uses a monopod and why they do. I am thinking maybe use the monopod and turn off the is ?

Would be interested to hear any views on this

Col

Thinking of buying one myself. Be interested what people say

It's just easier than extended hand-holding - especially at a circuit event.

Also, makes pannning shots a bit easier too.(y)

Must admit, I use mine more as a walking stick......:LOL:

Useful for holding camera aloft (on timer) when taking photos of static items, for example static planes it gives a better angle than just taking a photo at head height. Also handy for carrying camera, as you can walk with monopod leaning on your shoulder!

Only use my monopod with my 500. More convenient than a tripod if you need to move around a bit. More to support the weight. I will turn the IS off if the shutter speed is high enough anyway as I think that sometimes it can hinder as much as help. For the smaller lenses 300, 70-200 I just hand hold.

It's just easier than extended hand-holding - especially at a circuit event.

Also, makes pannning shots a bit easier too.(y)

Must admit, I use mine more as a walking stick......:LOL:

+ 1 :D

I am serious. Have used it quite often for that. Can't put your camera on a walking pole.

Well apart from using it to lean on rising from kneeling position, and as a walking stick , there are times when I use mine to take the weight of the 50-500 by using a belt around my waist with a leather sleeve attached that the monopd end can sit in gives me almost as much freedom as handheld without the weight, so use mine quite a bit.

Only use my monopod with my 500. More convenient than a tripod if you need to move around a bit. More to support the weight. I will turn the IS off if the shutter speed is high enough anyway as I think that sometimes it can hinder as much as help. For the smaller lenses 300, 70-200 I just hand hold.

:plus1:

Only need one for big primes....400 f2.8, 500 f4 etc anything less & you look like a bit of a :muted:.I've been known to shoot hand held @ 500th with a 500 f4 while balancing on a wheelie bin althoe I don't reccomend this:D

Find it invaluable for static shots I've done for advertising, shopkeepers outside their shops, inside their shops at lower shutter speeds etc. If you pixel peep and compare shots handheld to monopod supported there is a difference - and I'm not some doddery old chap (yet :) ).

I use mine for bird in the bush type shots. Sometimes I use it all folded up and resting on my ample belly...just gives that extra steady hand when sometimes light is not so good and want to keep ISO down.

I also used it for overhead shots, held my 40D aloft for this pic:

21-7-2012 Service at the Fellowship Memorial by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Not the best of shots, but I couldn't get near and an old family friend was VERY pleased to get this pic with the memorial in shot.

The Monopod definitely has a place. I keep it in the car...

I have a monopod but don't really use it, I use a 70-200mm f2.8L is, with sometimes a 2x on it. Mainly use it for Motorsport & some football.

I would like to know who uses a monopod and why they do. I am thinking maybe use the monopod and turn off the is ?

Would be interested to hear any views on this

Col
I use mine at local league football, really handy makes it easier not having to bear the weight of camera & long lens for 90 minutes.

I am serious. Have used it quite often for that. Can't put your camera on a walking pole.

You need one of these then,

[URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DOUXSA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1YKVK1C2SDZXT2HFRFTM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317823447&pf_rd_i=468294"/URL]

You need one of these then,

[URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DOUXSA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1YKVK1C2SDZXT2HFRFTM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317823447&pf_rd_i=468294"/URL]

Yes, just lost one of those Walking stick n Pods.
I often hand hold a 400/5.6 and a monopod is useful for getting steadier shots.
Also, you can use them at an angle (dont scre into the camera/lens] just resting lens on the pole and pole on grouind at 45Degrees you can get some support for low level pics - in may case of insects.
One further thing is that with the Pod attached and hand-hoilding, the Pod acts as a sort of "Keel" and seems to stabilise your arm .. . anyone else noticed this ??
Jon

I've known a few people who use them for wildlife/bird photography with big lenses in South Africa. A lot more portable than a tripod, and more manageable in a vehicle.

I use one with long telephotos up to 800mm, with converters. Lens straight onto monopod, no head.

Pros
1) Lighter than a tripod
2) Quicker to get into position, better in a crowded situation
3) You can be more mobile
4) Packs in hand luggage
5) Lens lies over my shoulders, monopod held closed in right hand to keep stable
6) Can be used to fend off dogs, or dig car out of snow - have done both

Cons
1) Not quite as good as a tripod
2) Difficult when windy

You need good technique, I find I am quite stable when I am crouched and the monopod is not fully extended. I use a tripod when I'm working near a vehicle, when I am going to be in the same place for a long time, or if there is a need to get down really low. Any time I'm doing a lot of walking from place to place, hoping for some fast shots, or stalking a bird, I always take the monopod. I used a Manfrotto 680b for a while which was tough as nails and amazing value, but now I use a Gitzo 5561T, which whilst expensive is very very sturdy, and packs down very very small.

I use it for extended shooting periods with longer lenses to hold the weight, I first got it when I only had the 70-200 2.8IS and would feel a prat using it with that now but back then it felt heavy and came in usefull when shooting kids football all day.

It does also provider a more steady hold than hand holding when your shutter speeds are lower than you would ideally like.

I use mine at times but would be interested to hear which sort of head everyone uses.

Di

No head, for my use it's counterproductive, adding the weight I would rather not be carrying. I simply have a Wimberley clamp on the top.

I did experiment with a Manfrotto 234, but it was far too feeble for my application. The best head I have seen is made by ACRATECH and appears not be sold in the UK and costs a bomb. My feeling is that if you want what a head can give you, you might as well be carrying a tripod around.

A monopod was one of the first accessories I got when I was shooting at conferences - you never have enough light, so that extra stability really helps. I also use it a lot when shoot motorsport stills and video - it's especially useful when out at comp-safaris, when I'll cover probably about 10miles in the day over rough terrain.

Use mine with a 300 when shooting football, easy to sling it over your shoulder whilst swapping body. Wont personally be using it on a 70-200..

I use a monopod for motorsport... but not with my 70-200, thats strictly handheld.

Its used with 300mm and greater focal lengths.

I've got a Manfrotto with a tilt quick release head, had it for years, its invaluable.

I use a monopod. I've only got one back and its got to last me another 50 years, so taking care of it now seems sensible.

Whilst I'm not scoring macho points for not carrying a huge rucksack laden with kit I'll never need at a motorsport event and two bodies, I'm the one in reasonable condition by the end of a long weekend.

Blimey, yes, dump the bloody rucksack!

Sitting in a traffic jam trying to get out of BSB Donington the other weekend I was amazed to see just how many people hang a heavy camera/lens combo around their neck on the strap too.

If anything is going to give you back pain, its that.

Put it over your shoulder or stick it back in the bloody rucksack you all seem to insist on carrying!

I use one and largely for the same reasons as....

Pros
1) Lighter than a tripod
2) Quicker to get into position, better in a crowded situation
3) You can be more mobile

And just because it's just easier than a tripod. Not as good but the ease of use and portability outweigh the cons, by a long way IMO. There's a reason why you see so many pro's using them after all!

I use mine for wildlife ( Deer) and motorsports.
It makes supporting a 7D+100-400 a lot easier.
I use it with a ball head set quite loose so the pod is just a support and I can move the camera very easily,it does not replace a tripod but rather is a more portable addition to one.

Back