Who uses an iPad for their PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
i've uppercased 'photography business' as i'm interested in only those who solely work as photographers...

do you really use an ipad? if so - how do you use it? and is it really not a waste of time as you have to transfer your edited folders into iTunes then sync them to your iPad (which could take a long time depending on amount of photos)

I'm sure most people just use online viewing gallery for clients..

i'm just interested to know as i've been offered an iPad for xmas and tho i do not work full time as a photog.. i have had commissions now and then and would the iPad help in some ways (i do love how it displays those default photos that come with it but they might be all professionally edited photos)

thanks

You can get a camera connection kit which allows you to directly import your photos from a camera (via USB or SD card) rather than using a computer and iTunes.

I setup galleries in iphto anyway, so no time to sync across. I have used the ipad twice for clients, but generally use the laptop - as customers will sometimes want to see an image converted to black and white. Plus you can easily delete items from gallery to whittle down selection.

iPads aren't the only tablets out there..

some even let you do what you want without having to use ****** iTunes

sorry, being sarcastic. But iTunes is horribly restrictive

lol! im with you on this one, im getting ****** off with Apple and their whole " brainwashing propaganda" it seems nowaays if a gadget doesnt start with an " i " its useless!!.

lol! im with you on this one, im getting ****** off with Apple and their whole " brainwashing propaganda" it seems nowaays if a gadget doesnt start with an " i " its useless!!.

iAgree

with products like iPhones and iPads, you kind of get the feeling Apple are loaning them to the user, rather letting them own them and use them AS THEY WANT

I bought one for a specific job.. shooting table shots at a large function.

We use an app and shoot wirelessly from the camera to the iPad, then show the images to clients. It paid for itself the first time we used it.

I've also used it to display portfolio images to clients.

When I bought it I purchased to cheapest model as I genuinely thought that would be used for the one event.

I now wish I'd bought the top of the range 3G version as it rarely leaves my side and I use it for organising my life and even reading books when I'm away in hotels.

I too hate iTunes and yes there are other options out there now. However, as the Sunday Times pointed out in it's group test two weeks ago, whilst it is the most expensive offering, it's also the best and well worth the extra price.

We use an app and shoot wirelessly from the camera to the iPad, then show the images to clients. It paid for itself the first time we used it.

When I bought it I purchased to cheapest model as I genuinely thought that would be used for the one event.

I now wish I'd bought the top of the range 3G version as it rarely leaves my side and I use it for organising my life and even reading books when I'm away in hotels.

I too hate iTunes and yes there are other options out there now. However, as the Sunday Times pointed out in it's group test two weeks ago, whilst it is the most expensive offering, it's also the best and well worth the extra price.

Isn't the Samsung Galaxy Tab the most expensive out there now? Which IMO is madness if they want to be seen as a viable competitor. They should have come in cheaper than the iPads, not more expensive.

I've just bit the bullet and buying one. I've been offered a new one at a stupidly low price. Can you please expand a little on the App you use. Sometimes I shoot tethered to my laptop just to check the results on a larger screen and was wondering if I can do the same with the iPad.

Also, after rugby we usually have about an hour in the clubhouse after the match. Can I load selective shots via the camera connector/usb into the iPad for browsing/displaying?

The app I use is called Shutter Snitch.

You'll need a wireless unit for your camera, or it integrates very well (so I'm told) with the EyeFi card.

Can I load selective shots via the camera connector/usb into the iPad for browsing/displaying?

I *think* so. I purchased the usb camera connector with the iPad but I've not used it. That surely must be what it's for though, and the salesman told that's what I'd need !

LOL i know... hence why i'm asking if there are any pro photogs out there genuinely using an iPad *** really, i can't see the real use of ipads....tho i'm tempted to get one but it's more to show off and stuff..

I've just bit the bullet and buying one. I've been offered a new one at a stupidly low price. Can you please expand a little on the App you use. Sometimes I shoot tethered to my laptop just to check the results on a larger screen and was wondering if I can do the same with the iPad.

