Whoop - My photos on the BBC website

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I usually go to the prom to take a few photos of the bikers at the weekend. When I saw an article about the town council banning the bikers, I sent the BBC a few photos and they used two of them, albeit with a strange crop.

Anyway, the photos are here and I'm quite pleased. Its very nice to get something published :)

These are the two that were used:
Bikers5of5.jpg

Bikers1of5.jpg

Thanks benwall. I didn't get anything for them as tbh, they're not worth anything. Just some snaps I took for my own interest which turned out to be relevant to a story they were running.

Well done squire.........(y)

Well done it's a great feeling isn't it..

Thanks guys, I've never had anything on the BBC website before so I'm chuffed :)

Congratulations on getting your pictures published.

I remember when I had a couple of my pictures used by the local news, I was well pleased

Congratulations! There has been a few things I've attended lately where I've seen them use the publics photos in the local news papers and there quite obviously not very good quality but the best they could find, I must start emailing them, it can't hurt after all.

Its not the first time I've been published (I've done quite a lot of local press) but its really cool to me to have something on the BBC :)

I'm only credited in the alt-tag on the first image, doesn't matter though - I know its mine :wave:

They should have paid for those shots. They arn't even freely submitted reader pics, they are photos that make that article what it is. They arn't worth nothing.

You should have insisted on payment. If you don't it devalues photography and particularly press photography.

Plus they didn't credit you properly. Seriously, the BBC are an absolute joke when it comes to photography for news stories.

I disagree with you there 8utters - The story ran perfectly well without the photos which I submitted after I saw them, there was no effort on my part to take them as I was just messing about by the prom and therefore no remuneration is required. I've done lots of press work in the past and always charged where appropriate but in my opinion it isn't needed here.

I submitted the photos to the BBC because I thought it would be cool to see them up there and it is :D

Been said already, but well done Rob! You missed a trick with that T2 shot though, Meirion got one on the same day you were out and got it published in AFM. FYI, 2 jets at Valley now!

Cheesy

Hi Cheesy,

Yeah I was well gutted about that T2 - go around twice next time :bat:

[edit] FFS I'm so gutted about missing the T2 :puke: [/edit]

I can't wait to get back up the hills but I'm buggered until I a) finish my dissertation and b) buy a long lens.

I've never tried sending anything in to AFM - I might buy the next issue and have a leaf through :)

I disagree with you there 8utters - The story ran perfectly well without the photos which I submitted after I saw them, there was no effort on my part to take them as I was just messing about by the prom and therefore no remuneration is required. I've done lots of press work in the past and always charged where appropriate but in my opinion it isn't needed here.

I submitted the photos to the BBC because I thought it would be cool to see them up there and it is :D

Doesn't matter why or how you took them, if the BBC used them in a story they should have paid you. Simple as.

Charging is always needed for press work, doesn't matter if they are just snaps you took whilst out and about. The industry is already severely lacking jobs and work, free photos just damage it further.

Doesn't matter why or how you took them, if the BBC used them in a story they should have paid you. Simple as.

Charging is always needed for press work, doesn't matter if they are just snaps you took whilst out and about. The industry is already severely lacking jobs and work, free photos just damage it further.

I'm afriad I disagree, the photo has no inherent value as it took no effort to take, it is the essence of a "snap". If I have been commissioned or it was an image that I'd worked hard on then of course I would have charged for it but the fact remains that this photo is only on the site because I emailed it to them on spec.

I pretty much agree with Chase Jarvis on the issue of free photos - the ship has sailed. There is a nice discussion of the issue here

Back