Who'd be a Vegan

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

R9boW7m.jpg

Les :oops: :$:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That is so revolting. I doubt real vegans would be tempted anyway, but why do the food processors and supermarkets think that a veggie version of meat is attractive? A sausage is made from meat (ok, not cheap supermarket ones, but proper ones). A veggie meal should look like a veggie meal, full of colourful beans and florets and other lovely healthy things, not grey substitute mush.

One would suppose that there are traditional vegetable filled sausage forms out there somewhere.
However they are unlikely to be vegetarian or vegan, as the skins would have been animal based.
But the sausage form, in various sizes, seems to have been universal since time immemorial.

Lots of people eat vegi meat, me and Mrs included. I do get a bit baffled that people have an issue with this :D

People have different tastes, that's all and if some want to eat a vegetable based food shaped and looking like meat then so what? At lease this vegi meat gives a different look to a plate otherwise full of colourful veg.

There's really no reason why someone like me who gave up eating meat over 20 years ago shouldn't enjoy a pretend meat sausage or burger or steak. Mrs WW has started to make her own "meat" burgers and stakes and they're absolutely lovely. They're just a mix of different flours and various bean or pea or similar plus spices but they have or get very close to the consistency of the real thing. Add some spicy source and some roasted chips and/or veg and they make a very very nice meal.

Last edited:
TBH I think we should be grateful to the vegans / vegetarians .. :D

d40.jpg

Blame the alcohol.

Today we'll be having fried baby potatoes and Quorn roast which is pretend chicken.

I think this stuff is primarily designed for people who want to try being vegan, or want to reduce their meat intake for whatever reasons but can't get away from wanting meat or preparing everything from scratch. I tend to assume for most people its because it is on trend at the moment.

I guess it all comes down to the reasons why you chose to be Vegan. If you are doing it for the moral reasons then I can understand eating meat substitutes, if it is for health reasons and to eat a better diet then these ultra-processed fake meats are not the way to go. This is pretty widely recognised in science.

The wife and I went Vegan for a month (we already avoid any processed food so of course stuck to that rule) and it was incredibly hard work to vary our diet, get the nutrition we needed and feel full. I think this is why so many of these 'substitute' foods exist, proper veganism is an ENORMOUS deviation from the standard diet and far too difficult for most people.

We've had a few couple friends who went Vegan, but ate loads of the substitute stuff and also anything that was 'vegan safe' including things like Oreo's, Coca Cola etc. They did it for like 6 months and generally felt crap, put on weight and weren't performing as well in their physical hobbies or at their manual jobs.

The one friend who did it for health reasons to improve his diet, he prepares everything from scratch, he has lost loads of weight and says he feels fine with a manual job and does a few very taxing physical hobbies which he can do no problem. I think the difference is he doesn't eat processed food. He could probably achieve the same physical benefits while consuming animal products though, as we do.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a naturally vegan mammal. ;)

Shrunken penis in a box anyone?

:puke:

I bought some not meat based 'bacon' a couple of weeks back. It was rather like a serious drag act, where you could tell what it was trying to be, and it was sending out all the key signals, yet simply wasn't what it said on the tin. Smokey, salty, dark red/brown, able to go crispy when fried, yet almost completely unlike bacon.

Shrunken penis in a box anyone?

:puke:

I bought some not meat based 'bacon' a couple of weeks back. It was rather like a serious drag act, where you could tell what it was trying to be, and it was sending out all the key signals, yet simply wasn't what it said on the tin. Smokey, salty, dark red/brown, able to go crispy when fried, yet almost completely unlike bacon.
Yes we are vegetarian and my wife keeps buying different vege bacon and it’s always horrible :oops: :$
I do eat fish though

Yes we are vegetarian and my wife keeps buying different vege bacon and it’s always horrible :oops: :$
A few people have said to me, over time, that they'd happily go Veggie
But then there is Bacon ...

The thing is though, you don’t have to cut it out completely, just maybe reduce consumption to get all the positives and benefits. If you ate meat say twice a week you’d still be helping reduce the environmental impacts (not such an issue in this country) and improving your health. It doesn’t have to be a dichotomy.

The thing is though, you don’t have to cut it out completely, just maybe reduce consumption to get all the positives and benefits. If you ate meat say twice a week you’d still be helping reduce the environmental impacts (not such an issue in this country) and improving your health. It doesn’t have to be a dichotomy.
This. There really is no need to go to extremes. We've cut out a lot of meat in recent years. We'd eat more fish but, given our proximity to the coast, it's so difficult to get anything decent.

Last edited:
I don't have meat on my cornflakes. Hmmm . . . bacon bits maybe . . . :thinking:

Yes, that's about right. But if you eat dairy products (which I do......) you still have to deal with the knowledge that most male calves have to be killed soon after birth. And that all those dairy cows emit vast quantities of methane, which contributes massively to global warming.

So veganism makes a lot of sense. I couldn't imagine life without cheese, though......

If you want that bacony taste I can fully recommend Bacon.
Yep I know it’s the missus that keeps buying the stuff and every time I say it’s going to be horrible and every time I can say I told you so :oops: :$
My favourite now is cheese on toast with an egg

cheese on toast
TBH that is a tough call between that and a bacon butty ..

Although someone I worked ages ago, had that covered, cheese and bacon sarnies.
I'm not convinced on that one though.

Cheese on toast with a bacon lid is pretty good.

Mrs Nod is veggie so a lot of our home cooking (in fact, most of it) is veggie but I get my meat fixes when we eat out. If I do cook meaty, it tends to be a vat of chilli which lasts ages in the freezer in portion controlled... portions.

Yep I know it’s the missus that keeps buying the stuff and every time I say it’s going to be horrible and every time I can say I told you so :oops: :$
My favourite now is cheese on toast with an egg

TBH that is a tough call between that and a bacon butty ..

Although someone I worked ages ago, had that covered, cheese and bacon sarnies.
I'm not convinced on that one though.
Close but no cigar.
The correct answer is egg and chips.

I don’t quite understand why vegetarians and vegans choose not to eat meat or products generated from meat and the eat products made to resemble and attempt to taste like meat and meat based products.
And then complain they don’t taste like the real thing.
My wife is a diagnosed coeliac and requires a gluten free diet. She would kill to eat a proper Cornish pastie or crusty roll that doesn’t taste like cardboard and can’t on health grounds

Egg always makes me think of upset tummies.

Me too - I always end up with the runs if I eat any that are more than a few days old, so that rules out anything that comes from a supermarket or shop.

I used to get them fresh from a neighbour who kept chickens and ducks (I love duck eggs), but I moved away and now can't source any. :sulk:

There is no such thing as a naturally vegan mammal. ;)
What about cattle, sheep, goats, horses?
I do eat fish though
Not vegetarian then . . .

Personally, I agree with veganism and have several close family members who are vegan, but the nearest that I get to being a vegan myself is to eat vegan food - mainly cattle and sheep.

I love the idea of an egg but they bounce on me! I can eat them as mayonnaise, meringue and in cakes etc. so it's not an allergy or an intolerance, all I can think is that I was taken to Austria one Easter when I was 3 or 4 and the Austrians spoiled me with Easter treats - real eggs!

Reactions: Sky
What about cattle, sheep, goats, horses?

Not vegetarian then . . .

Personally, I agree with veganism and have several close family members who are vegan, but the nearest that I get to being a vegan myself is to eat vegan food - mainly cattle and sheep.
To be exact then I think it’s called a pescatarian

Back