Also, after rugby we usually have about an hour in the clubhouse after the match. Can I load selective shots via the camera connector/usb into the iPad for browsing/displaying?

just get a cheap portable dvd player that has an ' video in' connection and if your camera has one - you can use it. i saw a video of a pro photog doing it this way.. or even a small 7 inch tft screen that you can get from ebay.

i was gonna copy this but my dvd player doesn't have a video in port :(

thanks for all the input. i might still get one (to watch movies on when i travel)... resale value should hopefully stay high even if the new one gets announced next year.

just get a cheap portable dvd player that has an ' video in' connection and if your camera has one - you can use it. i saw a video of a pro photog doing it this way.. or even a small 7 inch tft screen that you can get from ebay.

We did this 3 years ago before iPad and was horrendous.

With a video connection you get the same 'quality' and size of image as displayed on the back of your camera, enlarged to the size of the dvd screen. It looks truly awefull.

It's horses for courses, but it you're a pro and want to impress with your professionalism AND the quality of your images then you need to show the images in the best possible way.

For mobile purposes, currently that's either an iPad or possibly a very good quality laptop screen.

It always appears to me that iTunes is a shopping app primarily, with the other functions added in as an after thought, although once you've got your head around the functionality and minset it's not too bad.

I'd love to be able to copy to/from a device without itunes & jailbreaking.

We did this 3 years ago before iPad and was horrendous.

With a video connection you get the same 'quality' and size of image as displayed on the back of your camera, enlarged to the size of the dvd screen. It looks truly awefull.

It's horses for courses, but it you're a pro and want to impress with your professionalism AND the quality of your images then you need to show the images in the best possible way.

For mobile purposes, currently that's either an iPad or possibly a very good quality laptop screen.

thanks for letting me know. good thing i didn't decide to buy another portable dvd player then for this purpose...

and you're right... and unfortunately, apple seems to be the only one with an excellent screen for displaying images... (i've not seen a pc laptop that can match macbook pro's or even their imac range screens on monitors)

iTunes is bloated! :(
and you can't update firmware on your iphone or ipad without upgrading your iTunes first

And the issue with that???

I can only speak for me, but I use handbrake to copy DVDs on there easily, obviously use various apps and music too. Son watches stuff on there, wife emails and uses web (me too), I play a few games....

In theory it would be great to have LR but a device that size could not cope with that, but I have the laptop for 'serious stuff'. Itunes for me is fine - i manage apps on it, make playlists... cant think of anything i would like to do but cant.

LOL i know... hence why i'm asking if there are any pro photogs out there genuinely using an iPad *** really, i can't see the real use of ipads....tho i'm tempted to get one but it's more to show off and stuff..

Yep.

Every client meeting. I use it for showing photos there and then. Easier than a laptop, great screen and also far better viewing angles. I can pull up a wedding for a specific venue, time of year, whatever. Small. Light. Compact.

I also run Bento on it and have a bespoke form that I complete as the meeting progresses with info specific to each wedding. That then syncs up with Bento on my main Mac when I'm home and means I have details with me wherever I am.

Without doubt the best non-camera equipment purchase of 2010 for me.

Well, I'm not really sure if this is a request for information or a bash Apple thread.

Assuming we're not just sitting around saying "why don't you charge less for stuff?" YES, I absolutely use it as a business tool.

There are the obvious uses like showing work to clients and more importantly random people I meet. I've just done a very technical time lapse/video/fusion shoot for a client and I'll be presenting it to her on Friday on my iPad (render in iMovie, share to iTunes, sync - yes it's bloatware and no it's not as good as Final Cut Pro/Avid/Vegas/whatever but it all hangs together jolly nicely).

I keep a portfolio on there and actually buying an iPad and a portfolio app compares very favourably with buying a printed portfolio. Especially 3 months down the line when you want to change the pics.

I can use Shutter Snitch to shoot directly to iPad (details) and Phase and Hasselblad both have tether apps either out or very nearly there.

Then there are less obvious uses.

Strobox for lighting setups. Goodreader to have copies of contracts and manuals handy. Rowmote to control my Mac in the gallery (just watch people's faces). A to Z and Tube maps just in case (try opening a laptop on the tube).

Moodboard pro for mood board. Adobe Ideas for sketching diagrams.

