Whoooooosh! Virgin just upgraded me from 20meg to 60meg for FREE!

Virgin's quoted speeds and all the upgrades sound great. But when I was with them they 'managed' traffic so much it became useless. They seemed more interested in grabbing headlines - quantity, not quality. Pity, as I used to be very, very happy with cable back in the days of Telewest/Blueyonder.

I switched to O2 (still on their legacy package) and get full download/upload speeds all the time, no throttling. But I do acknowledge I'm close to the exchange, so somewhat lucky in that respect.

But hay, whatever works for you, etc. :)

All ISP throttle manage, some are just more open about it than others.
Virgin are quite open about what they do, based on the package you buy from them.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

I'm now a very happy Virgin customer.

I've been with them for about 6 years now, and gradually adopted services as they've come available. I'm currently on XL TV with a Tivo, additional V+HD box, 30MB broadband and free daytime/evening phone calls. It came out at £73 per month.

A quick call today and I've had the broadband doubled to 60MB (it was being doubled in October anyway) and they've reduced my package price by £10 per month!! The new collection took off £5 and they took another £5 for being a long term customer. What a result.

Last edited:
Just checked the test, I'm sitting around 20 just now, according to other linky, getting upgraded to double this month, nice one (y)

Make sure you get the new Superhub when upgrading...........it's free too!

you'd think with their super-duper download speeds they'd offer better upload speeds too :shrug:

1871049839.png

you'd think with their super-duper download speeds they'd offer better upload speeds too :shrug:

1871049839.png

From someone that's got an immense upload speeds compared to most :LOL: and you've an upload that is 3 times my download :crying:

MWHCVT said:
From someone that's got an immense upload speeds compared to most :LOL: and you've an upload that is 3 times my download :crying:

I feel your pain Tom, those numbers you put up must be agonising to live with! Your online gaming must be restricted to stuff like WolfenStein 3d and Horace Goes Skiing. :(

I feel your pain Tom, those numbers you put up must be agonising to live with! Your online gaming must be restricted to stuff like WolfenStein 3d and Horace Goes Skiing. :(

Sorry what is this online gaming :LOL: there have been times that my connection is not even able to cope with online card games, and youtube, sorry not today thank you :shake: what is worse about 6 months ago I had a connection that over the last 6 or so years has slowly got worse to the point my connection was 0.75mb down and 0.05mb up, imagine uploading a couple of hundred mb in photo's at that speed :bang: :bang: so I spent 3 months arguing an complaining to BT to have them slowly up the speed to 2.25 down and 0.35-8 up and now the download is getting worse again :crying:

Matt

Point me to a joe public ISP that says they do not traffic manage and I will point you to a joe public ISP that's a liar ;)

A&A

No traffic shaping, blocked ports, censorship, proxies or any other interfering rubbish in my connection. I always get download throughput in the correct proportion to the modem download sync speed.

I don't know what a "joe public" ISP is. I am a member of the public and they are the ISP I use for the internet connection at my home. My employer uses a different ISP at my workplace.

A&A

No traffic shaping, blocked ports, censorship, proxies or any other interfering rubbish in my connection. I always get download throughput in the correct proportion to the modem download sync speed.

I don't know what a "joe public" ISP is. I am a member of the public and they are the ISP I use for the internet connection at my home. My employer uses a different ISP at my workplace.

;)

:wacky:

(see, I can play the "post a single meaningless smiley as a reply" game too)

Go back and read carefully what I wrote there's a good chap, it shouldn't be to hard for you seeing as you quoted me in your post #49 :nuts:

If you still cant work it out after that then maybe you shouldn't be partaking in this thread :bonk:

Traffic Management ...

Virgin Media has published the download and upload traffic management constraints that will accompany the new "double" speeds as they roll out. Full details at thinkbroadband.com, but here are the XXL limitations:
XXL 50Mbps and XL60: If you download more than 5Gb between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be halved for five hours, if you upload more than 12Gb you'll have to put up with operating at 25% of your normal speed for five hours. XXL 100Mbps customers hit their speed bumps at 10Gb on the download and 12Gb on the upload.

Personally i`m happy with my deal, as I don`t download that much anyway ...

Tivo, V+ box, TV XL, 10 meg BB (soon to be 20), & Talk anytime for £56 a month.

Just so you can all see how crap mine is

Just to make you feel a little better Matt in knowing you don't have the slowest, my connection speed at home is just 1mb. I contacted Deutsche Telekom and complained as I was initially told when we bought the house (rural) and selected the phone/internet package that we could get up to 7mb. Aye right, only if everone else in the village and surrounding area doesn't go online! I was told by the nice customer support lady that there are plans to upgrade our area. At some point in the next 10 years!! :bang:

So Germany is as bad as the UK when it comes to the cities getting it all and the rural areas getting sod all. :dummy:

Well it seems i had a fault and i wasnt throttled ( soz virgin) engineer was out this morning and sorted it as well as upgrading my old hub to the new super hub :) and hopefully by the end of next week i'll be on 100mb.

Lol, I clicked and was advised July in my area...cool that means I might actualy get the 20 meg I,m paying for.(y)

I'm in the process of having someone come out to see if our street is ready for this fibre optic cable broadband. I already know the answer of course because I've had one of those cards through the door saying 'Sorry you were out, but you are ready for fibre optic :)
Shame the Virgin website still says our street isn't enabled, if I can't order it online, I can't get the free £50 installation) :(

I live on an Island and the lines can only handle 8Mb. I was with AOL for a number of years which was hell! I was getting as low a 0.06Mb peak times!

Now with BT i get 4-5Mb Consistently.

I think it's all to do with the contention ratio, BT's is obviously much lower as they own the lines.

Back