Whoopsie! [$10K lens snapped in half after fall]

What a loss, but a ridiculous price for a lens....

Wait that lens was white inside that Nikon paint, so have they just been repainting can's best :naughty: :canon:

At least see had a good story, for the destruction, sure beats my falling over in my lounge and breaking a 2xTC and a Sigma 120-300/2.8

I dropped my sigma 35 1.4 the other week. Just pure butter fingers, I was taking the hood off and it just went - straight onto a stone floor.

I was half afraid to look, but it's completely fine :) Id have cried, really, if it busted - and that's just a £799 lens.

Done that,claimed on that, £&#* happens

Only a cheap Tamron in my case, and got more from the insurance than I paid for the lens :D

http://fullym.com/10000-camera-lens-splits-in-half/

Ouch. Says the lens was insured, but fully covered for a 12 -14 foot drop??
The lens is either covered or it's not, the height isn't relevant.

From the few reports I've read lens/camera breakages on those artic trips is far from rare. You're cold, the gear is cold, you slip it's easy to do at the sort of temperatures they'd have been experiencing.

Dropped my canon 600mm f4 with a 1Dmkiv attached into a lake. :)

Ya wha?? did you recover it?

On the insurance point; I would have thought it's a bit like trying to insure a house in commonly flooded areas against water damage, trying to insure gear of that price level for such outings? as in, they'd laugh you out of it.

Just goes to show what can happen when things get cold.
Winters coming Boys!

It would be interesting to see what the insurers said. There is a reason why all those big lenses are supplied with straps...

And if anybody wants to see what Matthew did to our Sigma 120-300 + 2x TC, plus a couple of other similar cases, the thread is here. Over the years we've had a few lenses end up (*) like this, but never anything worth more than about £2000.

(*) I say "end up" but in fact they've always been repairable.

I saw a guy carry one of those about 10 k through the rain forest, get in a very tippy boat and then drop it in a lake. I don't think he took a shot all day.

Fortunately only the hood went in. Swimmers had "disappeared" from that lake so nobody would have gone in after it.

IIRC it was a rental.

And if anybody wants to see what Matthew did to our Sigma 120-300 + 2x TC, plus a couple of other similar cases, the thread is here. Over the years we've had a few lenses end up (*) like this, but never anything worth more than about £2000.

(*) I say "end up" but in fact they've always been repairable.

Yeah that wasn't my best day, must something about me and big sigmas, as the only bit of camera equipment I had in the car during my recent rollover was my Sigma 150-500 and it didn't fair well :(

Back