Style.com app (shots from lots of recent fashion shows), Runway magazine and Vogue (click on the cover to see behind the scenes of a shoot with Mario Testino...).

TV shows and instructional DVDs for train journeys or wait time.

And of course, Angry Birds,

I could do a lot of this on a MacBook. But an iPad is much easier to carry and use. And the battery never runs down ever.

^^ thanks for that.. i might have to contact you both if/when i get my ipad for info and apps to use..

Well, I'm not really sure if this is a request for information or a bash Apple thread.

Assuming we're not just sitting around saying "why don't you charge less for stuff?" YES, I absolutely use it as a business tool.

There are the obvious uses like showing work to clients and more importantly random people I meet. I've just done a very technical time lapse/video/fusion shoot for a client and I'll be presenting it to her on Friday on my iPad (render in iMovie, share to iTunes, sync - yes it's bloatware and no it's not as good as Final Cut Pro/Avid/Vegas/whatever but it all hangs together jolly nicely).

I keep a portfolio on there and actually buying an iPad and a portfolio app compares very favourably with buying a printed portfolio. Especially 3 months down the line when you want to change the pics.

I can use Shutter Snitch to shoot directly to iPad (details) and Phase and Hasselblad both have tether apps either out or very nearly there.

Then there are less obvious uses.

Strobox for lighting setups. Goodreader to have copies of contracts and manuals handy. Rowmote to control my Mac in the gallery (just watch people's faces). A to Z and Tube maps just in case (try opening a laptop on the tube).

Moodboard pro for mood board. Adobe Ideas for sketching diagrams.

Style.com app (shots from lots of recent fashion shows), Runway magazine and Vogue (click on the cover to see behind the scenes of a shoot with Mario Testino...).

TV shows and instructional DVDs for train journeys or wait time.

And of course, Angry Birds,

I could do a lot of this on a MacBook. But an iPad is much easier to carry and use. And the battery never runs down ever.

Now I want one :).

Isn't there supposed to be a little sale on tomorrow?! :)

Im still pretty new to photography but im quite surprised by people using ipads, i would of thought netbooks would be a lot more popular than an ipad to show customers photos.
A lot more configurable and some of them are so light and small they arent going to be any less convenient, plus a lot of them are half the price of an ipad.

Im still pretty new to photography but im quite surprised by people using ipads, i would of thought netbooks would be a lot more popular than an ipad to show customers photos.
A lot more configurable and some of them are so light and small they arent going to be any less convenient, plus a lot of them are half the price of an ipad.

Display on an iPad is far superior to any of the netbooks, so I'm lead to believe.

Steve

You're missing one of the key points of the iPad.

It's made by Apple.

That's not a flippant point - it means a whole load of things:

1. It works with OS X beautifully - lots of photographers use Macs and the workflow is sweet
  2. It has a massive number of apps written for it - there are only 2 ways to buy Vogue in the UK. paper or iPad
  3. It's gorgeous - do not underestimate how important this is if you are showing people
  4. It's expensive (this time in a good way) - people often see pics on it and say "oh, busines smust be good".
  5. There are a bunch of accessories made for it - iPad + custom leather dsitressed book binding looks so much better than netbook + carrier bag
  6. The screen is outstanding
  7. It's a closed system - yes you can configure netbooks and do more with them - but do something wrong and you run the risk of slowing it or corrupting something or stopping something working. Unless you jailbreak it, it's very hard to put s/w on an iPad that interferes with its running

At the end of the day, £500 ain't a lot of money for all the options an iPad offers me. If a netbook cost half price and the iPad sold me a couple more prints or got me one more booking it has more than paid for itself.

You're missing one of the key points of the iPad.

It's made by Apple.

That's not a flippant point - it means a whole load of things:

1. It works with OS X beautifully - lots of photographers use Macs and the workflow is sweet
  2. It has a massive number of apps written for it - there are only 2 ways to buy Vogue in the UK. paper or iPad
  3. It's gorgeous - do not underestimate how important this is if you are showing people
  4. It's expensive (this time in a good way) - people often see pics on it and say "oh, busines smust be good".
  5. There are a bunch of accessories made for it - iPad + custom leather dsitressed book binding looks so much better than netbook + carrier bag
  6. The screen is outstanding
  7. It's a closed system - yes you can configure netbooks and do more with them - but do something wrong and you run the risk of slowing it or corrupting something or stopping something working. Unless you jailbreak it, it's very hard to put s/w on an iPad that interferes with its running

At the end of the day, £500 ain't a lot of money for all the options an iPad offers me. If a netbook cost half price and the iPad sold me a couple more prints or got me one more booking it has more than paid for itself.

