Whooper swans

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
It's back to that time of year again where I go out and get pictures of whooper swans in low light. This time was the first hard test of the 7D. These two were taken in the 15 minutes or so after sunset and are taken at 1/15s and 1600 ISO - so the AF isn't terrible!

Both EOS-7D, EF 500 f/4L IS, tripod, gimbal

Thanks for looking

Paul

Two very nice shots which work very well.
I'm a big fan of low light wildlife photograph which shows the motion of the subject as superbly as this.

I know it's not to everyones taste, but I also like to dabble in this kind of stuff and just now and again I get nicely surprised at the results :D

:clap: The second shot is a corker, would love to see more.

Anthony

Love the first one(y)(y)

.............but not sure about the second - I would have liked to see the nearest bird more in focus:)

Thanks guys. Not sure what you mean about the second Keith as the nearest bird is in focus (or do you mean the front one?) I deliberately chose the back one nearest to us to be in focus but I guess that isn't to everyone's taste...

Super given the shutter speed used Paul, I would have just got white smears :D

Two good shots for different reasons Paul. I have been reading up on this kind of photography , and was thinking of having a go at it. will have to get down to Blagdon lake as this would seem to be my best bet, assuming that a longer stretch of water you have, makes life easier for panning :shrug:

Thanks Alby

Rich, yes a good open stretch of water helps get the horizontal line from panning. A tripod is a must and I have to say, swans are harder than many birds as they bob their heads in flight. A lot of images were wasted due to this. You can see this a bit on the two of the set of three and it was purely luck that the third kept its head level...

Thanks Alby

Rich, yes a good open stretch of water helps get the horizontal line from panning. A tripod is a must and I have to say, swans are harder than many birds as they bob their heads in flight. A lot of images were wasted due to this. You can see this a bit on the two of the set of three and it was purely luck that the third kept its head level...

Cheers Paul, from what I can remember of watching Swans take off, their head is stretched out rigid to start with as all their energy is sent backwards to the legs and wings. Then as they gain momentum that is when they start bobbing their head :shrug: As they dont all take off at exactly the same time, the capture in #2 shows them at slightly different stages of take off, and I think that works well myself (y)

Actually Rich, they are just coming in to land. Take off is far to frantic for 1/15s!!!

:bang::bang::LOL::LOL::LOL: Flip the picture around Paul, so it makes me look clever :D

Good pics - No1 esp. so.

Back