who's fault

• Me

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Them

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Both

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
Rear view mirror. She wasn't behind me. she drove in from the side.

So you had already reversed fully into the gap......though when you say drove into your side, just where is the impact area???

So you had already reversed fully into the gap......though when you say drove into your side, just where is the impact area???
Yes so out of moving traffic between two cars and reversing closer to the car behind. Impact is on the very corner of the bumper.

Yes so out of moving traffic between two cars and reversing closer to the car behind. Impact is on the very corner of the bumper.

Hmmm! yes, I originally read it as that you were already in the gap (just how long did you pause before reversing) and as you say the very corner of the bumper it reads as that there was still a considerable gap behind you i.e. enough for her to have considering reversing into it, was it possible you were still moving???

I've said to sort out our own damage now so its irrelevant but I've put a rubbish diagram up anyway.

The patch on the ground behind the silver honda is where she was parked.

You can just see the tip of the car behind my grey one where i was reversing.

IMG_20180808_113124.jpg

she comes across the road and into the gap i'm reversing in. She was not parking she turning around to drive out of the street.

IMG_20180810_193854.jpg

My car has not moved the car is where the impact happened. you can see the damage on the corner.

IMG_20180808_113100.jpg

Last edited:
It’s your bumper that’s impacted ,I believe they are some sort of plastic compound and can be bent out with hot water ,I know I have watched the videos of how to do it ,didn’t look hard to do .

Btw your parked facing the wrong way , you should always be parked so your rear reflectors are visible to oncoming traffic ,don’t think it’s law anymore but good common sense practice

On the basis of that sketch I'd say the fault is hers. Maybe not 100% hers, but mostly hers. She was driving forward into that space and could see you as she was doing so. Even if you started moving after she did, she should have seen you and she should have stopped.

On the basis of that sketch I'd say the fault is hers. Maybe not 100% hers, but mostly hers. She was driving forward into that space and could see you as she was doing so. Even if you started moving after she did, she should have seen you and she should have stopped.

The way I read it all initially was that both were reversing but I agree the way the OP has drawn it infers she was driving forwards ....thus possibly putting a higher proportion of blame (?) on her. But without the absolute clarity of a video record it will always be one person's explanation being counteracted by the other person.

a heat gun on the bumper going back and forwards over the damage and push from the back of the bumper it may pop odds on it was both your blind spots but still think she had more of a chance seeing you than you did her

Glad to hear that ye have decided to sort out your own damages. It was very ambiguous at the start as to who was actually at fault. It still isn't 100% but as you have sorted it, it's immaterial now anyway.
A strained relationship between neighbours over something relatively minor may have had long ranging repercussions, so fair play to you.
At least no one was hurt.
Well done you (y)(y)(y)

I've said to sort out our own damage now so its irrelevant but I've put a rubbish diagram up anyway.

The patch on the ground behind the silver honda is where she was parked.

You can just see the tip of the car behind my grey one where i was reversing.

she comes across the road and into the gap i'm reversing in. She was not parking she turning around to drive out of the street.

My car has not moved the car is where the impact happened. you can see the damage on the corner.

IMG_20180808_113100.jpg

Looking at the photo - you 'might' be able to push it back out - carefully heat it up with a hot air gun and from behind ease it back out - might go back pretty much perfect, if not would def be better than it is now and 'maybe' okay for you...

Good luck - def worth try :)

Anybody reversing is responsible for an accident. (It's in the highway code - something about "most risky manoeuvre").

Both vehicles reversing = split. Only exception is if one party admits full fault - even then, most insurance companies will go for a split.

I'm not sure I understand the diagram - if you are reversing and she's going forwards then an insurance company would say it's your fault. But if your team is aggressive them may pursue a split.

Either way, looks like it's all sorted amicably :) Just don't forget to tell your insurers - it's usually in the small print.

Back