When you put it like that it makes a lot of sense, i guess from a personal point of view i think why spend double the money on something that had half the capabilities but of course for a business its more to do with the right tool for the job. Thinking about it points 4 and 5 are probably the most iportant when it comes to making the right impression to the client.

I too use mine for showing images to clients, the display is stunning and it never fails to impress people. It's much more portable than a laptop (or even a netbook) so give plenty of opportunities to casually show images when out and about, which can often lead to more bookings. The only problem I've had with mine is that my wife likes using it so much thatwe had to buy a second one! I'd hate to be without it now, it's a very useful tool.

Now I want one :).

Isn't there supposed to be a little sale on tomorrow?! :)

yeah - i'm checking the website tonight at midnight to see what the discount will be. apple australia discount looks good so hopefully it'll be the same.

A friend of mine has all his forms (model/venue releases etc) on his. The client/model just sign the iPad an he then sends them a copy and has a hard copy printed when synched to his Mac.
Dean:)

^^ hmm - that actually makes sense... albeit kinda over the top but yeah, i can see that! thanks for sharing

Check the Apple Store. £35 off for today only !!
Gettin my order in.

A friend of mine has all his forms (model/venue releases etc) on his. The client/model just sign the iPad an he then sends them a copy and has a hard copy printed when synched to his Mac.
Dean:)

Yeah. I have that on my iPad - but I tend to use it on my phone because of the camera.

2 mins to create properly written release with picture of model, signature and witness. Then it's PDFd and emailed to model and me.

thanks for all the posts... i ended up buying one (using girlfriend's card as she said it's my xmas present) and ended up going from 16gb to 32gb last friday during the apple sale.

at the mo - i can't find any good photography apps tho (free ones preferably) so at the mo, this ipad feels like a giant ipod to me... ;(

thanks for all the posts... i ended up buying one (using girlfriend's card as she said it's my xmas present) and ended up going from 16gb to 32gb last friday during the apple sale.

at the mo - i can't find any good photography apps tho (free ones preferably) so at the mo, this ipad feels like a giant ipod to me... ;(

Well it is an ipod with a big screen :)

Purchasing one for my father for xmas.

Going to try an archos 70 myself, half the price of an ipad so not expecting huge things but I'm hoping the fact it can act as a usb host means I can take it on holiday and move stuff around from cf cards onto usb drives etc something you can't usually do with ios or android

Ive had my iPad since they came out and i got the 64GB 3G model and it never leaves my side its amazing i use it for so many other things mainly reading and my photos there are even plenty of apps you can use to quickly edit your pics while out and about if needed and most of them are pretty simple i am pretty knowledgeable on the iPad so if anyone needs any help and assistance pm me im more than happy to help :)

Well it is an ipod with a big screen :)

Purchasing one for my father for xmas.

Going to try an archos 70 myself, half the price of an ipad so not expecting huge things but I'm hoping the fact it can act as a usb host means I can take it on holiday and move stuff around from cf cards onto usb drives etc something you can't usually do with ios or android

I had my eye on the Archos 101 so popped to the big Curry's Megastore in Lakeside retail park. I was pretty dissappointed with it to be honest.

I went to have a fiddle with the iPad straight after and it's MILES ahead. The screen on the archos is dreadful I found.

I had my eye on the Archos 101 so popped to the big Curry's Megastore in Lakeside retail park. I was pretty dissappointed with it to be honest.

I went to have a fiddle with the iPad straight after and it's MILES ahead. The screen on the archos is dreadful I found.

yeah, i think partly android isn't geared up for the higher res of the 10", the 7" one uses a standard phone res, but I'm managing my expecations as it's less than half the price of the galaxy tab etc

Back