Whoops. Exposure Issue...

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
So had some Provia out last night for a trial. The plan was to make a couple of exposure round the 30s mark which I've used in the past for light buildings but I totally misremembered my aperture settings last night so instead of stopping down to F8 I shot at F4.

I made three compositions and bracketed 20s, 30s and 50s but looking at my chart 1-2s would have been more appropriate for one shot and 15s for the other two. Given its slide film and I can just reshoot these. Should I even bother paying to develop them or just stick the roll in a drawer for the kids to find in 20 years time and come on and ask someone to soup it for them...

Develop them, they might not be "right" exposure wise, but I have done similar and got, lets say interesting results.

Mart

I'll stick them in the fridge and next time I send out for developing I'll put them in the envelop but I expect I'm just going to see clear acetate on the return.

Get them done, unless they are completely clear there's always something you can learn from the experience.
You never know, reciprocity failure is easy to misjudge, I do a bit of guessing on night shoots, more often than not 90% of them are under.

30s at f8 sounds like a hell of a lot too much. Any 30s exposures i do outdoors on a bright day are usually at something like f32 and up. Just how light were the buildings? I think 30s at f4 on slide film would be a bit of a waste of money developing.

Get them done, unless they are completely clear there's always something you can learn from the experience.
You never know, reciprocity failure is easy to misjudge, I do a bit of guessing on night shoots, more often than not 90% of them are under.

I expect they'll be completely clear, Provia has really good reciprocity characteristics.

30s at f8 sounds like a hell of a lot too much. Any 30s exposures i do outdoors on a bright day are usually at something like f32 and up. Just how light were the buildings? I think 30s at f4 on slide film would be a bit of a waste of money developing.

One was quite well lit, the others were take from about a mile away so they were relatively dim. With hind sight it's clearly wrong but when I was doing it I wasn't really thinking about the exposure as I was convinced I'd already worked it out. But I expect most of these will be lovely clear acetate.

Got back the second shoot back. F5.6 @2,4 & 8s. 2 and 4 seemed a little thin 8 was okay but probably could have used another stop on less well lit objects. I might be able to drag a little more out from the scanner that assessment was from using the iPad as a light box. I'm starting to think the 20s shots might actually be okay.

Back