Whooper Swans

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
There's nothing special about these shots but I thought I'd at least post the one with both of them on the water,with one clearly asleep. I took it at Slimbridge yesterday afternoon at 2.30pm and these two had arrived at sunrise (7.15) after their migration.I believe they came from Iceland which is a 900 mile journey and these swans make the longest over sea migration of all swans.I checked to see if that would be non-stop and it would be as they do keep flying throughout the night too. Pretty impressive. No wonder they're tired. I assume they've waited for the NW winds we're now getting..hence the cold.The Bewicks haven't arrived yet but they come from even farther afield..Arctic Russia. Maybe they will arrive when we get north easterlies.

30kf66u.jpg

s6hzdk.jpg

2nd for me John, majestic pose :)

2nd for me John, majestic pose :)

Agree,Roger. That very word went through my mind. The first shot was really just to show them in recovery mode otherwise I would't have posted it. The second looks a bit soft on the head to be honest.

Sames as gramps, the second shot shows this bird really well. I really must visit Slimbridge sometime !

Sames as gramps, the second shot shows this bird really well. I really must visit Slimbridge sometime !

Thanks,Gary.

Yes, if you're not too far away a day it's worth a day at Slimbridge is often rewarding but choose a good-light day. They open at 9.30 am.

Back